Sergiño Dest

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bsky22, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I'd be surprised if he left for the Netherlands without attending a camp. But does anyone make an announcement to stay with the same team?

2. Dander

Dander Member

Tampa Bay Rowdies
    United States
    Apr 3, 2017
    Lolz, I believe you're right. Guess he didn't like ride he was offered in our clowncar.

TOAzer repped this.
  3. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
  4. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said that I was fine, I lied, I'm emotionally vulnerable.

5. Insecticide

Insecticide Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he was on the fence until he saw our game vs Canada.

Let's be honest here.

He has to choose between a third-world soccer nation (us) and a soccer superpower (the Netherlands).

All we have to offer him is a better chance to play... in the Gold Cup.

sXeWesley and ChicagoVT repped this.
  6. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s choosing the US. Relax.

Marius Tresor repped this.
  7. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    So what’s the timeline for a one-time switch? I think he’d be cutting it close to be available for Holland’s November qualifiers unless he applied a little while ago and is now about to announce it.

I don’t believe the Dutch would play again until March.

largegarlic repped this.
  8. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA

Gosh, wonder why Berhalter and Stewart would be in the Netherlands...

9. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I hope you're right.

10. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Things became much easier for Dest to chose the US from the moment Ajax admitted that the sporting staff thought Netherlands more desirable but the marketing arm wanted a US choice. Once Ajax became amenable to both choices the biggest social pressure for Dest to chose Oranje over Red, White and Blue became null. In the end, Dest has played with a lot of upcomers that seemed destined to become part of the USNT and he has developed relationships with them. That's pretty big social pressure. The big question then is what the Ajax players that are part of the Netherlands NT are saying. If they are telling him that he has a big future with the NT then our goose might be cooked. If they are tepid then we have a big chance.

11. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Dest played extremely well today. Also, he's not really a fullback. I don't blame him for not stopping Puli's pass - nobody stops Puli from making that pass.

Dest is sooooo good on the ball. Such a good dribbler, such a good passer, I can't conceive that he won't end up in the front half of the squad for club and country eventually.

Imo, offensively, he is just about Puli's equal. And, he probably has a better shot (Puli's shot is noooot good)

Imo, if we had Puli and Dest as our attacking wingers, that would be pretty devastating.

12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The funny thing is Cannon moved to attacking position v. Seattle last week-end so if Dest does, too, Lima could yet end up our starting rb while playing behind Thompson at SJ !!

Meanwhile, USMNT has a big, shiny bald spot at lb.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  13. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cannon played pretty well there too... including a goal. We still have Yedlin at RB and while not perfect... I think he is pretty good. If Adams comes back healthy and in form then he can help getting the ball out of the back. But LB? Yeah... it has been a glaring hole for us for years now. I have high hopes for Gloster... But he is likely a ways off. Bayern also has Richards playing RB even though he is better suited for CB. I see those two in our D in the future... but will it be in time for WC2022 Q?

14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Tough to assess the loss, assuming he goes with Oranj. He's only 18, and RB isn't a position of need for us. Maybe he matured early and this is his ultimate level. Maybe he'll be a UCL player for a team in one of the Big 5. Maybe he'll become a dominating mid. Or maybe he'll remain a sweet passing fullback who can't defend well.

15. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted this in the Dest thread on YA, but I might as well post here as well. If Dest picks us, it would definitely be interesting for us to try out a formation with 2 wingbacks. We would have two in Yedlin and Dest that would fit that role well. Something like this would be a neat experiment:

[​IMG]

Daydreams...

16. The Qualifiers are within 3 weeks. No way he would be called in to play a critical match to determine which team ends as nr 1, while he has no connection with the team as whole at all.
    zaterdag 16 november 2019 20:45 KWA Windsor Park, Belfast
    Noord-Ierland vs Nederland
    dinsdag 19 november 2019 20:45 KWA Johan Cruijff ArenA Nederland vs Estland

russ repped this.
  17. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Dest kind of reminds me of Fabian Johnson. Has very good technical ability, but maybe isn't quite good enough defensively to be a top-notch (i.e., play for one of the Euro super clubs) outside back. But he's also not quite productive enough going forward to be a top-notch winger.

But of course, he doesn't have to be that good to be a big help to the USMNT.

manq360 repped this.
  18. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    Dest is 18...odds are he isn't a finished product.

19. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    Gosh, wonder why Berhalter and Stewart would be in the Netherlands...[/QUOTE]
    Probably visiting Josh pynadath, taking that photo, hopping a plane back home while feeling they forgot something else to do.

20. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    why not a 343/352? we would just need a manager who understands it.

The Boar? I think they would let him go at Atlanta.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_de_Boer

De Boer is the second most capped outfield player in the history of the Netherlands national team, with 112 caps.[3] He captained the Oranje to the semi-finals of both the 1998 FIFA World Cup and UEFA Euro 2000. He is the twin brother of Ronald de Boer, with whom he was a teammate at Ajax, Barcelona, Rangers, Al-Rayyan, Al-Shamal and the Netherlands national team.

21. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s someone I was hoping for right after Bruce. Wouldn’t be against him now either.

22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Sarge is not a 9
    Pulisic is not a winger.
    Weah hasn't shown anything
    Yedlin can't cross
    McKennie doesn't have a position
    Dest isn't a left back
    Brooks has been good/bad depending on the day of the week.

Otherwise I'd say your lineup is...…………..pffft.

23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    the thing that impressed me about DeBoer was that it didn't take him long to understand that Tata had set up a 3cb system which used Gressel as a linchpin. He basically accomodated himself to the players he had and that is something I admire in a coach - as opposed to somebody who declares that we just aren't good enough because they cant play HIS system:whistling:.

sXeWesley and TOAzer repped this.
  24. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    #974 RalleeMonkey, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    Question for whomever on the thread lives in Netherlands - preferably Amsterdam, or is an Ajax fan.

My family will be in Amsterdam on 12/22, when Ajax has a Sunday afternoon match against Den Haag. We would like to go to the match.

If there is anyone who could tell me about do's, don't's, what part of the stadium to buy tix in, is there a tailgating culture with Dutch football? Anything else I'd need to know, I would really appreciate it. We can take it to the "message" part of the board.

Also, how can we buy the tix online?

Thanks in advance!

SamsArmySam repped this.
  25. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not on board with ream, and dest on the left still bothers me but damn...i sure wouldnt mind seeing this.

and dont worry about excellency, slap marky delgado in there somewhere and hell jump on board...