September 2019 U-20 camp. First U-20 camp of 2021 cycle.

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by bshredder, Aug 22, 2019.

1. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard the U.S. U-20 team will have its first camp of the 2021 cycle during the upcoming September 2019 international window.

It will be coached by Tab and will take place in Slovenia.

Obviously with the 2019 U-17s still going, it will be mostly for 2001-born players

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    That's interesting -- Ramos hasn't always started the new U20 cycle with a camp held the same year as the previous cycle's finals. (He didn't do one in 2018, for example.) One could easily come up with reasons why creating a fall 2019 callup opportunity for '01s (and maybe some younger players too) might make sense.

3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    The poor guy has to find something to fill up his time.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    There are USL, DA kind of kids that aren't part of the U17 group that can still form a nice team here. Think FCD....................with the likes of Tessman, Reynolds, Roberts and company. Just depends who's needed by the first team.

Plenty to work with in the pool to make this kind of camp worthwhile.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  5. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I agree. Based on Wicky's pronouncements very few players outside those who were either on the U17 WCQ roster or appeared in recent camps will have a realistic chance of making the U17 WC roster. However, there are some interesting '02s (and even 03s) floating around, so they'll be available for a U20 camp, assuming Tab rates them. Also, even if Tab is not able to get the 1st choice 01s, there are enough interesting names to call in.

TimB4Last and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It would be dumb to not include Gomez in this camp after his recent attendance at a Mexican YNT camp. Nyeman, Chifamba, and maybe one or two other 03's like Walls, Sarver, Garcia could also be included.

USSoccerNova, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tacoma Defiance has a few '01s that should be called up for this camp.

8. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    Kaya Ignacio '02 should be call if Wicky does not yet consider him for the U17 team

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  9. Soccerfan12435

Apr 22, 2019
    United States
    I am just curious, why should people who haven't been called into a U17 camp be called into the U20 camp? I must admit i am kind of confused as to why that would be the case

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Why are you confused?

11. Soccerfan12435

Apr 22, 2019
    United States
    why are 03's and 02's who haven't been invited to a 17's camp be taken to the 20's camp?

12. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I’ve been trying to think about the 2021 U20s and I think it will be pretty interesting. The talent on the wing is pretty huge, we had two wingers (KDF and Uly) play up a cycle this u20 cycle in the U20 WC, and I doubt KDF starts over Gio.

However Tab lines up this midfield someone is going to be mad that a player isn’t worked in. Both fullbacks positions are strong, striker is strong, goalie is strong. The centerbacks will definitely hold us back though, we need some random break through to save us or a 03 to play up, maybe both.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #13 ussoccer97531, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    CB should be so much less of a problem than its made out to be, but we've now seen our best CB's moved (for inexplicable reasons) to RB. The '01 year had good CB depth before Araujo and Akanyirige became too short for the brilliant youth/lower league coaches in this country to play CB. If you take away the two best players at a position, it's probably going to end up a bad crop at a position. I can already sense that we are going to have 5 good options at RB (2-3 of which should be playing CB), a few of the RB options will be left off the roster, and we'll have a non-prospect or two at CB playing key games that ruins the cycle.

I'd start to be worried about the CB's we are producing at all levels. If you look at the talent in the different years, 2001 (without Araujo and Akanyirige) is weak at CB, as is 2002. 2003 looks good, not great. 2004 is looking similar to 2003, as of now. None of these years have great depth at CB, and part of that is an existence that our best footballers on the backline must be a certain height to play CB.

Edit: I should mention that some want to move our best 2002 CB (Gray) to RB or CDM. Why? I don't know.

Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  14. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cuz all the good 02s will be at U17s camp, so the best players left over from the U20 contingent (which is 01-03) will include some of the 02s and 03s not included.

15. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    I think Araujo ends up something between a McKennie and Geoff Cameron, but not necessarily as good as either.

Still a strong prospect though and CB is probably his best position.

16. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couple of names I’ve heard are coming: Cam Harper, Cole Bassett, Johan Gomez. Charlie Kelman is invited but Southend haven’t yet agreed to his release

Other names I imagine are coming: Araujo, Uly, Ochoa, Vassilev, Booth, Hategan, Roberts, Reynolds, Hoppe, Hoffmann, Tessmann, de la Fuente

17. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In: Ochoa, Shakes, Sepulveda, Hoffmann, Tessmann, Kelman (released), De la Fuente*, Llanez* (if heathy), Haak, Hoppe, Bassett, Gomez, Roberts, Harper, Miljevic (invited, release TBD)

*only released for the first 4 days of camp

Galaxy denied Araujo’s release

18. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    What do you think about Bryan Reynolds for this team?

19. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    Any idea when the list will be released?

20. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it’s going to be tough for him

Pl@ymaker and Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  21. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stuart Ritchie is in

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uly is out for this camp. He’s slated to miss 3-4 weeks

23. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An effort was made for Balogun - yet again.

It was unsuccessful, but the two sides continue to be in contact.

Gacm32, wixson7, eliwood and 17 others repped this.
  24. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reportedly '01 LB/RB Kevin Bonilla of North Texas SC and FCD academy is in

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'm kinda surprised that Bonilla will be involved with this group and not Bryan Reynolds.......................

But hey, we can't have EVERY FCD player at a camp this week. How greedy do i want to be? It seems like we have three at the full USMNT camp, three at the U23 camp, three at the U20 camp, and two at the U17 camp. From what's being reported anyway.