[SF] Uruguay VS. Brasil (r)

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by Ombak, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Aguilas Del America

Oct 28, 2002
    Nido de Coapa
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No you moron you are just sounding like a straight ardido. Your team had it all to finish off Brazil but choked. Get over it. There is no need to insults.

2. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    that's why he's out of villar.
    forlan still got game in him, but he just doesn't play at the top of his form enough.

3. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Forlan did well and was man of the match.

4. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    People need to chill and cut it out with the insults.

5. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    I thought he was doing well.

6. atlanta

atlanta New Member

Mar 1, 2007
    atlanta
    I've seen a lot of inconsistent players in sports, but never have I seen a player that is as frustrating as forlan. Most hot-cold players are inconsistent on a game to game basis. But this dude is inconsistent on a pass-to-pass basis. One minute he is making a riquleme-esque pass or deadly finishing his chances like a world-class striker, and the very next minute he makes a asinine pass or shoots the ball 10 yards over the post standing 2 feet away from the goal that makes you believe he is a 3rd division player on timbuktu football league.

That penalty was atrocious.

7. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    some the touches forlan had in this match, horrid...

good shot to equalize, and good assist for the 2nd equalizer.
    part of it was the switch, pushing forlan to SS and taking out recoba, put a target person on so they were using the left route a lot more in 2nd half, and was effective.

8. hectorcrib

hectorcrib Member

Mar 27, 2007
    In a 6.0
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Man what a killer penalty kick, by DIEGO, that looked nice and fast and smooth, no goalie can stop those types of penalty kicks, and BRAZIL WON HAHA

9. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Template for my site, thats why it looks as it does
    [​IMG]vs[​IMG]
    Name:
    :BRA: Brazil---Uruguay :URY:​
    Region:
    CONMEBOL---CONMEBOL​
    Manager:
    Dunga---Oscar Tabarez​
    World Rank:
    3rd---30th​
    World Cups:
    18---10​
    Copa Américas:
    31---39​
    Venue:
    José Pachencho Romero​
    Competition:
    Copa América​
    Most Capped Player (Ever):
    Cafu (142)---Leonel Sánchez (84)​
    Top Scorer (Ever):
    Pelé (77)---Marcelo Salas (35)​
    Squads:
    Starting 11:
    12 Doni---Fabián Carini 1
    6 Gilberto---Diego Alfredo Lugano 2
    3 Alex---Diego Pérez 15
    2 Maicon---Darío Rodríguez 6
    4 Juan---Diego Scotti 19
    8 Gilberto Silva---Jorge Ciro Fucile 4
    19 Julio César Baptista---Pablo Gabriel García 5
    5 Mineiro---Victor Maximiliano Pereira 16
    17 Josué---Cristian Gabriel Rodríguez 7
    11 Robinho---Diego Martín Forlán 21
    9 Vagner Love---Alvaro Recoba 10
    Subs:
    1 Helton---Juan Guillermo Castillo 12
    13 Daniel Alves---Carlos Diogo 14
    15 Naldo---Diego Godín 3
    14 Alex Silva---Carlos Adrian Valdez 17
    16 Kléber---Néstor Fabián Canobbio 18
    20 Anderson---Wálter Alejandro Gargano 8
    7 Elano---Ignacio María González 20
    18 Fernando---Sebastián Abreu 13
    10 Diego---Fabián Estoyanoff 11
    21 Afonso---Vicente Sánchez 22
    22 Fred---Gonzalo Sebastián Vargas 9
    :BRA: Juan: BigUpload
    :URY: Scotti: BigUpload
    :BRA: Gilberto Silva: BigUpload
    :URY: González: BigUpload
    :BRA: Afonso: BigUpload
    :URY: Rodríguez: BigUpload
    :BRA: Diego: BigUpload
    :URY: Abreu: BigUpload
    :BRA: Fernando: BigUpload
    :URY: García: BigUpload
    :BRA: Gilberto: BigUpload
    :URY: Lugano Penalty + Celebrations: BigUpload

Sorry about all of the different hosts, I couldn't get one that worked consistently

10. Murkurial

Murkurial New Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Chicago, Illinois
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if this has been discussed before but given Ronaldo's return to form for AC Milan does anyone think that he may have given Brazil a little extra boost during the Copa America. I know that Dunga's made quite a few changes and the chemistry isn't entirely there (especially with Ronaldinho and Kaka sitting out) but I don't think that playing Ronaldo would've made things any worse.

11. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF

brazil's problem is in defense. this game with 4 holding mids their defense still looked shaky. so none of the people you mentioned would of fundamentally changed their overall quality.

dunga doesn't want to use the older defenders for obvious reasons.

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's not about winning the competition. It's more about experimenting with some different players. We all know what Ronaldo brings to the table up top. Dunga wanted to try different forwards.

I expect Ronaldo to be back for WCQ given the quality of these forwards.

