She Believes Cup 2018

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Hamburgler03, Dec 21, 2017.

1. runningoz

runningoz Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    14k and some change was announced at the game. Somehow they sold more tickets than the first playoff game even though the entire West upper deck wasn’t available fir purchase..............

SLSHOT01, Draghignazzo and CrewV Man repped this.
  2. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Announced at 14,500+.

You lost your bet and I had two Schmidt’s Brats [emoji16]

3. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    SLSHOT01, Jaybir, stanger and 1 other person repped this.
  4. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Entire lower bowl was pretty filled. A scattering of people on the upper tier on the east side. upper tier west side was vacant. So i'd gather how ever much the lower bowl seats is pretty close to actual attendance.

Of course, it emptied out pretty good at half time

5. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But here's my thing. I'm strongly doubting there was much walk up. So they knew in advance there could/would be 14,000 people there. Then why were there so few concession workers?

One of the guys I was with went to get his daughter a pretzel and hot chocolate and was probably in line for over 20 minutes, and that was in the middle of the first half.

I was in line for hot chocolate for 40 minutes (starting just before half time)

I know it's run by US Soccer. But if I'm someone coming for this game because my daughter is a big Alex Morgan fan or some such, I'm not walking away from that wanting to come to a crew game.:
    - Line to get in the parking lot was bad.
    - Everyone I went with (we had a group of 7 families from my daughters team) complained about the parking price.
    - (Security wasn't too terrible, considering.)
    - The aforementioned concession issue
    - And even though the stadium was only a quarter full (if that) by the end of the game, it was still a pain in the butt to get out of the parking lot (on a cold school night).

This isn't to say the stadium can't work. It's that it's not being run well

TKyle, Draghignazzo and CrewV Man repped this.
  6. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Concession lines were as bad as I have ever seen and that includes all the sold out Mexico games and Crew games. There weren't many of the portable concession carts open so the majority was on the pavilion or regular stadium stands.

I agree they knew it would be 14,000+. I believe the games are bought by US Soccer but I can't imagine the actual running of the facility isn't done by our regular, incompetent FO.

7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You had me at the brats.... :D

stanger repped this.
  8. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a good turnout for bad weather. Will be interesting to see what they get in New Jersey--there's a nor'easter coming in....

stanger repped this.
  9. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed, the one above 134 only had maybe 2 people running the cash registers.

10. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On another note, I bought tickets for a group, 10 of us total, and were supposed to be in 139. I thought the whole cornerwas GA, like every other game I have ever attended, and we proceeded to sit in the RESERVED FOR LTA seats. Sad on multiple levels.

Even worse, with plenty of seats for two and three people to sit together all around us, some two women and a guy come up to my daughter and proceed to tell her to move, she is in their seats. Daughter said no, and the people left. With about 15 left in the first half, here they come again with a security guy. Our group moved back one ********ing row, and the three people sat in their assigned seats.

Last bit. They missed almost the entire first half trying to match their butts to the number on the paper then were visibly offended by the people behind them, us, and the gcgbag guys.

Can people not just go with the flow?

11. Dan Milton

Dan Milton Member

Nov 25, 1998
    That was my first thought. Why would the people counting the number of fans coming the gate stop counting when the game started. I wonder what the actual ticket sales were? The stands we're half empty when the game started but twenty minutes later the stands were pretty much full!

12. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe someone with more skill than I have can find pictures of last night's 14,500 and put it next to the Crew playoff game 14,500.

TKyle repped this.
  13. Jaybir

Jaybir Member+

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The concession lines last night were horrible. Ran into some fans who traveled from Portland and they were really in shock about that. I agree. Plus, this is NOT a new problem. I just don't get it. It can't possibly cost that much to staff concessions adequately - in fact, I would wager it helps profits as there are no doubt many lost revenues as a result of folks simply doing without rather than wait in the line, miss the game, etc...

stanger repped this.
  14. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I thought the concession stand workers were members of groups that volunteer?

Maybe they couldn't find volunteers in the offseason?

15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And maybe no one wants to work for this organization anymore.

It's not like we're months from our own home opener. We're 10 days out. That's not exactly the off season.

Or US Soccer screwed it up too. Wouldn't surprise me either way.

16. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #66 firefan2001, Mar 2, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    CrewV Man, SLSHOT01, TKyle and 2 others repped this.
  17. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Goff said over 20,000 were already sold last week for the match

18. runningoz

runningoz Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Did anyone else think it was eerily quiet during the game? At times it seemed like the interstate was making more noise than the people in the stadium

19. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was quiet. I think the cold had a lot to do with the noise generated.
    I hope this doesn’t come across wrong, but I wonder if demographics might be a factor—more moms and daughters than at an average Crew game? Not as vocal?
    Also, it wasn’t a riveting game—as indicated by the 1-0 final.

20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't know if it's the state or the private company that operates the lot, but the Crew parking is consistently terrible. From actually asking for exact change to having one person collect payment per lane to having nobody direct inbound (does anyone direct outbound?) I even saw one of their employees engage in a shouting match with a customer...and he was recording it.

It's equally pathetic that the Crew FO doesn't have any sort of entertainment postgame. If they had any sort of reason to stay, everyone wouldn't play the "beat the traffic" game. Waiting thirty minutes after the end of the game can make a world of difference.

21. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, is that supposed to be the game on March 1, 2018?

The sun is shining and people are wearing t-shirts. Is this a joke?

23. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is as much a joke as Houston having 16,082 people in their seats this weekend.