SG Gathering: 3/19/08 Champions Cup

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by mgrayscale, Mar 12, 2008.

1. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wanted to send feelers out to the group and see if anyone would be interested in going to Mother Egan's on Wednesday, March 19th at 7:30 p.m. CDT to watch the second leg of the Champions Cup Tie between Houston Dynamo and CSD Municipal? I've sent an email to the pub asking them if they're going to show it (as it's on Fox Soccer Channel).

I will plan on being there (I'm even going to play hookie from a meeting), so hopefully we'll see some of you there. It'll be good to put some faces to names.

2. duality72

duality72 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm definitely up for it.

3. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be there!

4. Rooneys Hairline

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be at Robertson. :eek:

Mother Egan's is where we watched the away leg last year. Steer clear of Fado's, they changed the channel on us to the first round of the NCAA tournament last year, even against our objections. :mad:

5. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I prefer Mother Egan's as well, as it's more friendly to purist soccer watchers. I'm really excited to see folks coming. Bring more so the word gets out. The game ought to be really good since it was a draw last night in Guatemala.

6. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fado's? FADO'S changed the channel?

Man. I'd always steered clear of the place because it seemed like a Eurosnob hangout. And I'm a cheapskate and still haven't manged to get interested enough in European teams/clubs to want to shell out ... what is it now? $30?

I'm sorry, but the NCAA's are on in *every* *single* *flipping* *bar*.

I'm starting to appreciate Mother Egan's more and more. Not exactly the best viewing arrangements... but they're at least supportive. Which is far more than other places.

7. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only time I've gone to Fado's is to watch Celtic live on Setanta. Other than that, it's Mother Egan's. Mick (the publican) has always struck me as someone who supports the beautiful game. Plus, deep fried Mars bar. Need I say more?

8. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just posted a bit on my blog about this, too (thanks for the reminder mgrayscale :)). I won't be able to stay for the whole game (sorry, can't stay out late on weeknight, not when it's just the Dynamo ;)), but I definitely plan to come by for a while.

I may have to finally try one of those fried candy bars. Would one of those with a pint of Harp's be considered a balanced meal, do you think? They do come with ice cream...

9. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a balanced meal requires some green in it.

That's why I use a lime in my beer.

10. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't make it, but have fun. Good luck, Houston fans.

11. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm planning on being there.

12. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great gathering tonight, gang. Thanks to all who showed up, and I think we're all in agreement on two points...

1. The result of the match was to our satisfaction.
    2. We are still undecided on the Supporters Group name...and not particularly bothererd by it.
    Rumor is that there is a scrimmage on April 19th with St. Edward's, so we'll keep an eye out for that and update when we have something. There's also rumor of a follow on scrimmage before the May 3rd away El Paso match, but not sure who it will be with. If you hear of anything, share it with the group.

Keep an eye out on this space for the next gathering of the group. Additionally, if you haven't seen it, make sure you go to www.aztexan.net for the unofficial website. Between this blog, www.aztexan.net and www.austinaztex.com, you'll never need another website again (okay, with the exception of www.skysports.com, www.bbc.co.uk/sports, and your favorite club team website other than the Aztex)!!