Sergiño Dest

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bsky22, Aug 2, 2019.

1. read my comment on that article. Just rehashed old news.

2. Part 3:
    [​IMG]
    Screenshot 3: Dest staat een meter of vijf hoger dan de centrale verdedigers. Deze ruimte wordt direct gepakt door de snelle Bamba. De ruimte ontstaat omdat Dest in beginsel georiënteerd is op de tegenstander. Hij wil in eerste instantie voorkomen dat deze de bal in de voeten krijgt en verliest daardoor de ruimte achter zich uit het oog. Daardoor ontstaat het gat. Het duurt even voor hij dat gecorrigeerd heeft. Uiteindelijk is hij op tijd terug, maar moet hij toch een gevaarlijke voorzet toestaan. Onana redt.

Screenshot 3: Dest is about five meters higher than the central defenders. This space is immediately taken by the fast Bamba. The space emerges because Dest in principle is focused/oriented on the opponent. In the first instance, he wants to prevent him receiving the ball at his feet and as a result loses sight of the space behind him. This creates the gap. It takes a while for him to correct that. In the end he is back in time, but still has to allow a dangerous pass. Onana saves.

Ook in de 70e minuut blijkt dat Dest nog wat te verbeteren heeft. Een tegenstander krijgt de mogelijkheid om uit de rug van de rechtsback recht naar het doel te lopen. Het loopt goed af. Betere spelers die Ajax verderop in de Champions League nog zeker zal treffen, straffen dit soort foutjes af. Het betreft overigens een situatie waarbij ook Veltman gedeeltelijk verantwoordelijk is. Communicatie is essentieel tussen beiden en de vraag is of hier wat geroepen wordt.

Also in the 70th minute it shows that Dest still has some things to improve. An opponent is given the opportunity to head straight to the goal out of the back of the right back. It ends well. Better players that Ajax will certainly meet later in the Champions League will punish these kinds of mistakes. Anyway this is also a situation in which Veltman is sharing responsibility. Communication is essential between the two and the question is whether something has been shouted here.

[​IMG]
    Screenshot 4: Bij een snelle omschakeling zijn zowel Veltman als Dest georiënteerd op de man met de bal. Had de man met bal het overzicht behouden, dan had hij direct de bal tussen de beide Ajacieden kunnen doorsteken. Dest laat de man uit zijn rug lopen. Hij had kunnen zien dat Veltman deze man oppikte en de centrale verdediger had op zijn beurt Dest moeten wijzen op de man achter hem. Omdat Lille het spel vertraagt, kan Dest uiteindelijk corrigeren.

Screenshot 4: At a quick turn over/switch, both Veltman and Dest are focused on the man with the ball. If the man with the ball had kept the overview, he could have immediately put the ball through between the two Ajax players. Dest lets the man run out of his back. He could have seen that Veltman picked up this man (the one with the ball) and the central defender in turn should have pointed Dest at the man behind him. Because Lille slows down the play, Dest can eventually correct the situation.

Slotconclusie
    Het aanvalsspel van Dest is gevarieerd en de samenwerking met Ziyech en Álvarez lijkt in balbezit goed te verlopen. Als die twee opgesteld staan, kan Dest op dit moment voor Ten Hag de beste optie zijn. In defensief opzicht zou de routine van Veltman de doorslag kunnen geven, zeker wanneer een tegenstander wat meer op de Ajax-helft speelt. Er zijn meer factoren te bedenken waarom een trainer wel of niet voor een rechtsback kiest: de kwaliteiten van een directe tegenstander en wie daar bij past? Waar ontstaat ruimte in balbezit en welke speler benut deze het beste?

Tegen Lille pakte de invulling met betrekking tot de score goed uit, maar er waren grote kansen voor Lille. In verdedigend opzicht lijkt de rechtsbackpositie nog kwetsbaar, maar Dest heeft natuurlijk de leeftijd om zich op dat vlak te ontwikkelen. Aanvallend had Dest in ieder geval een uitstekende inbreng met zijn snelheid en variatie.

