Shawn Parker at Greuther Fürth

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Elninho, Dec 18, 2010.

1. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    But if he doesn't make the German Euros, he can make the US Gold Cup.

Frankly, given a choice, I'd go to the Euros.

2. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What promising young striker prospects do Germany have around Shawn Parker's age? The only one I can think of is Samid Yesil.

3. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As we thought. Be good, but not tooooo good.

5. Beserkr29

Beserkr29 Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    My thoughts exactly. Realistically, the chances we secure Parker's services immediately are anything but good. Gold Cup is nice, but unless Juergen plans on putting Parker into the starting lineup immediately for World Cup qualifiers, I highly doubt Shawn will be swooning over playing for the Red, White and Blue. That being said, my point earlier in this thread is underscored by Shawn's closing comment. He's not ruling anything out. It comes down to competition. Klinsmann can recruit all he wants, but until Shawn sees for himself how good he has to be all the time, he'll want to suit up for the Germans. They do have a much better squad year in and year out. Just one misstep, though, and Parker is out. Maybe we can get Rossi on the horn and tell Shawn just how tough it is to be first team all the time for an elite side. In sum, choose then Yanks, Shawn, THEN break out. We will love you forever.

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uhhhh, Landon Donovan and Claudio Reyna should probably not be on that recruiting call.

Testudo and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  7. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the article Brian. His answer is as I expected, very diplomatic and well said. Can't fault him for choosing Germany if given the chance but man would it be nice to have a guy with his potential on our squad by WC 2014.

Obviously, playing for Germany is the more practical and better career decision for him.

8. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is the dilema, if you are too good you can play the waiting game, if you have a letdown in your progress, then hop on the USA bus destination Brazil.

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Reyna liked Germany ... even exchanged hugs after the WC 2002 1/4 loss with Rudi Völler, whom he had known from the Leverkusen days.

10. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Right, Reyna played with Rudi Völler. It was a team with lots of seasoned vets; Völler at 35, Bernd Schuster (36), Ulf Kirsten (31), Holger Fach (33), Hans-Peter Lehnhoff (32),...

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Until we don't.

Real Corona and BostonRed repped this.
  12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    He said all the right things in that interview, both about his club situation and national team choice.

Honestly, aside from playing for a better and more prestigious national team that happens to be where you grew up, the logistics of playing for the US are such that if you have a legitimate choice between playing for a European national team and playing for the US while you play in Europe, it makes far more sense to play for the European team.

I think patience will be key with this one. It will be a while before he realizes if he's part of the German senior team picture or not. Meanwhile, almost all the games for the US in 2013 are cap-tying ones and I can't see him hitching his wagon to the US next years

He may play for the US but if he does, I suspect it won't be for 3-4 years, at least.

13. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Parker again with an assist against Hannover. Beautiful shot, Zieler with a great save, the ball went to the post then and bounced back to Müller who tapped it in the back of the net. 39 min played.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  14. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Probably not before 2018, when he's just 25. He'll be 21 at the next WC, too early to give up playing for Germany; and there's no reason to switch teams between the WCs.

15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More referring to us loving our players forever.

16. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Mainz coach Tuchel is trying to find Parker's best position too, it seems. He tried him as a supporting striker along with target man Szalai in his first game which worked out brilliantly, in the last game he moved Parker a bit back to fit him into the common 4-2-3-1 system and according to Tuchel, Parker had problems to adapt and would be better (which I believe too) in a system with "Raute" (diamond).
    Should Tuchel stick to the 4-2-3-1, I'd expect him to test Parker sooner or later as a winger. That's where I believe is his best position in a such a system. It might explain (along with a few attitude problems here and there) his "late" debut for a rather small team like Mainz. I think Parker would have had his debut much earlier if his team had played a 4-4-2. But that's not exactly trendy since the World Cup. Parker in some ways will have to adapt to the 4-2-3-1 since basically all teams in Germany are playing this system right now, which means he'll either manages to develop so far that he can be used a forward in such a system, or he'll end up in midfield.

17. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    I don't think so. By the time he is 22, if he is not good enough for Germany. Other younger players will eventually jump above him this was the big discussion with chandler this year at 22 years old. Chandler realized this and finally committed to USA.

18. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Chandler never had the talent to make it for Germany, Parker might be a different animal.
    There's no reason to commit to the US in, say, 2015 or so. Why should he? He could still wait until 2018.

19. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Because I want him to play for USA. So he shouldent wait.

Gorky repped this.
  20. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Parker went 65 minutes in an 0-2 defeat at Gladbach.

21. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he ever cap-ties to the US, I nominate "The Life and Times of Shawn Parker" for the new thread title.

mike4066 repped this.
  22. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    More like "Sean Parker can't lose".

sXeWesley repped this.
  23. BGSUSoccerFan423

Jul 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Or Reasonable Doubt???

24. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parker is starting for Mainz in their DFB Pokal fixture today vs. Schalke (and Jermaine Jones).

25. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    His game grades are on the slide - from 1.5 to 3.0 to 4.0.