13. Murkurial

Murkurial New Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Chicago, Illinois
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't say that they're problem was their defense entirely. I noticed quite a few times when they would just send balls down to the other end of the field and seemingly hope that someone would come down with it. They looked at times like they were having a little trouble holding on to the ball in the midfield.

And the addition of Ronaldinho and Kaka would definitely have helped where it concerned creativity and just by virtue of the fact that the Uraguayan defenders and defensive mids would certainly have had much more to handle with those two on the field.

I was mainly talking about the strikeforce (didn't really think the question of whether or not Ronaldinho and Kaka would've helped needed to be asked) and celito kind of got what I was saying. I just wondered if anyone else thought the strikeforce was sorely lacking and given that Ronaldo was one of the guys that Dunga decided to leave behind after the WC (much like McClaren w/ Becks) if he wouldn't have been worth a look from Dunga again.

14. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    that shot of his is UNSTOPPABLE. he did the exact same kick against argentina in the penalties in copa america 04. like it was literally the same shot. same strength, same side.

15. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    i think our midfield is reasonable. josue was very good today. he's a scrappy, holding midfield. we just don't have consistent finishers up front. even though robinho has 6 goals, he tends to disappear for large stretches of time. and vagner love really hasnt done too much at all. he's made some nice assists, but i think vagner to me is summed up in one play -- the baptista tap in on the FK today -- you will notice in the replay a diving vagner love, who seems to be attempting to head it in, and just totally misses and lands flat on his stomach.

we just don't really have any forwards at the moment. ronaldo still needs to prepare. i think we need him more for the qualifiers. i would prefer to see him train and lose weight so he can have a good season for milan too. he's looking pretty thing. but yeah, we are basically using our 5th and 6th strikers here. fred, ronaldo, and adriano are all out of form or injured. even fred was never too consistent for us. we just havent produced a true striker since adriano, and that was 3 years ago. i honestly don't even see one waiting in the wings. we dont really have anyone at the U20 level either. it's pretty worrisome if you ask me. possibly pato, but it's still to early to tell. im not too confident about jo either.

16. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    there was also the vagner non-call some minutes before uruguay's first goal. vagner was getting tugged on the whole play and he ultimately fell down. that wouldve been a goal had he not been dragged down.

17. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    well, first of all brazil played 4 (or 3 depend on how you count) holding midfielders today. so 2 holding midfielders were on offensives. I think that's an indication of dunga taking extra defensive percussions.

kaka is a striker, so him presenting will just swap a striker, the defensive midfield setup wouldn't be affected.

ronaldinho used as a CAM and replace one of the holding midfielders would of definitely changed the dynamics of the game to certain extend. but diego came on and wasn't able to gain more possession for brazil could become a counter argument.

bottom line, these european guys are tired. that's an indisputable fact. they planned their peaks for club season...

18. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    OK so gilberto silva is really suspended. i thought this at first, but then i checked the official conmebol report and it says he didnt receive a yellow card in the chile game. but i checked globo and it says otherwise. ugh. we are screwed now. he is irreplaceable.

19. El_tri321mex

El_tri321mex Member

Oct 20, 2006
    berkeley
    God damn hella of it game . Can't believe Uruguay let this slip. Uruguay had Brazil oh well penalties is nothing but luck sometimes Uurguay has this..so close.

20. apollo_1444

apollo_1444 Red Card

Apr 11, 2007
    mexico
    esos brasileros que robo que fue!!! rateros se adelanto 2 metros

21. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    he's definitely out of final

22. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No hay ninguna duda que Ruiz se comio el tiro penal. Que falta de honestidad y fair play por parte del arbitro. Uruguay tenia todo la razon a reclamar al arbitro sobre esa jugada. Tambien no me gusto que Ruiz y sus asistentes no trataron de intervenir en la bronca al final del los tiros penales.

23. Failed States

Failed States New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    Marcelo Salas as Uruguays all time top scorer? Correct me if I'm wrong but that guy's Chilean.

24. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Amazing what a country with 1/50th the population of Brazil can do to them. I am pretty sure Uruguay had more shots, shots on goal, corners and maybe even more posession. What is that, 6 straight ties in competitive games between the two? If only Uruguay would play everybody else the same way they play Brazil.

If Argentina makes the final, I can see a repeat of the last Copa with Argentina playing better but Brazil "winning" on penalities. It would be strange situation with the champ having 1 loss and 2 ties and the subchamp having all wins, but for 1 tie.

25. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's amazing what a lot of countries can do to Brazil.

We're glad we are such good motivators of otherwise long-forgotten small teams that do little or nothing on the big stage. It's part of being the best I guess. Sure it gets frustrating for us fans, and even the players - I wish we could be easily motivated to play any team that lifts it's game to play us.

But in the end all the matters is that we've stayed on top throughout the years and while we may not always raise our game, we usually do it when it counts. And we often win whether we do or not.