September 2018 Friendlies: Brazil & Mexico

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Eleven Bravo, Jun 22, 2018.

1. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like we are going to play with a single forward.

2. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #127 soccerusa517, Sep 2, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    No Cannon, Sabbi, Amon, Gall, or Canouse.

Pulisic and Sargent not called.

edited

Winoman and UniversalAdvice repped this.
  3. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nova
    DY/Moore Miazga/Parker Brooks/CCV Robinson/Lichaj
    Trapp Adams

Arriola /Lleget McKinnie Weah/Green

Nova

I would like to see these first guys start. I have their replacements next to. them. I'm not sold on Trapp, but I know he will start. I think McK and Adams have to know each other, on field, because I see them as our middle going forward. So, both should go 90. Let's have fun!!

4. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gall is on the ascent and I think he broke the int'l threshold with that recent brace but he's still a debatable inclusion.

Hyndman hasn't really earned anything for club and country. He's even in worse position than he was 2 years ago with Rangers. Hibs are a random club. Fans are more intrigued with the idea of him at this point.

5. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're talking all small sample and borderline guys. Lima was probably the biggest snub. He's put in a year and a half of quality. 2nd I'd say was Gall, for extended form, and the pool is so poor in that position. Or a Jesse Gonzalez under similar reasoning. Actually may have a better shout than Gall because he's been in the conversation for a while.

6. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Green and Weah are listed as midfielders but can play forward.

Winoman repped this.
  7. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    This actually pretty close to our best fist team IMO.

Think you'd have Bradley for Trapp, Pulisic for Roldan, and Jozy for either wood or Novakovich.

This roster:

GK - Steffen
    RB - Yedlin
    LB - Robinson
    CB - Miazga
    CB - Brooks
    DM - Trapp
    CM - Adams
    CM - McKennie
    W-AT - Weah
    W-AT - lletget
    ST - Zardes

Full XI
    GK - Steffen
    RB - Yedlin
    LB - Robinson
    CB - Miazga
    CB - Brooks
    CM - Adams
    CM - McKennie
    ACM - Pulisic
    LW - Weah
    RW - Lletget
    ST - Jozy

8. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lletget looked like a contributor before injury. Roldan has yet to impress while in a US shirt.

Really thought Gall would be called, same with Canouse.

More pressing matters... need a new coach already.

LouisZ repped this.
  9. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    Arriola as well, if you're talking winger in a 3-man front.

10. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roldan has had 2 caps. He was solid in the minimalist role he was advised to play around a mess of a cb and cm pairing v. Martinique. The 2nd match was out of season, out of position, and in a bad press tactic against a savvy countering team. Surrounding he was also in the worst form of his career, after when he was established in Seattle 3 seasons ago. Now is the time to find out if he can play at this level. He needs to start against Mexico, and at center mid or wing-back. Brasil would be a tall ask by itself for evaluation. IMO assessing his play and possible providing a conduit to Europe before meaningful matches is the top priority for this camp.

11. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    True but I'm not sure Sarachan understands the concept of a three man front.

12. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...s-to-know-mnt-september-kickoff-series-roster

GOALKEEPERS (3): Alex Bono (Toronto FC/CAN; 1/0), Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge/BEL; 2/0), Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew SC; 3/0)

DEFENDERS (9): John Brooks (Wolfsburg/GER; 33/3), Cameron Carter-Vickers (Swansea City/WAL; 4/0), Eric Lichaj (Hull City/ENG; 15/1), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls), Matt Miazga (Nantes/FRA; 7/1), Shaq Moore (Reus Deportiu/ESP; 2/0), Tim Parker (New York Red Bulls; 2/0), Antonee Robinson (Wigan Athletic/ENG; 2/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United/ENG; 52/0)

MIDFIELDERS (9): Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids; 17/1), Tyler Adams (New York Red Bulls; 5/0), Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 16/2), Julian Green (Greuther Fürth/GER; 10/4), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 3/1), Weston McKennie (Schalke/GER; 4/1), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 3/0), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 6/0), Tim Weah (Paris Saint-Germain; 3/1)

