Shawn Barry at Korona Kielce

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Sandon Mibut, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Big thanks to fellow poster sho121789 for the heads-up on this on a thread on the college board...

Shawn Barry, a very fast right back who started for Virginia the past two years, has signed with LASK Linz in Austria.

Last year LASK finished 7th out of 10 teams in the Austrian Bundisliga.

Barry is a 90 and he was in our U17 and U18 pools. At Virginia, he played in 45 games over two seasons, starting 42 of them. He added two assists and was part of their national championship team that was led by a defense that only allowed 0.3 goals per game, one of the lowest totals in NCAA history.

Here's his UVa bio.

http://www.virginiasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17800&ATCLID=1552686

Virginia announced earlier this month that Barry didn't keep his grades up and had to leave school for the upcoming calendar year. Apparently he's opted to turn pro rather than sit-out the year. (Personally, I thought he showed enough in the Final Four that MLS should have signed him to a GenAd deal. I wonder if he had negotiations with them before going to Austria.)

It looks like he's with their "junior" team. He's No. 14.

http://lask.at/content/lask/team/lask_juniors

He is from South Florida and is a product of the Schulz Academy, which is run by an Austrian and has sent a couple others to Austria. So, those dots should be fairly easy to connect.

And, according to this link another Schulz player, William Suedois, has signed with them, too, though he's apparently only 16.

http://www.schulzsocceracademy.com/

2. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Also happens to be the same guy who discovered Altidore:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/soccer/world-cup-2010/writers/ben_reiter/05/15/altidore/1.html

BTW - Toni Polster sure is showing his age these days...

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Really liked Barry with the Cavaliers last season. He definitely looked like a pro prospect to me -- one of several on that team.

4. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Not a bad choice IMO. Its good that he found a club. Austria could become the new Sweden at least for the Schultz kids.

Barry is also eligible for Puerto Rico FYI.

5. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Don't you want to give him his own thread, Sandon?

I mean, seeing how even 10 year olds are getting them these days...

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Is he eligible for any other national teams?

As for Austria, I'll feel more impressed about the Schulz kids going there when one of them actually starts getting first division, first-team soccer.

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I figured someone else would take care of that. And, I see I was right.;)

8. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    I feel weird for looking lol but his myspace says he is originally from Puerto Rico but he does say he wants to make the USA team so it doesn't really matter.

Here is an article from the Shulz academy website. Josef Schulz says he thinks Shawn could make the first team rather soon but Will is only 16 so he has more time to develop.

http://www.schulzsocceracademy.com/home/454640.html

9. Napoli 10

Napoli 10 New Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barry was invited to residency at Bradenton and after initially accepting he declined. I think there were some personal issues which led to him not going into residency.

10. niterida09

niterida09 Member

Dec 20, 2005
    i was on his team in high school. its because if he went to residency school would basically take aback seat. parents are smart and didnt want that so they made him stay in school. residency isnt so great anymore for going pro. most of the players end up nowhere and just get used for national games

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Good thing he didn't let school take a back seat at Virginia.

1 person likes this.
  12. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    He is listed on the LASK Juniors roster and after looking through some match reports he's played in about 9 games. The next game starts in January
    http://lask.at/content/lask/teams/lask_juniors

LASK Juniors play in the 3rd division.

13. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was playing regularly until he disappeared from match reports about a month ago. I suspect that he's been injured.

14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barry made his debut for LASK this weekend. Maybe he'll get more playing time next season in the second division -- LASK was relegated by a mile.

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    So, he basically got promoted!

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Came in on the 83rd today vs. Rapid Wien.

17. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
  18. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barry made the bench for Linz's opener on Tuesday and came off the bench in today's game.

19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Well, that's progress.

I continue to think this kid has a bright pro future. He has serious wheels - not as fast as Marvell Wynne but damn close and he reads the game better than Wynne did coming out of college and he's better on the ball.

Give him some seasoning, which he appears to be getting in Austria, and I think he'll blossom.

20. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barry made his first league start of the year on Friday in a 2-1 win over Lustenau. He has also made 4 substitute appearances and started the only cup game they've played so far. LASK are in second place and are 3 points off first, and the only promotion spot, 10 games into the season.

21. ClassActLondon26

ClassActLondon26 New Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I wonder if Austria/Switzerland would be a good market for upcoming American Talents. It seems a bit like unchartered territory compared to the Scandinavian market, maybe because of work permit issues? Anyone have any idea what the rules are with americans and permits in swiss/austrian leagues?

I've heard that there is an American Player from Chicago currently on trial with a Swiss Club and is waiting for a permit to sign a contract...wonder if we'll see more

22. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Austria does have non EU limits depending on the division. I want to say 5 maybe for the top division, 3-4 or second division, and 3 for 3rd division.

Austria and Switzerland are overlooked leagues but I don't think it would be a bad place to start out for a young player.

23. ClassActLondon26

ClassActLondon26 New Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I suppose it has to be rather hard in that region given the strength of the economies of switzerland and such. I heard from a past colleague that the player in Switzerland is Timmy Walsh, used to play for University of Tampa.

24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  25. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Barry has 11 appearance for Linz this season, 4 starts, in the Austrian second division. He's a right-back - but no call up to the Olympic training camp. Did he deserve to be there over Greg Garza? Potentially.