No longer a Barça lounger: Sergiño Dest at PSV (olf FC Barcelona)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Oct 24, 2016.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    If he's not in line for FT gametime next season, maybe he will get a loan to another Eredivsie team, maybe MLS loan till winter?

3. Given that he already being 18 and not having played or debuted in the first team yet, I doubt he's being in the next season's line up. Donot see a loan either. With Young Ajax he more than enough gets the experience necesary against guys that play for their mortgages etc. In that scenario he also is available when unfortunate injury circumstances hit the first team.

wixson7 repped this.
  4. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Insane skills from him in his last game...

Check out @USMNTvideos’s Tweet:
    1115413918346809345 is not a valid tweet id

5. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lightning quick with the snug control...nice.

6. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    does he already have the best close control of anyone in our pool?

wixson7 repped this.
  7. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    yes

wixson7 repped this.
  8. LouisZ and bballshawn repped this.
  9. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not just relative to our pool.

His control skill is superior at world scale.

bballshawn repped this.
  10. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So better than Pulisic?

11. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yes, pretty decisively

wixson7 repped this.
  12. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Dest and Pulisic touch control are about even what sets them apart, Dest can take a challenge better than Pulisic and as defender, you have to be able to do that.

13. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Even though we've never seen Dest play at a speed anywhere close to the level that Pulisic plays at week-in and week-out? Shocking that Dest is still Jong Ajax.

14. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jong Ajax may well be tougher to break into this season than Dortmund. After all, the former is still in Champion's League unlike the latter.

I think close control is an attribute that can be gauged relatively independent of competition. Pulisic has a somewhat longer dribble because at times he's too intense. Whereas Dest is cooler and keeps that ball tighter. Shorter steps vs. longer steps. Pulisic will let the ball get out in front of him too far on the break to the point he leaves it open to getting picked by defenders and gk's. He doesn't set an overly tough standard to eclipse if we're talking best American in this one skill or area of understanding. His success for an American is most in his mental strength, endurance, and wheels.

TimB4Last repped this.
  15. You're right with your critical tone in your remark.
    Although the coaches in Germany, France and Spain of the top teams have said (recently Klopp said it too. Can't remember where I read it) they envy us for the way we make it possible for Young teams to play against teams and players that will give them a hard time and an opposition of men instead of boys as it speeds up their development, it isnot on par with Eredivisie and for certain not with BuLi level.

16. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, the former is a B team in the Dutch 2nd tier, the latter is 2nd in the BL and has allowed CP to play in over 20 UCL games.

I think close control is totally dependent on the level of competition. The whole idea of player development is can you do the same things faster and with less space. It’s like saying you can tell how good someone will be by watching them dribble around a field by themselves.

Maybe Dest has as good close control, but we can’t know until he tries to utilize it at the game’s fastest pace.

17. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. I get what you're saying and I'm not making a comparison to Pulisic, but I can tell that Dest has exceptional control without seeing him play at a higher level than he is at right now.

Past Dest's current playing level, it's the player's physical and cognitive abilities that are put under greater stress as they progress tier-by-tier, not their technical ability.

It's hard to separate physical and cognitive ability from the application of skill in context, but the challenge for Dest in the Eredivisie or Bundesliga won't be controlling the ball.

It will be perceiving, conceiving and deciding what to do both with and without it, with greater quality, at greater frequency, and sustained for longer durations of time.

18. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Notable that Dest was wearing the #5 jersey and playing left back in the game against PSV U19.

Tom Collingsworth and wixson7 repped this.
  19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Started & went 90 for Jong Ajax yesterday:

20. https://www.fr12.nl/nieuws/50585-kuyt-een-mooie-toekomst-voor-de-club.html
    https://www.ajaxshowtime.com/article/hoofdnieuws/122018/ajax-o19-verliest-weer-op-varkenoord
    Opstelling Feyenoord O19
    Koorevaar; Hall, Lewis, Hendriks (Azarkan), Hartman; Kökcu, Geertruida, Burger (Huijgen); El Bouchataoui, Bannis, Toure.

Wissels Feyenoord O19:
    Huijgen, Gunduz, Jansen, De Mooij, Van der Zeeuw, Van der Sloot, Azarkan.

Opstelling Ajax O19:
    El Maach; Dest, Kasanwirjo, J. Timber, Salah-Eddine (Van Gelderen); Q. Timber (Maddy), Llansana, Taylor; Hansen, Brobbey, Ünüvar (Dostanic).

Wissels Ajax O19:
    Reiziger, Van Gelderen, Abid, Maddy, Regeer, Dostanic, Bonnah.

Doelpunten:
    1-0 Hendriks (22')
    1-1 Hansen (29')
    1-2 Taylor (43')
    2-2 El Bouchataoui (58')
    3-2 Bannis (60')
    4-2 El Bouchataoui (64')
    5-2 Hartman (76')
    5-3 Kasanwirjo (89')

wixson7, Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  21. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    That is some serious play acting, the fake face injury. One early was beyond embarrassing, and then what is the keeper doing flopping about at the end.

Shame.

TimB4Last repped this.
  22. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    The confidence is outstanding on this kid. Definitely looking forward to how he matches up with bigger faster better opponents.

Winoman repped this.