SheBelieves 2017

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Jan 11, 2017.

1. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    That was easily the worst weather I've had watching a game. And to think a week ago it was 70. What could have been [emoji37]

2. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    It might not be pretty viewing for game 3. I watched the highlights of D.C. United's home opener and the RFK pitch is shockingly bad. Looks bumpy with lots of of bald spots. It's like they know a new stadium is coming, so they are neglecting the current grounds.

jnielsen repped this.
  3. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And wunderground.com does not have a pitch-friendly forecast:

Tuesday: 70 % Precip. / 0.06 in
    Cloudy with light rain developing later in the day. High around 65F. Winds SSW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 70%.
    Tuesday Night: 60 % Precip. / 0.15 in
    Considerable cloudiness with occasional rain showers. Thunder possible. Low 49F. Winds SW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 60%.​

4. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know how to see USA vs. England? I missed it and am trying to find a way to watch it.

5. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    It re-airs on FS2 at 3 ET/Noon PT on Monday. I wish Fox Sports Go had on demand viewing of past games like WatchESPN does, though.

jnielsen repped this.
  6. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't watched it either yet, but I hope to see it by tomorrow and post some comments.

7. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A wet, sloppy pitch may help to negate France's technical "superiority", but both teams will play on that pitch. At least it won't be icy!

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FoxSoccer2Go has on demand viewing. The game is still available to watch there if you have an account.

Airox repped this.
  9. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Yeah, but that's not free with the cable subscription I already pay for.

Dundalk24 and jnielsen repped this.
  10. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    I was able to watch England-France for free on the first day as it wasn't key locked. But the Germany-France match required a paid subscription, this was a separate charge from my cable sub.

11. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Like I said RFK is a poor venue. pitch looks terrible. Veiwing has never been great. facility about to fall down.

12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    But not really.

I did have to laugh when I overheard two women looking for their seats... literally looking for their seats. They were missing.

13. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    The pitch at RFK Stadium looks atrocious. I saw the highlights of DC United over the weekend and knew it would be rough. But sheesh. The weather isn't *that* bad in Washington, DC. Certainly no worse than Chester, PA or Harrison, NJ and those pitches were fine. Did the RFK grounds crew just completely give up, knowing that DC United is vacating the stadium soon? Well I got news for them. Audi Field won't be ready until summer 2018 at the earliest, they better get their act together and make RFK playable in the time being. This is just embarrassing. They are basically playing on dirt in large portions of the field.

14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Except I'm at RFK right now and this past Saturday when I was actually on it. It doesn't look good on one side especially from high angles, but for the most part they are not divets. There are discolored spots. Stuff happens. Since you still won't believe me

15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The sky just opened up.

16. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    I wonder how stagnant the offensive and movement off the ball will be today?

Everyone go to their section of the field and run in circles again. but this is great GREAT sophisticated soccer. Love, Jill.

17. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    France was raining goals.
    (I haven't seen the game, went to watch Logan)

18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I had planned on doing that today. From another thread:
    Regrets.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  19. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had fun at the game. Glad I can have fun even when my team doesn't do well!

jnielsen and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  20. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    I honestly wanted to see the US play France more than any other game. It was also the team that I thought was most likely to expose this backline. I thought they were the better team last year too but couldn't finish. They solved the finishing issue this year.
    Will hopefully watch the game itself soon.

Airox repped this.
  21. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't done one of my play by play analysis & breakdowns in quite some time (how many days since last USWNT games, how many days since NWSL?) and find myself with an itch to do it for the SBC. I'm leaning towards two threads.

The first is Casey Short. Her performance seems to be the most disagreed about subject among posters on this board. The second is Sam Mewis, where her performance is the opposite & seems most posters think it was good... myself included. I'd like to see if a closer look at the details validates or disproves my initial impressions.

So I'll be comparing the play-by-play statistics of Casey Short with the other "wide" CB's like Sauerbrunn (which is just weird to say) and the play by play of Sam Mewis with the other holding midfielders (Brian in games 1 & 3, Horan in game 2).

I'm open to suggestions.

jnielsen repped this.
  22. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008

The problem with Short is Ellis is using her wrong and in the wrong system. Short's best attribute is getting forward, making crossing runs and making crosses into the box. Which is why we saw Short nowhere to be found in Frances first two goals. If this were a 4 back, i could see using short. In a 3 back, it's idiotic.

Short also has some tactical errors in her game. For example, when chasing after a ball or an attacking winger, she rarely uses her body to slow down the opponent. Something outside backs need to do. Short instead relies solely on her speed. Kling, Krieger and even Ohara all learned to use their bodies and get into position so much better. All three mentioned also read the game MUCH MUCH better.

EbaJones repped this.
  23. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    I mean, a lot of the same could be said for Sauerbrunn. She is an exceptional CB but doesn't have the speed for the outside position in a 3back. And Long should not be the last line of defense.

jnielsen, EbaJones and sitruc repped this.
  24. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as a UNC fan I've always gotten used to the idea of all 3 defenders in a 3 back being CB types. Short doesn't fit that mold to me. It feels odd to me that Sauerbrunn is outside as much as she is, but she's just as effective in her current position as she is in a 4 back. Her width really only changes when the US is in possession.