Final conclusion
    Dest's attack game is varied and the cooperation with Ziyech and Álvarez seems to be going well during possession of the ball. If those two are put on the pitch, Dest can currently be the best option for Ten Hag. From a defensive point of view, Veltman's experience could be the deciding factor, certainly when an opponent plays a little more in the Ajax half. There are more factors coming in mind about why a coach opts or not
    mso-ansi-language:EN" lang="EN">for a certain right back: the qualities of a direct opponent and who fits them best? Where does room in possession emerge and which player makes the best use of it?
    Against Lille, the MO with regard to the score worked out well, but there were great opportunities for Lille. In defensive terms, the right-back position still seems vulnerable, but of course Dest has the age to develop in that area. Anyway, Dest had an excellent input attack wise with his speed and variation.

Ruud Bijnen works as a football analyst for Almere City, recently obtained a Masters in Coaching at the Cruijff Institute and is watching important matches for VoetbalPrimeur.

russ, nbarbour and TimB4Last repped this.
  3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm enjoying these talking points. Too often we don't take into account what real coaches look for in players and think they pick the wrong guy. Obviously most don't want to criticize in the press and they still can make bad choices but sometimes it's little things like these that result in going back to the bench. I'm certainly not going through every play and decision on a game but I imagine good coaches are. It's not just the good plays but the bad plays, even the ones that don't result in a goal for the opponent.

4. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Dest will probably stay with US. He has been playing for the US for years at multiple levels..If he is going to make the one time switch it will be because he initiated it not because the Netherlands came and begged him. Dest has been with Ajax since he was 12 they have probably always known about him since Netherlands youth teams are dominated by Ajax players. They probably were not going to chase a guy who did not seem interested in playing for them.

wixson7 repped this.
  5. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    I generally agree with your high-level points in this thread, but it's every bit as much about the US players coming up behind the four you mentioned above and the success they've had at the youth international level. You're overrating the Dutch' and underrating the US' future prospects based on historical standards while not taking into effect the massive growth of the game here and it's likely positive impact on the US squad over Dest's playing career. I don't dispute the Dutch will probably still be better, but the gap will not be as great as many think and time will bear that out.

Great player, but he was playing youth ball and breaking into Groningen at the same age McKennie was playing for Schalke. We should probably give Weston another seven years to see how much improvement he has left in his game before making direct comparisons. Also, Virgil van Dijk will be in decline or retired over the course of Dest's hypothetical Netherlands career, so younger Dutch players are far more relevant to the decision.

don Lamb repped this.
  6. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    Younger Dutch players dest has never played on youth national teams with...

7. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Dutch have a ton of young talent coming through as well. Boadu, Stengs, Ihattaren, Wijindal, Koopmeiners. The likes of Gravenberch, Unuvar and Kenneth Taylor supposed to be big talents in the Ajax academy. De Ligt is only 19.

8. So I wonder if my translation gave more insight than the google one for those that read both.

sXeWesley and USSoccerNova repped this.
  9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yes, very nice. Actually what I find with Dest is that his positioning theory is good but he can be a half step off in accuracy. I find myself trying to move him one step while enjoying his game over all. Having said that, the Dutch style is to grab an extra advantage so it's usually a treat to watch.

I think the problem we may have in getting him for USA is that the Orange are going to sit down with him and point out the midfielders he will play with for USA. The video is all there. They will point to Cannon/McKennie as the fullback/mid style the Americans play and compare it unfavorably to legendary Dutch teams.

otoh, Dest is guaranteed to play a World Cup because he will only be 25 in 2026 when we host. He'll have the honor for the rest of his life of having played in a World Cup. That is significant.

10. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    So, my point stands.

11. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you mean by "Program"?

12. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    I just don't think a WC 7 years from now would play into Dests decision. I'm also probably the lowest of anyone who follows the USNT on McKennie too. I just don't think he's anything special. He's a fine player but there are guys who are better coming up through the system. Every match I watch or read about is "well he was really good except this one point he switched off and was the reason they gave up a goal". That's just my opinion and maybe he will be really good. With VVD-- OK, so he's playing next to de Ligt when he takes over RCB instead. He's just 20.

