No longer a Barça lounger: Sergiño Dest at PSV (olf FC Barcelona)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ChuckMe92, Oct 24, 2016.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Well, van aanholt has a goal already this season so if you really need an EPL starter he's not 30 quite yet...

I mean, you can line-up the competition however you want, but it will still take a really exceptional couple of seasons for Dest to break into the Dutch Sr. national team rotation after having not been in the U-little set-up. Being on Ajax helps allay tactical concerns, but the reality will remain - for at least a year or two - that Dest is a long shot for regular time for the Netherlands and an early fave for having a strong shot at the USMNT.

That's just facts.

2. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, and his play against Mexico really didn’t help him love up any depth charts. Love the kid, but he’s still got a long way to go. (Good news is that he’s getting a chance now, and hopefully he stays a starter at Ajax this season- that’s what he’s ready for, first team matches).

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yep. The conversation will be where is he in January/Feb. Still starting? Still in the 20? In the Ereste with the U21s..? or back and forth? Do they bring in competition if Maz or someone else does not step up. Anyone who thinks his future is set at this point has not followed a lot of Ajax football.

4. Dest has an advantage at Ajax, being ten Hag likes his play. That is his forwards going ability. To judge how much chance he makes to get into the CL matches in the upcoming group stage you have to look at the opponents players capability to penetrate into the back line. If these are dangerous in that way, does ten Hag dare to put Dest in there. Just look at the Sparta game and the Mexican to see how he got caught up the pitch while the ball moved atready to the spot that's supposed to be his area.

freisland repped this.
  5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    And to see how he plays 1v1. I also don't doubt the kid can learn - he's got very quick feet and is confident. But he does not yet body-up, seems not to have an instinct for the strong tackle. Even when he is in proper position defensively, he's not yet adept at 1v1 duels. He will learn, for sure, but how fast his learning curve will be remains to be seen. I hope it's steep and he locks down his position, but I'm not yet 100% convinced. Whether Ajax continues their strong start will play in the mix as well.

So far Vitesse is the only really decent team Ajax has faced in league - and Dest didn't play in that. PSV in a few weeks will be interesting.

That said, Dest has some serious skill and ten Haag could give him a long leash if he keeps looking dangerous going forward. I hope he does.

6. Young Ajax was very disappointing last season, swallowing 67 goals (and a glorious 2-6 defeat against my Aunties SC Cambuur) in Amsterdam, ending at spot 11, while the season before they crowned themself champion! In that 2018-2019 back line with Dest was also impressive Perr Schuurs, but that didnot keep the goals from coming in.

7. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am re-watching the Mex game and it re-affirms my impressions of Dest based on U20WC performances, UCL play-in and Ajax league games. He is good and, IMHO, likely to be excellent, possibly outstanding. As @Suyuntuy has suggested (see post 1325), he might be a good winger. That's my take, too. He has excellent technical skill. I think he defends well and seems ideal as an attack-minded outside back. Against MEX, he looked pretty good considering the all-too-frequent lack of cohesion among the defensive midfield and center backs. (Hopefully, that will end going forward with the addition of several missing players). One thing I felt was lacking against MEX and which will be true for his Ajax play for a while, too, is quality coordination with the left-sided attack. To me, at least in this game, he did not read/predict Pulisic's actions or timing well enough. That said, it appears to me that he is fully capable, speed-wise and technique-wise to greatly enhance the combined attack with CP. It also appears to me that he has a lot to learn (duh), but given his history this last 18 mo, he has a very steep development trajectory. I am very optimistic and really hope he is here to stay.

wsmaugham and Gacm32 repped this.
  8. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Well... my point exactly. First goal is Blind's fault for getting sucked in and way out of position leaving the flank totally open. Blind and Dumfries were the 2 lowest rated players on the field. They also took Dumfries off because they needed to put more quality on the field.

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Dest is not replacing Dumfries any time soon.

But Dest would make a good winger next to CP in the middle - or unbalanced.

10. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    superdave and kba4life1 repped this.
  11. As I post info in many threads, Spanish South American, Japanese, German, English ones I would have to spend twice, maybe even more, the time on bs I already do now.
    So I post the links and those interested can use google translate to read it.
    My aim primarily is to give access to info that's hard to find if you're not a native Dutch speaker and from time to time I do provide a partial translation when I have the time for it. But google translate is your friend if interested.
    Apart from that some moderators donot want whole articles being posted anyway.

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    And send your invoice to Bruce...

(Or, posters too lazy to use google translate could, you know, just ignore it. Please @feyenoordsoccerfan keep posting relevant links. Dutch is basically readable by any half-literate English speaker anyway. Throw in google and it's easy as pie.)

striker, Gacm32 and Grumpy in LA repped this.
  13. :ROFLMAO:
    Yup, Malen and Pröpper for more defensive quality:p You know damn well Koeman subbed him for attacking power. Dumfries about half the time on the pitch spent it as aw right winger.
    And no, Aké was subbed in much later to secure the 2-3 lead.

14. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    By "quality", I meant technical/attacking/passing.

I just disagree Denzel Dumfries is some sort of stalwart at RB. Dest is already better going forward. Dumfries better defending. Again there is a reason why he was the lowest rated player and once he left the match, the match totally changed. He isn't technical enough to start for the NT. Blind at least has great passing range/abilities.

