Set Pieces Advice

Discussion in 'Coach' started by Coach Stew, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Coach Stew

Coach Stew Member

Nov 16, 2015
    We're in need of some simple, effective set piece ideas. Specifically I'm looking for literature recommendations that have simple, easy to understand and implement instruction. TIA

2. Timbuck

Timbuck Member

Jul 31, 2012
    It depends on where you are at on the field.
    Defending third - Nothing super creative here. If a short, simple option is "on", play it quickly. But your whole team has to be engaged for the 2nd or 3rd pass. If you play if short and the other 8 field players aren't paying attention, you'll get closed down with no options.

Middle third - I like to keep my 8,9,10 compact. And the far side winger out wide. I don't have a player (girls u15) that can drive a dangerous ball from midfield to the far post. If the defense is compact in the middle of the field, I like to have my wingback cheat up the side and play a ball towards the flag to her.

Attacking third- I could use some help here. If close enough, we try to put it on frame while your attacking players crash for a rebound.

To get creative here, it takes a lot of practice. And that practice can be somewhat counterproductive to overall development if you only practice 2x per week (and if your entire team isn't there to rehearse it).

Good article/podcast here: https://343coaching.com/podcast/soccer-by-3four3/training-rehearsing-soccer-free-kicks-set-pieces/

Watch the video embedded in the article for a cool idea.

Coach Stew repped this.
  3. Coach Stew

Coach Stew Member

Nov 16, 2015
    How about defending?

4. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What if... you left in up to them. Seriously.

Tell them to go do some research on YouTube and have them try it in practice. Block out some time for it and let them work it out.

Coach Stew repped this.
  5. Timbuck

Timbuck Member

Jul 31, 2012
    Defending for me is all about the players staying "switched on."
    I like man to man on corners. 1 player on the near post. Everyone is marking. Goalkeeper in the center of the goal. If an opposing player is all over your goal keeper, you gotta have an enforcer get in the mix and keep your keeper clear.

Figure out who their best player is and if she's not the one taking the kick, probably best to double her. She's probably looking for a header or a volley.

And then watch out for:
    1. Ball played back and wide to the 2 or the 3.
    2. Fake/short corner between 2 players at the flag.
    3. Dummy run and a fake to a player at the top of the box.

(My team has all 3 of these options that we run regularly on corner kicks)

We've given up far too many goals by a poor clearance. Get the ball out of danger quickly. Forget trying to play pretty, possession soccer when there are 19 players inside of the 18.

Set pieces - Set up the wall - (Depending on the age, your keeper should be setting it up)
    • 2 players if the ball is between the 18 and the touchline
    • 3 players if at the corner of the 18 (out to about 30 yards)
    • 4 or 5 if it's within the frame of the 18.
    Everyone else is staying tight with a mark in a flat line, so that you don't keep a deep lying playing onside.

Coach Stew repped this.
  6. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Coach Stew: Since you are coaching HS, this is a very difficult topic to answer specifically. Simple restart plays for teams in possession are relatively easy to come up with as they will be driven by your lineup, not the opponents.

Restart plays for defending is a lot more complicated because they should be driven by the opponents. From your question, I am inferring that you have one system of play. That is going to limit what you plan.

The one suggestion I have is that you develop 2 different ways of defending against corner kicks and free kicks near your penalty area. One primarily man to man marking with 2 players zonal marking on the posts (assuming you don't have a keeper who doesn't need the help). The second consisting of additional zonal marking with as little as 2-3 man markers on the key opponents or keying on late runners or runners crossing the grain. This will give you the ability to change your look and make it more difficult for opponents to beat you with their own set plays.

The problem with set plays is that they are usually designed to be player dependent. When you have a situation where you use a lot of subs, set plays can cause more opportunity for confusion and error.

Good luck, coach.

Coach Stew repped this.
  7. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    I had some free time this morning so I googled to see what was out there--and found a lot of stuff that isn't helpful. Most of it didn't have any ideas that you would not already know.

This was a pretty interesting discussion of defending corners in youth soccer, but depending on the level of your players it may not be relevant. Notice the reader comments below about the keeper.

https://mondaymorningcentreback.wor...fending-corner-kicks-u13-to-u18-youth-soccer/

(The computer I am borrowing doesn't have speakers so I could not review any you tube clips.)

Coach Stew repped this.