I disagree too about the US vs Dutch difference. The Netherlands has had a eerily similar story to the US over the last 5 years (a terrible generation, missing WC, etc.) but this current group with de Jong, van de Beek, de Ligt, Bergwijn, Malen is just another level from the similar US top 5 if we want to talk 22 and under. To be fair: that might be the best top U-22 5 of any squad in the world?

Anyways, I just hope he picks a team this window. I think the US' strengths are familiarity, support over the years, friendships, playing time, maybe even marketability (and potential future transfers). Those are really important. I just don't think you can compare the talent of the 2 sides at this point.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  13. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Familiarity with how US Soccer operates vs. no idea with how things work with the KNVB. It might not be a big deal at all, but he knows what the deal is with US operationally and playing style wise.... I think that could be a good thing. Some people value that.

14. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    If I had a nickel for every time someone says forget X, we have better coming through the system, I'd have many nickels.

Deeneaus repped this.
  15. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    The line in Vegas is 3-2, he goes to the Netherlands.

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    The longer Dest keeps his starting LB spot and the longer Ajax keeps winning, the more Dest is encouraged to think he make a run for the Dutch side.

But really, why would he make any move until he absolutely has to? He's 19. My guess is he just stays switch eligible for a while.

17. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    I wouldn't count on familiarity with how USSF works as being a strength. If anything it might be a detriment seeing how clueless these people are.

striker and Ghost repped this.
  18. He better have a good look at Mazraoui. The same Ajax crowd that has Dest as their favourite were hailing Maz as the next thing to make de Ligt like impact. That season every Dutch soccer lover was in uproar about him choosing for Morocco, as we needed him as the rightback for the Orange team. Alot of people even called him a traitor. Now that same crowd dropped Maz like a hot potato.
    To point at the different status Maz had with Koeman is the fact Koeman personally tried to make him chose for the Orange team.
    (https://www.voetbalprimeur.nl/nieuw...i-aan-het-twijfelen-dat-dacht-ik-altijd-.html)
    Koeman didnot need anybody urging him to talk to Maz as he himself wanted him in the Orange team.

freisland repped this.
  19. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    If ge declines both calls ups he pretty much woild have made his choice (holland)

20. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Based on what? Your pique?

superdave repped this.
  21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Only if the US then drops interest in him.

I have been wrong before, but there's just not a lot of evidence that Dest is particularly close to figuring in the Oranje Sr. team plans any time soon.

If he declines both callups, he pretty much is making a choice to keep his options open. If he files the switch, then yeah, that's him making his choice. (Netherlands)

22. My guess is he has made a choice for the States and hopes Koeman will join the conversation with vd Looi to be swayed.
    In case Koeman does join the meeting, what does Dest expect to hear to be swayed?
    Dest after the PSV match confirmed the meeting in the newsconference in the Philips Stadium. He told his decision will be of a "gevoelsding", which means based on his feelings. So what can that feeling be?
    It could be to hear from the coach he's doing well in his development as a back.
    If the feeling is he gets a fair chance to make part of the Orange team, it's a no brainer. Every Orange eligible player has a fair chance. He just could switch without a talk as that's the case any way.
    If the feeling is to be wanted by the Orange team like by the USNMT, well....

wixson7 repped this.
  23. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well... he will certainly have a better shot to be starting for us. He might not even be the backup for the Orange in 2022. Hopefully he feels a little loyalty towards us as well.... but if he is getting promised a slot on the Orange roster then the decision might be a no-brainer for him. Kind of hope he takes another year or two to shine so he doesn't get the Orange job too soon.

24. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Logically, If he wants to play for USA he accepts a call this month, If he really wants to play for Holland then he immediately switches. If he wants to play for holland but isn't confident he will make it with them then he declines both and bides his time.

WheezingUSASupport, ChicagoVT and lmorin repped this.