September 2018 Friendlies (Venezuela - FL & Argentina - NJ)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by Furnaccio, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Cruzifero

Cruzifero Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Nu Jeru
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Who is the hypothetical change for Uribe in the depth chart, if say he gets injured/suspended going forward? Cantillo? Can Duque or Campuzano play this position? Serious question. This really worries me since we would be forced to play with double 5 or even triple 5 depending on the opponent, and there goes our attack/cohesion.

2. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Is there a way to play Cuadrado, James, Uribe,Cardona and Quintero at the same time and not get utterly killed on a counter attack? I am fine with a False #9 if we don’t have a striker. Tho really want Cucho to be given a shot.

Especially with Arias and Fabra being so attacking minded?

Furnaccio and krass repped this.
  3. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Cantillo and Campuzano can def play that position but hasn't really had any miles for the NT so we dont know what we can get from him. I can also see a player like Cardona play that linking role. Basically, an improved Mac10. Also, dont be shocked once Seba gets back to form in Mexico to see his skills back in the NT.

That being said, for WCQ there are going to be games where we WILL NEED a double 5 or at least a more reserved attack. 18 games and some games we just need to lock down, specially if we're stealing points as visitors.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  4. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    One more thing to mention. That "grass/turf" monstrosity field at Giants Stadium was truly pathetic, specially for 2 high caliber teams. The organizers should be ashamed of themselves as it could have caused some serious injury.

Azucarero, J-Mezzy and dapip repped this.
  5. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    35-36k in attendance last night. If the game was in Red Bull arena, it would have been a full house and then some, but for met life it was a very tame crowd.

MVP of the game were the two guys behind me where every sentence had one of the following words: “negrito” “tronca Bacca” “Marica” “hijueputa” or “juevon” or the millennial girl in front of me who took 30 selfies (of which I probably photo bombed 20 of them)

Ospina: made some great saves; hopefully this gets him into a good rhythm at Napoli going fwd

Davinson: had one mistake early in game, otherwise was very solid

Jeison: had a weak backward header that a good striker would have poached it in and showed a couple of unnecessary streaks of independence that would have left us skinned against a smarter team. feel like he hasn’t learned anything from his time away from the NT.

Deiver/Heiliburton: meh. Wasn’t that impressed. Is this really the best of the fullbacks we have in the Colombia league or just the Nacional bias

Barrios: Going to be a beast. Will be interesting to see him and Lerma rotate from time to time. Gotta tone the temper. It’s as if he has road rage from time to time. another referee would have carded him for sure.

GC: meh. Did nothing to impress today; would have rather see him play alongside uribe as a test. Just another example when the doble 5 doesn’t work. Definition of insanity....repeating the same thing and expecting a new result.

Uribe: a breath of fresh air. This guy gets it and is all about the b2b game. He wants the ball and he goes to the action. Doesn’t wait for the action to come to him. Will be interesting to see him, Quintero and James at the same time...oh wait that was the Poland game we won 3-0. We need Uribe to be a 90 minute player and find someone similar to provide cover from time to time.

Quintero: watching him in person is a delight. You can really appreciate what he has to offer. Probably got the 2nd loudest ovation when he was subbed off.

Cuadrado: For all the criticisms we have, we have to keep in mind that everyone on the pitch views JC11 as an on field general. They want to give him the ball and often times it is in tough situations. He draws fouls and had some of good moments of creating chances. He’s all over the field too playing defense. While I get the super sub suggestions, he’s doing a lot to ruin the rhythm of opposing team.

Muriel: disappointed today. Had a nice shot on goal at start of second half but did little otherwise. Whatever they are telling our 2nd strikers to do...or not do, it isn’t working. Didn’t see any fight in a player who has been shortchanged with playing time and opportunities during the 14 and 18 cycles. I expected more and felt let down.

Falcao: quiet day. Often times saw him deeper than Muriel. I kinda thought falcao was more of the 2nd Striker. Had a nice shot on goal just outside the 18 that led to a corner. He leaves everything out on the pitch. Want to see him partner up with Borja next month for a half.

Bacca: - - - -

Villa: hope to see more of him. Today would have been good to see him get 30+ minutes especially considering it was against Argentina.

Benedetti/Diaz: hope to see more of them. Young kids full of ambition that want the ball. October friendlies against USA and Costa Rica will be good for their confidence

Overall: our attack was very predictable - pass the ball to cuadrado, have him do some dirty work, lay the ball off to deiver....make a desperate cross to nobody within 5-10 meters.

It wasn’t until Uribe came on where we started to see some variety in our attack. Other than Quintero and sometimes cuadrado, everyone is always passing the ball to where the player is or a half step behind where the player is.

Players need to be constantly moving and creating space. The way we move the ball makes it easy for opposing teams to set up on defense. We catch ourselves flat footed more often than we catch the opposition.

We have a tendency these days to let opposing teams control the game from the outset; it’s no wonder why so many games are 1-0 or our goal output is minimal.

In any case, I’ll be buying a ticket for the Costa Rica game :)

IMG_4307.jpg

6. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You’re basically suggesting a 451; no barrios or Lerma as our DM.

Uribe-Cardona would have to be the CMs (doble ocho?); Cardona’s temper worries me in this role since it would require a bit of scrappiness and lots of ground to cover as both would be in a b2b role of sorts

If we can try for the first time a triple 5 in a WC knockout game, there’s no reason why we should try this attack focused lineup you suggest. I’m all for it.

