SF Chron Coverage

Discussion in 'FC Gold Pride' started by FCGoldPrideGM, Sep 22, 2010.

1. FCGoldPrideGM

FCGoldPrideGM New Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    They cover us sporadically (even our game time has been wrong for weeks) & then decide the week of the Championship to write this? Highlights two teams folding but never mentions atlanta or Philly or the new Atlanta stadium. I hope those that believe in soccer and want women's sports to survive, write to the paper and ask for more positive coverage - especially when the local team is in the Championship.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/09/22/SP8E1FFIMT.DTL

2. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    I could have gone on and on but I kept it sweet and short. Hopefully he gets the point

While I love seeing an article on WPS I think we need to try and keep it more positive. Remember Philly and Atlanta are brand new so while two were lost, two were also gained. I'd like to see more coverage of the team, especially the players. We all know about Marta but what about the other standouts like Sinclair, O'Hara, Riley, and Boxx. Thank you for the article and i'd love to see more in the future with a more positive outlook.

3. sjsocrfan

sjsocrfan New Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry FreeKicks. I was not nearly as nice. We are Chron subscribers and their coverage has Sucked, with a capital "S":

Come on Chronicle. The Bay Area has the number one team in Women’s Professional Soccer, with a record 13 game unbeaten streak, and the only article you can come up with is gloom and doom. Ever think that your lack of coverage contributes to attendance problems? WPS games are exciting. The soccer is beautiful. The players are fierce on the field and gracious afterward, sticking around after the game to meet their fans and not leaving until every last autograph is signed. When they make the news, it is for their soccer achievements and charitable activities, not their shameful off-field exploits, like so many other pro athletes. These are exactly the types of excellent role models we should be putting forth for our kids, and I am happy to have them around for my 8 year-old daughter. Can you please show them some respect and give them the coverage they deserve?

4. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tonya Antonucci was awesome on ComCast Chron tonight in Bay area. She plugged the league, pushed the Final at Cal State EB in Hayward, and Brandi's tribute game on Oct 2 at SCU. Highlights were great as well. Nice coverage for WPS. Hopefully someone recorded it and can put it out on the internet on YouTube or WPS sites...All goodness though. FCGoldPrideGM, that was pretty good coverage after the disaster earlier today. Thanks for the alert it was there.

5. Akers4ever

Akers4ever New Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    The coverage was crappy. The best coverage of soccer the Chron can manage is their list of bars to watch the World Cup at. It's a damn shame. The polarizing comments are typical for a discussion on women's soccer. But for the Chron to come down on the side of defeat is terribly dissappointing.

6. FCGoldPrideGM

FCGoldPrideGM New Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
  7. J Santos

J Santos Member

Oct 3, 2007
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: SF Chron Coverage & Add Killion

What do you expect from someone or a site that doesn't even fact check the article.

From the article:

"It has U.S. national team members like Shannon Boxx -- driven to hone their skills between national team outings. There are older players like Tiffeny Milbrett, who held on for six years after the WUSA collapsed until another league was established.
    And the Gold Pride includes dynamic young players just out of college -- like last year's Hermann Trophy winner (for the most outstanding collegiate athlete), Kelly O'Hara, and this year's WPS Rookie of the Year, Ali Riley -- who will likely be future fixtures on the national team."

Since when will Ali Riley play for the US National Team? Do you think the New Zealand National Team knows about this?

Also, it along with other articles about the potential demise of the WPS are quick to play up two teams have folded but rarely do they mention the addition of Atlanta this year. Incomplete reporting at best and biased reporting at worst.

8. FCGoldPrideGM

FCGoldPrideGM New Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride

My thoughts exactly. So easy to write about failure. Sad, really.

9. sjsocrfan

sjsocrfan New Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It is as if they are hoping for failure so they can have something juicy to write about, instead of writing about all of the positive aspects of the first two years of the WPS to provide a much more balanced and accurate picture of the state of affairs. Sad and disgusting.

10. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's been corrected, at least.

11. SolAlive

SolAlive New Member

May 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I liked the article.. I think the owners did a bad think in eliminating a commis.
    I think they were just mad because the players formed a Union. But can we reallly trust their judgement. Please..

SI did suck on not looking at the Positive. But I hope they will do a follow up .. Year of the Women .. report