Serie A Season 2012-2013

Discussion in 'Lazio' started by Rob_420, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    We're tied for first so time to fire up this thread!

2. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Great start to the season. I expected at least 4 pts from the first two fixtures and the win in Bergamo was a nice starting point and beating on a poor Palermo team is what good teams should do. The Palermo defense is in a rough transition and Micoli is ageing, they might be candidates for relegation IMO.

Another great performance today particularly defensively. I am still worried about the CB pairing of Biava and Dias going forward since both faded last season especially Dias, but that's why we have Diakhite to come off the bench if need be. 2 clean sheets thus far is a great start.

The midfield looks very strong and with both Konko and Lulic pushing down the flanks we're very dangerous going forward. I suspect stronger teams will press both our wing backs more and that could be a problem, because I think they're decent in the case of Konko but below average in the case of Lulic defensively. Ledesma, Gonzo, and Mauri are linking up well with Hernanes and Candreva in the middle and they all compliment each other well as whole.

Klose bagged his first 2 goals of the Serie A season both were well taken a true goal scorer who wastes little time. Candreva's strike was a thing of beauty, the late swerve left the Palermo keeper flailing. He looked very active today and he's really grown in confidence since his first few starts last season. We have enough depth with attacking mids but we can't lose Klose for any stretch like last season.

Busy schedule coming with Chievo, Genoa, Tottenham and Napoli coming up. Our depth will be put the test already but the team has responded well to Petkovic whom I had doubts about.

3. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure you guys got Ciani from bordeaux on the cheap, a very tall and physical CB who was a boss for bordeaux these last couple of seasons
    Candreva seems to have fit right in with lazio, continuing his form from last season or at least towards the end of it

4. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Ciani looks big and physical. We got 4 CBs which should bode well going forward. The depth of this team is solidifying. Now the concern in up front because another injury to close could be disastrous. Kozak isn't up for that starting role and Zarate is more of a second striker.

Candreva has been great, he was really propelling the team late last season with Klose out and Hernanes struggling with injuries.

5. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Lazio has had a stellar start thus far. Giving up virtually nothing to Palermo and Marchetti did an A+ job against Atalanta. It really is a mystery how Marchetti is not the #2 keeper for national team. De Santis is garbage, Sirigu fvcking sucks, hes struggling with clean sheets with an all star team in front of him, and Marchetti is clearly above Viviano.

Hopefully we keep up this form. Lazio has a lot of weapons. Candreva Klose Hernanes Lulic Konko Mauri Ederson and hopefully Zarate this season will bite any opposition on the attack especially with Ledesma distributing the ball out.

Nice to see also Onazi getting some time. Petkovic is a big fan and apparently he absolutely dominated Primavera last season as our Primavera lost to Inter by a goal in the finals.

A lot of fvckfaces are saying Riom have a chance at the scudetto, but when were all healthy, Lazio has much more strength.

6. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Another win. Away in the Bentegodi were Cheivo are typically a hard team to beat at home. In fact, Chievo hadn't conceded a goal in the last 4 home games until Lazio came in to fvck shit up. Hernanes was inspirational and LaLazioSiamoNoi even rated him a 9/10, the highest rank i've seen on LLSN. He really was untouchable and made the Chievo players look like amateurs.

Marchetti took a step back in from his recent performances. He didn't come out as confidently as he has been and flapped at crosses often. Nonetheless, Marchetti has done a great job which he has only conceded on a non-existent penalty shot(even commentators agreed).

With Petkovic, we score 3 and win comfortably. With Reja perhaps we would have been fortunate to have won or tied. Petkovic demands goals and lots of them. We have the power to crush these teams and im glad Petkovic is squeezing the maximum out of the players he has on the field. Looks like he's going to make it in the Serie A.

7. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Don't quite get it myself. The two games he played at the WC vs NZ and vs Slovakia at the WC is holding Marchetti back. De Scantis is a poor keeper IMO, he doesn't exude any confidence, Sirigu is ok and Viviano is mostly unproven. Tbh it should be between Marchetti and Abbiati for the #2 spot on the NT and neither get a look.

8. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Fantastic start!

I was skeptical about Petkovic mainly due to him being a unknown manager, but he has really turned Lazio loose on their opponents thus far. The squad looks much more dangerous going forward than previous years. Hernanes is attacking the whenever he gets the ball rather than playing around a playing the wings. He's in incredible form and has been the best player in Serie A thus far IMO. Klose continues to do what he does which is be in the right place at the right time and his movement off the ball has opened things up for our attacking mids.

The continuity of our midfield has really helped. Ledesma, Gonzalez, Mauri, and Hernanes have played 2 seasons and plenty o matches together. There's a strong familiarity amongst them.

Roma have the hype but they will always drop matches like they did this past week. Milan are really struggling, Inter are decent, and Napoli look good but untested. Juve are obviously the team to beat but they haven't looked all that impressive despite their perfect record. I have a feeling we'll be in the chase all season long and a top 3 finish is looking like a probability rather than a possibility.

9. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Lets not be merda fans and think the world is ours on 3 straight wins. Atalanta has proven last season was not a fluke, and Palermo looked good last week which they have created a lot of chances against Cagliari and they couldn't even cross half when we played them. Then we beat Chievo who shut out their opponents in their last 4 home games, another positive sign. BUT we are going to lose players due to injury and it will hurt us especially since Lazio always battles on 3 fronts full force.