15. Well, Dumfries has to up his game then, as Karsdorp, before he got injured the new right back in the Orange squad, is getting healthiers and more fit each match.

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    At this point Dumfries is pretty much "by definition" some sort of National team stalwart at RB - he started like 8 of the last 9 Dutch sr. internationals or something and has over a dozen youth caps. Him getting the early yank v. Germany could suggest things will change, and we can rate him however we rate him, but there's no way Dest is anywhere close to Dumfries at this point in the proceedings. The sr. team does not even have Dest on their radar.
    The Dutch sr. team FB depth is some variation of (in no particular order):
    Dumfries 23
    Tete 23
    van Aaholt 29
    Hateboer 25
    Blind 29 (Not a "natural" FB)
    Ake 24 (Not a "natural" FB)

And that's before you get to the kids... There's a lot of bodies in line before Dest.

17. Back to Dest.
    After this weekend national team duties, they start the league matches again with a home match against Heerenveen.
    I expect him to start as Mazraoui came back with an injury from Morocco and I donot expect ten Hag tp play him before the Lille match a few days later.
    So let's see how the attack of Heerenveen has been doing sofar:
    sc Heerenveen – Fortuna Sittard 1-1
    sc Heerenveen: Hahn 6, Floranus 6, Dresevic 6, Botman 7, Woudenberg 6, Kongolo 5,5 (69. Dreyer -), Faik 6, Bruijn 6 (63. Veerman -), Van Bergen 6,5, Odgaard 6, Ejuke 5,5 (85. Van der Heide -)

Heerenveen – FC Twente 0-0
    Heerenveen: Hahn 6; Floranus 6,5, Dresevic 6, Botman 6, Woudenberg 5 (46. Van Rhijn 6,5); Faik 5,5, Kongolo 5,5, Bruijn 6 (75. Ras -); Van Bergen 6,5, Odgaard 5,5, Ejuke 6 (Van der Heide -).

FC Emmen - sc Heerenveen 2-0
    sc Heerenveen: Hahn 7, Floranus 6, Dresevic 6, Botman 5,5, Woudenberg 6, Kongolo 5,5, Faik 5, Ejuke 5 (84. Van der Heide -), Van Bergen 6, Odgaard 4,5, Bruijn 5 (72. Ras -)

sc Heerenveen – Feyenoord 1-1

sc Heerenveen: Hahn 7; Floranus 6, Dresevic 7, Botman 7, Woudenberg 6; Kongolo 6, Faik 6,5, Bruijn 6 (78. Ras -); Ejuke 6 (78. Van der Heide -), Van Bergen 6,5, Odgaard 5

Heracles – Heerenveen 0-4
    Heerenveen: Hahn 6,5, Floranus 6, Dresevic 7, Botman 7, Woudenberg 6; Kongolo 6, Faik 6,5, Rienstra 7 (74. Akujobi -); Van Bergen 7,5, Odgaard 5 (89. Van der Heide -), Bruijn 7 (67. Ejuke -).

Van Bergen has been a constant threat at the right wing sofar this season.
    The rest not so much. Should be easy piecie for Dest.

18. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    What youth players are you talking about? I saw Zeefuik listed as projected U21 RB starter and Dest is clearly better than him. Starting for Ajax usually clears you of any youth Oranje player.

Where was Dest on the Ajax depth chart in June? Where is he now? Things are changing quickly for him. None of the guys you've listed have his potential. Much like if the US played Ream as LB, if the Dutch play Blind as LB, it would allow Dest to attack pretty freely because of the balance you have a CB at LB who will stay at home. I think he could fit into the XI now especially if Koeman value his attacking and passing. He'd also have VVD covering him.

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    PSV is the following game. That's his first real league test.

20. I think we/you should go to the Dutch forum if we want to discuss the Orange back options. Not of interest for the posters in here. Or in the Sergino Dest thread in the national team thread.

Winoman repped this.
  21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    The difference between "could fit" and "will be selected" is vast.

Who are the players who started for Ajax as a 19 year-old, that were never on Dutch youth teams, that became anything close to regular starters on the senior team? It's not a big crew.

A much bigger list is guys who started at Ajax, were on the Oranje U-set-up, got a few Sr. caps and were pushed off as they were not quite good enough or the coaching changed.

But we are just debating in the wind. *If* Dest files a switch, and keeps being a regular starter at Ajax, we'll have our answer.

My guess is he won't switch, and may not even end the year as a regular starter at Ajax. But we shall see. More likely he keeps starting at Ajax than makes the Dutch Sr. team any time soon.

22. Yeah, but this Heerenveen match is important as it's just a few days prior to the CL match. Ten Hag might put Dest in front of van Bergen to test him against a fast and technically astute player, who also is very keen to pull the trigger. This guy debuted on his 16th and immediately made it into the Team of the Week of several footies with an 8.

23. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Or you could just use the translate feature within your web browser. It literally asks if you want a translation every time you open an website that is not your "default" language.

munichfan9 and freisland repped this.
  24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Heerenveen just makes me sad these days...

25. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Bring it!

freisland repped this.