Shall we kill the rep system?

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Huss, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
  2. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

and here cometh the Weapon.

3. Neubill

Neubill Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jan 26, 2005
    Southern Kelehfornya
    I'd rather read Mel B's posts and judge for myself whether or not he adds to the quality of this board. Instead, the rep system encourages me to look and see what others think of him. Could the system be changed to make others happy? I doubt it.

Rep is fine when it's one vote for one poster. Instead, one mod with a bunch of green tiles neg reps me on a subject while five others with fewer greens agree with me on the same subject and I end up with neg rep.

BigSoccer imitates life sometimes: Life just aint fair. Let's just deal with it, good and bad.

4. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Eh. I'm not on trial here for abusing some little boys like MJ is. I am just having a bit crack on. pffffft. Sorry like. I think a banning is coming my way. pfffffft. Thats fine. Your lose because i ********ing rock in my house.

5. Neubill

Neubill Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jan 26, 2005
    Southern Kelehfornya
    Well, if you think you've got a ban coming your way, then you won't mind throwing some of those green tiles of yours in my direction, eh? ;)

6. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Well i would normally but not this time sunshine. pffffffft.

7. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I think this thread is long past its sell-by date.

Huss, can you post a poll in an announcements thread? Something that more users can access? A sample of people just from S&A is pretty small.

8. Neubill

Neubill Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jan 26, 2005
    Southern Kelehfornya
    You're a beam of light, Mel. A real beam of light.
    No wonder you have so much rep.

When the ban you mentioned comes, don't forget the little people on your way out.

9. biosoccer

biosoccer New Member

What is the rep system really measuring?
    When I see someone with a bunch of green cards the first thing I think is "what a loser", someone with so much rep MUST spent all day long on BS and not neccessarily contributing to soccer. You see people on the Free for All board who hardly ever post outside of it.
    I have much more respect with someone with a few green cards that posts on the real soccer board than someone with a bunch.

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Actually, I like the system, because it gives me a chance to tell somebody that I appreciate their post without having to PM them. And it's nice to hear from people who appreciate my posts, as well.

But sometimes it can backfire. One time I got positive rep from ilovecolombia, and I thought, ********!, from now on I better think before I post.

11. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    I admit, it has become tedious, but consider the alternative. If we didn't have reputation, you would just see things like "good post," and "good point," flooding the boards and making it difficult to get to meaningful posts in threads.

12. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    I don't think the rep system has done much to address that problem really. Instead of the rep system, bring back the ignore feature for non-paying members.

13. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I never ever go in the free for all bit. Stay on the UK bits, and sometimes wind those French bastards up in the French bits. So all my rep is nicked sunshine. All 2728 pos rep points of it. pffffffft.

Ps. Come on lads.