Which brings me to Thursday's game versus Tottenham. English teams always seem to get the better of Italian teams so I am a bit worried in all honesty. Tottenham are always a team of quality but this season we are proving to be a strong solid group. Konko is out of this match who is a real sly coy player down his flank which we will be missing. On the other flank, Lulic is back and hopefully plays on Bale's wing because I have a ton of confidence in Lulic's game. Lulic and Bale are players who dictate and dominate their wing every game so hopefully these 2 can have a rally on the wing.

Forza Lazio. Fino alla vittoria!

10. Join or Die

Join or Die Member

May 31, 2009
    Local 138
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's a long season. Lets hope we stay healthy and remain grounded.

11. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Genoa didnt deserve 1 point and took 3. They scored because Biava cramped up before approaching the ball and dropped on the field. cool

12. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Very unfortunate. One way traffic all game and like you said a goal from a player cramping up at the wrong time. Borriello did take his chance well, though Marchetti could have taken a better angle IMO. Hopefully the boys don't get disheartened, they can take plenty away form this game. The movement from the midfielders and forwards was great and we stretched probed the Genoa backline all night. Frey had a great game and the finishing wasn't there other times. Still a very positive performance.

13. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ya I have to mention Frey was good. Candreva cannoned his shot in the corner from a close range and Frey somehow dove to turned it aside. Candreva took more perimeter shots on top of the box which Frey couldn't grab but the rebounds were never in anyone's path unfortunately.

I was certainly disheartened. I did not take the defeat well. This was a really important win to take a joint lead with Juve and leave the rest behind but we lost and now have injury issues once again.

It seems like this was Zarate's last chance. He was booed off the field for the first time by the olimpico and Petkovic got really upset with him. Its crazy how Zarate went from a Messi-like season in 09 and can't do shit all anymore. I just dont get it. This game should be the last of Zarate in Serie A.

14. william6

william6 Member

Jan 5, 2011
    naples
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    tough game coming up. but you need more pppl on here

15. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Yes very tough game indeed!

Klose call for real. Klose hands the ball into the net off a corner and it is rightfully disallowed. Worth a try it very well almost eluded the referees.

16. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Damn 2-0 Napoli, Cavani with a brace. First goal was deflected off Ciani leaving Marchetti with no chance. The 2nd was well struck by Cavani but Marchetti should have done better there.

17. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Poor 1st half, Napoli have run us ragged at times. Both goals wre preventable but can't say they weren't deserved. Their backline has looked shakey at times, hopefully an early goal can unsettle them a bit.

18. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Standing ovation for Napoli soccer.
    Great performance.

We looked so so so bad today I am not going to look into this game and analyze. Just compliments to Napoli soccer

19. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Respect for the class Klose showed in owning up to the handball.

20. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ya 1-0 could have helped us big time. Lazio when totally defensive minded are hard to beat, but Cavani caught the defense off guard twice and a deflection for his other goal.

Klose is a professional and Mazzari is a p.o.s for not disrespecting Klose even though he did the right thing.

21. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    underrated

22. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Lazio? Of course. Why? because every loss Rom gets is just a little bump on their way to winning the scudetto. right?

Also, our pre-season results were not positive though we dominated every game which is why noone had their eye on Petkovic's Lazio. Its nice to see we are more dangerous when it counts.

Great win today. Siena had 2 opportunities to score all game, well their goal was like a 1/2 chance that bounced in their favor. We should have put the game way beyond reach but credit to Siena's defenders with their last second tackles on Klose and closing the gaps forcing tough long shots.

Hopefully we do not fall out of form again with Europa League overloading our schedule.

23. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I go in and out of the italy forums and I don't think anyone had aspiration for lazio being in the top 3-4, petkovic was one reason but also the transfer season had very little to say about lazio, but you guys have managed to keep a good set of regulars and add a bit to it to expand the depth forming a squad talented enough to rival roma,inter, milan, udi, fiore
    of coarse both milan clubs are going through a transition, roma with their new style, fiore and udi replacing their squads creates a bigger door for lazio to place high on the table

24. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    To be quite fair not many people have rated Lazio for the past two seasons either when we finished fifth then fourth last season. Probably one of the main reasons is we just do not have the big name players that others have. Casuals will probably only recall Hernanes and Klose. Casual fans will probably think we rely on them as well which is far from the truth.

We have not had a great mercato for a long time now and the last one was no exception but at least we did not let go off any of the regulers and added some depth to the squad.

I think Lazio's target is the Champions League spots behind Juventus who look sure fire Scudetto winners even at this early stage. I think Napoli, Internazionale and Fiorentina to be our rivals in that regard and possibly Milan as well when they get their act together. Roma and Udinese do not convince me. I do not think either will get European football come the end of the season.

25. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Another solid win against a team that has given us some problems in the past year. Siena also beat us 3-0 in the pre season.

Nice to see Ederson get on the board. Our depth in the attacking midfield area might be the deepest in Serie A. Our midfield depth overall gives us the ability to be flexible and handle both Serie A and the EL.

Lazio haven't gotten the respect in the past 2 seasons, I think this is due to us losing games when we get a little bit of exposure (e.g. Napoli on Wed, Genoa last week, Bologna last season, losses to the big 3). Many forget that yes we stumbled down the stretch the past 2 seasons, but the injuries were simply too much to overcome. Somewhat of a shame because we surely would have put more resources into the CL than Udinese.