Sergiño Dest

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bsky22, Aug 2, 2019.

1. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    The best part about this as a US fan is none of it matters to us. Wherever he plays he will pretty much be our best option. Ajax, or whatever club, can develop him where their superior expertise shows him to be the most valuable, and Egg (or hopefully, the next coach) can just plug and play.

2. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That's fair, and I think for that reason he can be a great asset. If not as a fullback then definitely as a winger.

russ and yurch10 repped this.
  3. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Based on what I've seen (limited to U17 and U20 WCs) I think he'd probably be a better attacker/winger. His ball skills are rare (for the US team at least), so not sure why he's always been a fullback. Regardless, he's got plenty of time to figure out his best spot and as I said, US Soccer should obviously defer to Ajax on where that is.

TOAzer repped this.
  4. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all about the ratios, yes? The Dutch may occasionally make a mess of how they play. Sometimes even have a messy year. But they have never, at least since the days of Cruyff, been setting out as their standard of what their play means the awful pile of dung we have put out the last two years. Even Magnus Carlsen can have a bad game, or stretch, relative to his usual excellence. But should I style myself "Cagnus Marlsen", and go on Chess.com. no one on the healthy side of the line of insanity would describe the ugly trail of messed up chess slime I'd exhibit as "Magnus Carlsen Style". And no one, on the healthy side of the line of insanity, would suggest that the rare mess of a game from Magnus implies our styles are in anyway akin.

5. Yup. There are some delusional posters in here that think my prime objective is to diss Dest and linked to that the USMNT, while in fact I'm simply pointing to the best way to use Dest in accordance to the qualities he in fact has, not the qualities attributed to him.
    Berhalter should take note of what I posted and make the USMNT profit from it.

6. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    If you are one of the decision makers/coaches at Ajax, I agree.

7. :ROFLMAO:
    They would think I'm trying to derail their title aspirations with my suggestion to move him up a line.
    However it would only be formalizing where he most of the time in a match is anyway.

8. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It wouldn't make sense for Ajax though because who would he replace on the wing? He's not a better attacker than Neres, Promes or Ziyech. Likewise for Oranje he wouldn't replace the current wingers. So as an attacking fullback he kind of fulfills a certain niche.

Not sure how that situation is in the USMNT though. I'll take @yurch10's word for it. If the USMNT doesn't have a better attacking winger then that could definitely be worth testing for them regardless of where he plays for Ajax.

9. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JOB was a backliner for Ajax but a box to box CM for the US.

CyphaPSU repped this.
  10. There you are...the past is reverberating to the presence

11. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    I also think Cannon/Yedlin are not an issue at RB. They're not world beaters but they're solid. Dest's skills are best advanced (he is a poor defender) and him as a winger would be the best usage of talent for the US.

The other idea I had: play Ream as a stay at home LB, Dest as a RB. This would give some balance to the back line. Almost work like a back 3. The issue with Dest's style is it doesn't really work with how the US plays.

12. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    Has Dest ever played centrally for Ajax? When I look at Dest and his skill set I see superior technical skills, some creativity, and elite combination play in tight spaces (all relative to our pool). He also seems to be developing a decent shot from outside of the box. He doesn't strike me as the classic winger that is going to want to try and beat his mark to the end line all game long. I'm sure he could do it ok but IMO it would be a waste of his talent for our team. Pulisic is desperate for somebody that he can combine with...Arriola seems like he is the only one that I can recall that he has gotten anything going with at all. I'd like to see Dest play in more of an attacking capacity, inverted on the left, with Pulisic and him interchanging and drifting in and out centrally and wide relative to each other. Or, I'd like to see him play as a central attacking midfielder. Sargent would be another that would benefit greatly from Dest's ability to combine. Someone smarter than me can come up with the specifics but besides a ball winner at the 6, it seems to me that our biggest need is attacking midfielders.

TimB4Last repped this.
  13. Not in the first team or at Young Ajax. He will most likely have played in central roles in midfield or defense in the Uxx teams as it is often done to play kids in several roles on the pitch for learning practices.
    Dest comes into his strengths in attacking sense when he can combine with another player who's technically strong, like at Ajax with Ziyech.

14. Black Tide

Black Tide Member+

Mar 8, 2007
    the 8th Dimension
    As someone who has had kidney stones, trust me when I say you do not want them to be pass. You want them to get in there with the ultrasound machine that rattles your insides until it breaks apart into tiny bits.

What I am saying is that is how we should deal with Egg.

TOAzer repped this.
  15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    You bring the ultrasound and we'll bring the ultra-fury. :thumbsup:

TOAzer repped this.
  16. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, what could have been had he stayed fit...

russ repped this.
  17. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It seems that Stewart is actually the guy who is dictating the overall style for the USMNT. https://www.inquirer.com/soccer/usw...-berhalter-usmnt-earnie-stewart-20191029.html

superdave repped this.
  18. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yes, but the Dutch have various natural advantages that we don't. Small footprint and a few major clubs playing the same style makes it easy to just use the style in the NT. We have no similar "style". What we call a "style" was probably based off of the tactical framework that is forced by the NCAA changes to the game.

19. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you are saying that the "style" we have seen for General Egg's term is dictated by Earnie? What a convenient excuse for Berhalter, Brother of General Egg, to not have to fire Berhalter, Brother to the Brother of General Egg.

Sorry, Jay. Egg is responsible for his "omelet".

20. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Would you say that he would do well in a hybrid role? For instance, in transition from defense to offense he would pinch in a little and become midfielder?

21. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The above is a post searching for a point, Jay.

22. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Probably best for you to be informed as to my current viewpoint. At this point I am not really enamored with what Stewart has done so far. I backed him for the post but what I see happening is that he is shoehorning the USSF in to a format better suited for a small European country. I am very alarmed with what is happening at the NT and YNT level.

23. I think so, although my preference would be in the midfield, so he has someone covering his back instead of being the one responsible for that as the last man before the backline, but that's just my opinion on using him to his full strength.
    Keep in mind though that opinion is based on his current state, that is still under development. It could well be in a year or two/three he matured physically and tactically that much he's less prone to the defensive lapses I see him get into now.

24. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    No thanks. He is way better used on the wings. His ball winning abilities aren't great and to play in the center, you need to win 50/50s. That's been our (USMNT) biggest problem. Even 10's need to win balls with how teams press and start out of the back.

I'd also say he is very good combining but better taking guys on. His final balls that I've seen at Ajax have not been too good either.

25. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I share your alarm. However, I hold Berhalter responsible for the USMNT.