SheBelieves 2017

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Jan 11, 2017.

1. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's another:

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2017/3/9/14850300/uswnt-2017-shebelieves-cup-france-jill-ellis

I particularly liked this part:

Namdynamo and BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  2. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ellis is just saying too many things at this point that are concerning....

3. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
  4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    I feel like Ellis so badly wants to leave a mark on this team but doesn't have the necessary tactical leadership to make it happen. She keeps on inserting these players into unnatural positions. Is the issue Lloyd not being benchable? But even then, she finally starts a decent looking back 3 against England and where is Krieger? At LB. And she didn't exactly have the greatest game. Do Johnston and Saurerbrunn both have a place in that type of 3 back? Why not something like KO JJ/BS AK? Or hell, why not put KO in MF with that extra spot created?
    Why is Brian looking so bad these days? Injuries? Off games? Natural decline?
    People have also said Pugh has hit a bit of a wall. Perhaps that wall is Jill Ellis. Maybe Moe is running into the same issue.

I think a large issue is that Jill thinks this magical formation is going to suddenly unlock something. It looks great against the Romanias of the world. What could go wrong? Except offense first doesn't work against a team not afraid to go right at you. And when you have so many playing unnatural positions just because you want that person on the field, how they instinctively react won't always fit the new position. And how do you develop true chemistry like that?

EbaJones repped this.
  6. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found this interview with Tobin Heath after the Germany game interesting, in regard to the 3-back system, where the team is with that formation, and how the players looked at the tournament given they were playing that formation. It gives some perspective to the results.

7. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008

Everyone is very much in-line with what Jill is saying, even down the exact same terminology and wording.

Drink the juice Shelby. Drink the juice.

8. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Brian's been playing out of position for so long (not just with the NT, but with the Dash too), she's probably facing the same issues Heath had to go through. It wasn't until last year that Heath finally seemed to put it all together, so I guess we'll see Brian finally figure it out around 2022...