SF #1 USA vs Argentina June 21st [R]

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by sidspaceman, Jun 19, 2016.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It all depends on what Pulisic and old man geriatric Nagbe can do. I am really looking forward to seeing at least one of them start.

2. Ezto

Ezto Member

Jun 27, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    So how can this us team beat argentina?

pepinointer repped this.
  3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    How?
    Probably being more efficient with chances than Venezuela was for starters. Playing very organized and playing very cohesive as a defensive unit. Dempsey having the game of his life.

Or still advancing by not beating them and playing for PKs.

4. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Guinho and kromekote repped this.
  5. Pike

Pike Member

Arsenal | Hertha Berlin | Brest 29
    United States
    Jun 3, 2000
    New Orleans Born | Shanghai
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simple: Do not play defensive. You will most assuredly lose. Be aggressive and bring the game to Argentina. The U.S. has beaten teams that on paper were far better than the US. They didn't do it by playing defensive, but by being precocious as heck and playing aggressive.

When a team plays defensive and lose, they lose more than a game, they lose self- respect. It is better to lose big playing for a win then lose small playing not to lose.

Guinho repped this.
  6. Outburstz

Outburstz Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And get caught on a counter attack with less numbers with Messi leading the charge uhhhhhhhhhhhh

7. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Dos anyone know if this game is played in the intense heat of Houston or if the stadium haves air conditioning?

8. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    the stadium has AC.

9. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

10. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Win or don't bother to come back.

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought you were kidding. But then I googled it and it seems true. They can close the roof and turn the A/C on? Are they likely to do that? It's not supposed to be too hot in Houston tomorrow is it?

12. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The roof will be closed and the AC will be on trust me.

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, if the A/C works well in there, i.e. cool temps and low humidity, then that could be a little advantage that USA/ARG have over COL/CHI, who play outside in Chicago, where maybe it won't exactly be sweltering, but there seems a good chance of rain. Plus they'll have 1 less day of rest before final.

14. Pike

Pike Member

United States
    Jun 3, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last time I checked, death is death regardless how it happens. Play with fear; certain death and a lack of respect. Play without fear possible death but with your respect in tact if not grown. It's the American way! Upsets are common in the US because of this!

15. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    745053789170761728 is not a valid tweet id

16. Outburstz

Outburstz Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People won't respect the USA unless they win period. If They play like you say and lose 3-0 all you will see is lol USA sucks Messi owned you blah blah blah. If they bunker and lose 1-0 OMG bunker football USA sucks got lucky to get there blah blah blah.

17. Pike

Pike Member

United States
    Jun 3, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems you have created a conundrum. Regardless the tactics used, the US will suck. It hardly matters. When the US lose any match, the US sucks. When the US beat any team they are not supposed to beat, they are simply lucky. Then again, my suggestion have absolutely nothing to do with perception. It is about the American psyche. If we play not to lose, we will most likely lose. If we play to win, we may also lose, but we would had done it playing to our own strength and not in fear of theirs.

Personally, trash talkers are all morons. They hardly say anything worth responding to. If they wish to mock because they get some sort of joy out of it, then sure. I do not and I will never "feast" on someone's misfortune.

Guinho repped this.
  18. MadridRojoRowdy

Jun 14, 2016
    NC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    As much as I want the US today to win it I believe Argentina will cruise to the final round. Oh well, as long as we don't embarrass ourselves as Mexico did I consider reaching the semifinals an achievement.

19. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I hate it when CONCACAF sides do well in the Copa America, but there is one thing I have for the USA and its fans that I don't have for Mexico, and that is respect.

glennaldo_sf and Chinombre repped this.
  20. MadridRojoRowdy

Jun 14, 2016
    NC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It just goes to show how far we have come in the last 25 years. This morning when I was driving to work the ESPN commentators from Firma ESPN were downplaying the Mexico loss on Sunday by stating that they were still the Powerhouse of the CONCACAF regardless of results. I really want to call them and debate that, anybody knows their phone number?

Christina99 repped this.
  21. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Technically, they are still the giants of CONCACAF, and to be fair for one moment they have a better squad than the USA do. However after the result the other day, I don't see where Mexico are a "better team"

Emigomez and pepinointer repped this.
  22. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nice, i like it

23. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    THEY CAN'T! ... jk, they just have to believe in themselves.. and as they say, with a lil ''Nads Luck'' anything is possible! :thumbsup:

24. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well Mexico is the team that will be playing in Russia next year and they got their by beating the USMNT.

Boloni86 and pepinointer repped this.
  25. JohnnyD313

JohnnyD313 New Member

Jun 21, 2016
    The minimum goal for USA was their presence in the semi-finals, and since fate brought them against the biggest favorites, Argentina, their work is cut out for them. To make matters worse, 3 players are unavailable for team USA due to suspension. Argentina are coming into this match in the back of a 4-1 easy win against Venezuela, and they are hoping they can win this tournament for the first time after 23 years and 3 failed finals.

The initial goal for USA is reached, their presence in the semi-finals was a must, considering that they are the hosts of this year’s Copa America Centenario. In the quarter final against Ecuador, it didn’t take long for team USA to open the score, as they entered the match with very much enthusiasm and confidence. Clint Dempsey struck a nice header in the 22nd minute to open the score and after a few dangerous chances created by Ecuador, team US managed to double their goals in the 65th minute, when Dempsey served an easy goal to Gyasi Zardes who just pushed the ball in the back of the net. Ecuador pushed and managed to score in the 74th minute, which worried USA for a bit, as they were close to equalizing at least three more times. Klinsmann will not be able to count on the services of Jermaine Jones after he was sent-off, and also Alejandor Bedoya and Bobby Wood who accumulated yellow cards.

Argentina were dominant in their game once again, after they overcame the obstacle that was Venezuela fairly easily with 4-1. Argentina were up by 2-0 with two goals by Gonzalo Higuain before the half hour mark. In the final moments of the first half, goalkeeper Romero showed cold blood and deflected a penalty kick by Seijas. Argentina exploited their opponents mistakes, with Messi and Lamela scoring one goal each for the final 4-1. Lionel Messi was once again in the spotlight who scored a goal and handed out two assists. With his goal he is now tied in the first place of Argentina’s top scorers with legendary striker Gabriel Batistuta. Messi is also the player with the most assists(8) in the history of the Copa America. Argentina will now be fully ready and prepared to play against USA, hoping to reach the final and contest their first Copa America trophy after 23 years. The last time they won was back in 1993, but they have reached the final three times ever since, having won none, with losses to Brazil in 2004 and 2007, and last year against Chile.

Argentina are plowing through every match with fierce spirit, and the coach and players feel that this year they have the perfect opportunity to capture this specific trophy after 23 years. They easily overcame Venezuela in their previous match and they will be looking to bring some momentum over to this game. On the other hand, USA will have the support of the fans, but they will be missing 3 key players in their squad. I think that USA’s campaign will end here, it will be a huge upset if it doesn’t. Messi and the Argentines have a grade A opportunity to reach the final and have hopes to finally capture the elusive Copa America.

Copa América Prediction: Argentina -1 (-140) courtesy of WagerTalk News