SF #1 USA vs Argentina June 21st [R]

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by sidspaceman, Jun 19, 2016.

1. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    745068770859745280 is not a valid tweet id

HomietheClown repped this.
  2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  3. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  4. MadridRojoRowdy

Jun 14, 2016
    NC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Not that worried about missing Bedoya since Zusi can fulfill his spot with ease. Jones and Wood are critical to the team and we simply don't have the depth to be committing petty fouls like Jones did last match. Perhaps we could see Pulisic earn his first start with the team today( although I doubt it), this could also be the big break that Nagbe has been waiting for as well.

5. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I think if the US tries to 'bring the game' to Argentina it would be suicide. US just doesn't have that technical or tactical ability to play toe to toe vs Argentina. Argentina is very accurate with their passes and the best way to play them is to stop/slow down momentum in the MF. Using smart fouls, physicality, holding the ball longer when possible, creating set plays and 'killing time' to slow down their game will start to frustrate this Arg team. Boring you say? Yes, more than likely but it's a matter of having skilled patience to counter only if the right situation presents itself. I wouldn't play to pressure them up top until the second part of that 2nd half. They are very good at getting out of high pressure situations and all of a sudden you've left too much space for them to counter.

This is not a perfect team (Arg) folks. There has been plenty of doubt around Tata and on paper Arg should be killing teams but their play and results in qualifiers show otherwise. In comparison to the US, Argentina has also had an easy road to this point with their toughest match being one of the great games of this tournament beating Chile 2-1 ...in that 1st game that could've gone to either. Mind you Messi did not play, but keep in mind that Argentina can actually show to be a more dynamic team without the star player. Besides Chile they had to play against the two weakest Conmebol nations and an aging Panama team that until Messi came in, was still creating some headaches for Arg. This doesn't change the fact that Arg is an incredibly stacked team with the best player in the world but it should motivate the US players to know that this is a team that's vulnerable and at times seems to lack that leader on the pitch.

In fact, I think if the US can get to the 65th or so they have a good shot . That's when you can start to bring a bit of their run and execute set plays (Argentina's weakness) and now you can pressure on top---use that endurance and athleticism they're known for to bring up the intensity during those final minutes. The inverse of that scenario (early Arg goal), would likely be too much for the US to push thru. But it will mean strong concentration and focus from key holding MFs like Bradley. If MB keeps on giving balls away like it's candy than turn the lights off and go home.

They've already secured a top 4 finish, managed to provide a great environment for futbol fans, so as mentioned before, this is all gravy at this point.

Dominican Lou repped this.
  6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #81 NorthBank, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    That's hilarious that somebody has a "confirmed" line-up 24hrs ahead. We shall see. But in any case ARG is going to be pretty well stacked.

7. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    El Piojo when he was Mexicos manager would tweet the lineup 2 days before hand. Not everybody is like the USMNT who like to keep it a secret until the last minute.

8. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Pekerman for Colombia always confirmed it in last minute

9. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm expecting to still have some hope for the US at halftime. I do not expect to still have hope by the 60th minute, though. Just enough hope that it is painful to watch and I pace around and drink a lot and maybe yell at the tv.

10. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, it's called host-team advantage... and whoever knocks out the hosts inherits that advantage...

11. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone told me they'll have one huge central AC system on + over 72,000 fans in the stadium... 72 thousand fans - that's one hell of a cooling system! :D

12. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    The roof closes, so no need to rely upon any special "cooling technologies", but yeah, it's a big system. Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis is a similar set up.

13. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  14. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Exactly.

Mexico had a nightmare game against Chile. Before that they had a long undefeated streak, indicating they were doing well, or at the very least not struggling.

They were also without arguably their 3 most talented players. Add those two factors in and they're clearly the top dog in Concacaf.

sidspaceman repped this.
  15. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Agree with this part.

The US doesn't even bring the game to Mexico and they're going to bring it to arguably the best team in the world? LOL

Their best chance is to bunker down, fight like crazy and win on an illegal goal, like Peru vs Brazil. Very unlikely, though. In fact, I'd be surprised if Argentina only win by 1 goal.

sidspaceman repped this.
  16. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    great... I used to be a big fan, but then I turned into an air conditioner....

Chicago76 repped this.
  17. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  18. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  19. Outburstz

Outburstz Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no Nagbe :(

20. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Well That sucks.. you can't bring anything! I need my illegal substances!

sidspaceman repped this.
  21. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Lol.. what if USA pulls the upset? I don't see it happening.. but that would be some real mind blowing stuff, if it does..

Emigomez repped this.
  22. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Let's go USA!

Emigomez repped this.
  23. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    jermaine Jones was being interviewed by Univision, lol

24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was bang on. So I guess it was an officially released lineup... early.

25. Outburstz

Outburstz Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People would try to find a way to discredit the win