7. krass

krass Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    -------------X
    JCG-----X-----X-----X
    ---------Uribe----X
    Cardona--JFQ---James
    --------------X

8. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I just saw this online. OMG

I don’t know what’s worse.....Columbia or Kolombia!!!

IMG_4359.JPG

Froboy69 and dapip repped this.
  9. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Chibchombia

Azucarero, dapip and Furnaccio repped this.
  10. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #460 Baal88, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    Para mí es James. El va a tener que echarse esa responsabilidad encima tarde o temprano. No que sea el super recuperador porque eso no es lo que nos falta, sino recibir bien abajo posicionalmente y lanzar el contragolpe. Sobre todo porque tenemos muy buenos extremos que podrían aprovechar su precisión.

Azucarero, pepinointer and J-Mezzy repped this.
  11. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    well I think that ad is in a different language...

12. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Nos quedamos sin velocidad por las bandas..........Entre Quintero y Cardona sacrificaria a alaguno por villa o cuadrado (en buen nivel)

J-Mezzy repped this.
  13. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Indonesian,.....

In spanish we called a lot of countries by a different name and people from there are not crying and asking respect.

KOLOMBIA is ok

pibe10, Doogs and J-Mezzy repped this.
  14. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Must be. Got a good laugh / cringe from it.

15. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Yeah this is the option to get them all on the field, its possible if we are going all out attack but really I think Cardona is the odd man out here, all 3 like to cut cut inside so it just takes away all the space Villa making runs and pulling defenders wide maximizes players like Cardona/JFQ/James. James also can play in Uribes spot and has for Bayern, so you could hypothetically play JFQ/Cardona/James but Uribe would be the odd man out.

Either way those 3 give us options, would love to see Cucho playing as a 9.

-----------Cucho
    ---James---JFQ---Villa/Muriel
    --------------------Uribe
    -------------Barrios
    Fabra----Mina---Sanchez--JCQ

With Fabra hurt I wonder if Cuadrado or Arias could play there. Cantillo/Campuzano should be given a look fo rate Uribe roll, we need depth there, but again James can play there if we are going all out attack with JFQ/Cardona providing the second level creativity.

16. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Arias >>>>>>>>>>>>> Cuadrado to me at least

I also don’t like Barrios. Fine ahead of Carlos Sanchez fk yes but give Cuellar a shot next to Uribe same as Lerma. Barrios hot headed ness scares me he is the black Bedoya. In past 3 NT games. A head butt and then he basically punched someone who he dropped. With Var fk tards like him need to keep their cool.

17. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    No red cards for Barrios that i remember......

Cuellar isnt close a good as him recovering and protecting the ball...

is absurd how barrios is able to control every attack of the opppnent... .

Argies were tackling before and he is young

J-Mezzy repped this.
  18. SoyDelMustang

SoyDelMustang Member+

Dec 24, 2007
    Flushing,Queens
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I saw why Barrios got so mad. Argue left his studs on Barrios’ face. I would’ve been livid as well but he’s still young and he’ll learn from it. You’re trippin if you don’t like Barrios. He’s good on the ball, passing is decent and covers so much ground he’s like a little Tasmanian devil out there. Love him and he still has room to improve.

jay luis and J-Mezzy repped this.
  19. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yes, I like Barrios he is a godsend compared to Carlos Sanchez

But Lerma and Cuellar need to be given a fair shot with Uribe not Barrios next to them.

20. SoyDelMustang

SoyDelMustang Member+

Dec 24, 2007
    Flushing,Queens
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He was getting so much praise from the Argie commentators on Bein as well. So was JFQ. Wish Quinterito would hire a personal fitness coach.

crzdcolombian repped this.
  21. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Ughh, crzd finally gets rid of Roca and now we have to hear about his replacement in Barrios for about 8 years (two WCQ cycles as he's young) why he sucks and why he should never play.

Folks here are trying to dig real deep to find 3-4 players at the same position. All I want is to crawl before we run.
    1. Find a DT with experience and short, midterm and long term plan for the team
    2. Have the team playing along a common system that works on both ends of the field.
    3. Build the best solid 11 on the field.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  22. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    He plays in the Argentine Superliga. You couldnt have a more intensely focused, physical type of league that requires you to be in the best shape. Look at what they've done with Cardona! I actually see him hustling, running, etc. If you're looking for a speedy guy that is just constantly running, that's not a gym thing, that's just not JFQ. Personally, I always tell my kids, you'll never outrun the ball, so raise up your soccer IQ and anticipate as best as possible. Bottomline is JFQ covers more field with his passing and dribbling than any other player on our field.

23. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Lerma doesn't play the same position as Barrios really, Barrios is a complete stay at home 6 best suited in a 3 man midfield, Lerma hasn't been playing in that system, he's been playing in a double pivot and is better suited as one of two centrally in a 2 man central midfield and positionally doesn't have to be as anchored.

Barrios is in the mold of a Busquets, fit for shielding and breaking up play and getting the ball from CB's and moving the ball around in a possession based system.

We can also use Lerma there but Barrios is still just getting used to playing for us and has already had some big performances, he won the spot in the World Cup for me and its clear cut imo.

24. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    And he has been hustling and working a lot more then he ever has with River over this run. His engine naturally isn't as high as others but if he keeps working and doing what he's doing I think he'll be fine. If he stays healthy and on an extended run we'll get to see what he looks like, haven't had that from him since I've been following him really.

kromekote repped this.
  25. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Barrios
    Mina
    Uribe