Shaquell "Shaq" Moore at Tenerife

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Martino2Buddle

Crystal Palace
    United States
    Dec 12, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was impressed with Shaq's attacking ability. Playing with USMNT last few games is first time I've seen him play since U20's as I don't follow La Liga. One cross led to our goal yesterday and another should have been an assist if Wood would have stayed onside. Just needs consistent first team minutes to get his defense in order.

Namdynamo, edcrocker, USA-Zebuel and 3 others repped this.
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He's a wingback, the position he played against France, not a fullback.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    what exactly is the difference?

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The wingback has fewer defensive responsibilities, so he is usually used with a 3-man CB line. A wingback is like a hybrid winger-fullback, and he can act as a winger sending in crosses and cutting in centrally to support the attack.

5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A wingback also has to cover the entire flank, instead of splitting duties with a winger.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well, depends on the type of formation and strategy used. In Spanish there are three different words for what in English is just "wingback":

- Carrilero, usually sits in midfield and covers the entire flank, the type you're mentioning. They also cut centrally to help the DM like an "interno." You see them in 3-5-2 or in the 4-3-1-2 as the guys on the side of the DM --they're the guys who cover the most area of all three;

- Ala trasera, a wingback that plays in the usual spot given to a regular fullback (lateral), but more likely to move forward and interplay with a wide forward. You see them in 4-3-3 formation with wide forwards ("punteros") or in a 4-2-3-1 where they also must cover the entire side;

- Alero, a wingback in a typical 5-3-2 and similar formations, he comes forward more than a fullback and his defensive duties are limited. He must be able to cross like a winger, and to cut centrally in attack --he's basically a winger ("extremo") who tracks back on the side. He covers the least amount of terrain of all three, and that is the type of wingback most suited to Moore's skills in my view.

7. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
  8. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    That's what I meant, lol.

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    but whose Pepsi with?

11. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    edcrocker repped this.
  12. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not good for our man. Wonder if he gets loaned out now?

13. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really not good. Obviously Levante do not think that Shaq is the answer right now.

14. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    All evidence suggests that's true, so that's fine.

I hope this leads to a loan, because he's not gonna develop in any meaningful way playing 4th division matches with the reserves.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Spain, like Italy and Portugal, has usually been a lousy place to develop USA talent.

Don't see it changing any time soon, unfortunately.

16. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I would assume that he slides into Pedro Lopez' position as back up. Either that or he is loaned to a 2nd Division side.

If he stays behind Coke, it is likely he sees a lot of minutes between Cup and League fixtures. Especially since he can play RM and Wingback as well. I guess it will depend on how he performs in pre-season. Last year he was a real standout.

17. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't get the pessimism; Shaq definitely wasn't going in to preseason as the starter, Coke is already there, not wanted in Gelsenkirchen and a known quantity, of course Levante will bring him on.

He's also 31, so not likely to be considered a long-term fix and may need to be rested regularly. Bad news for Shaq would have been UDL spending a lot of money (whatever that is for them) on a player in his prime playing years.

18. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They got promoted last year to the 3rd division, but yeah, point still stands.

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Being no.2 RB at a mid-tier club in La Liga ain't too shabby. He'll get his opportunities. Even Yedlin had to wait a while.

20. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So, they bought a 31 yo. I think they wanted a role model or incentive for our guy who is really close to taking over. Maybe new guy starts a few and Shaq eases his way in through practice or injury and makes it his. It does happen that way. Ya, that's what's gonna happen.

21. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen

Let's be real Coke is 31 and has 300+ La Liga and Segunda appearances... he is coming to Levante to be the starter... at least for a season or two... Levante probably saw an opportunity to improve their squad with fairly little consideration for Cokes role in being a model for Shaq.

Shaq is trying to break into the highest level of the game... he is going to have to beat out veterans and earn it.... the odds are against him but that's life.

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    The team believes in him. So he has that going for him. He'll prove himself even if it's a season of being a super-sub.

23. HS Teacher

HS Teacher Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Spain
    Story out of Tarragona has him as a target for Reus in the Segunda. The story also mentions that Albacete is a possible landing spot.

24. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marco Reus has his own team in Spain??

25. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Segunda would be great.

Nice reference. I’ve rolled with Marco.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.