FORWARDS (3): Andrija Novakovich (Fortuna Sittard/NED; 2/0), Bobby Wood (Hannover 96/GER; 39/12), Gyasi Zardes (37/6; Columbus Crew SC)

Winoman repped this.
  13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Thats pretty close to what you'd expect from the roster. The only thing I expected different was I expected some newer faces in attacking midfield, like Gall, Sabbi, Mueller. Its nice to see Lletget back in AM. We really have a lack of talent there, and this roster doesn't really help in that regard.

Why are we calling Carter-Vickers and Moore up? We are doing them a disservice to fly them across the Atlantic for two friendlies when they need to worry about gaining a starting place at their club teams. We did EPB a huge favor in this regard. Weah has no business being there. He's not even made the bench for PSG the last two weeks. This is the type of decision that gives the NT a bad name. Don't call up reserve players.

I don't understand the keeper call ups either, unless Steffen is getting both games. Why can in Horvath? He doesn't play for his club team, so he shouldn't be playing in these games. If he's only the third keeper here, why are you flying him across the Atlantic for that role? There's plenty of MLS keepers who could take that role. Also, Hamid should definitely be there to get the other game that Steffen doesn't get.

14. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    I'd start Steffen both games, in my mind he's the clear cut #1 right now. These two games will be an important test for him.

laxcoach and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm not against this. I might give Bono a half against Brazil, but I wouldn't be sure about that either.

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    vs. Brazil:

Steffen
    Adams-Miazga-Long-Robinson
    Trapp
    McKennie-Roldan
    Lletget
    Novakovich-Zardes

vs. Mexico:

Steffen
    Yedlin-Parker-Brooks-Robinson
    Trapp
    McKennie-Adams
    Acosta
    Novakovich-Wood

Shouldn't play: Horvath, Green, Weah
    Potential sub appearances: Bono, Moore, Lichaj, Arriola

17. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Weah will play and he will score...

18. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're saying that despite PSG playing only 5 games so far (Super Cup and 4 league games) and Weah having gotten mins in 3 of them as well as scoring twice, he isn't good enough for this roster because he hasn't played the last two games?

This asinine POV is the one of the reasons no one takes your comments seriously.

jjmack repped this.
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    How many of those matches was everyone available? Why do you feel the need to fool people about his place? I wish Tuchel would put him in front of players like Nkunku, Diaby, Choupo-Moting, but he's not going to yet. Weah is not a regular member of the match day squad. He's on the fringe of the first team. I tend to not think those players belong on the NT. Minnow countries are the ones who include those players in their NT.

I also never said Weah isn't good enough for this roster. You must've not read my post. It was very clear in what I said. You should read clearly what I said instead of reacting in rage to something I didn't say.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  20. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nova, Wood and Zardes wouldn't sniff PSG's bench.

Why are they deserving of getting called in?

USSoccerNova and Patrick167 repped this.
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I hope you aren't being serious. You can't compare every player's environment 1v1, and decide the better environment determines who should and shouldn't get NT call ups.

Also, who said any of those guys were better than Weah? You seem to be purposely misinterpreting what I've said. Why is that?

22. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weah and Green can both play up top. Though Wood & Zardes are clearly #9s.

23. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has Acosta been playing FB with Colorado? If so I might give him LB to give us our best FK taker.

-------------------Steffen--------------
    Yedlin--Miazga--Brooks--Robinson
    -------------------Trapp---------------
    ------Adams------McKennie----
    Lletget-------Wood-------Weah

451/433.

24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    no

25. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Romain Gall for Julian Green and I’m good. Amon’s time is coming. Sabbi isn’t quite there yet.

Good to see some young MLS stability with Trapp, Roldan, Arriola, Acosta, Lletget back now. Adams. We are going to need some of those guys to come good.

Glad no Bradley, glad no Altidore. I’m fine with the forwards if you include Weah.

napper repped this.