September 2018 Friendlies: Brazil & Mexico

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Eleven Bravo, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Not playing Wood in September is not casting him aside. He'll get games in November in Europe. Playing Wood in September would mean casting somebody else aside anyway, using your logic, right?

2. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. My understanding of your position on Wood was that you'd 'seen enough'. As in forgettaboutit. My position is he was in a crap situation and he still quite possibly is in our top 2-3. We just don't know.

3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Ah,man, how do we dream of winning it all with Wood as our Manduzik, our Mbpappe, our Lukaku……..can you please let me sleep a little more and dream or are you going to insist I watch Wood against Brazil after watching him against every dog in Concacaf?

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately for us Wood
    doesn't need to better than those players he only needs to be better than our other forwards. He has been good at times and at least puts forth some defensive effort but maybe some of the young players can be a step up.

FeedhimtothepigsArold and ceezmad repped this.
  5. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love a for sure striker and maybe in a few years we'll have Sargent, Weah and who knows.

But today, we have Wood. That can't be all that bad.

He was dinged all year and stuck in Hamburg purgatory. I'll give him a couple months this season to see if he's a callup or not.

Patrick167 repped this.
  6. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
  7. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Welcome home, Jonathan Gonzalez...

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't look like a B team.

9. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think they are looking at 2022 that is why no Vela, Chicharito and Guardado. But then again, Tuca Ferreti is just there for these games, so who knows. Vela for sure can be there for 2022, the other two, nope.

While Brazil and Mexico have their list ready where is ours? Or it already came out and I wasn't aware of it? I saw Sargent won't be coming to these friendlies and Bradley might for.... reasons.

Excellency repped this.
  10. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They never put out our list until a few days prior to the camp starting. IDK if it's that they don't want to give teams extra days to scout our players or they are just lazy but we normally see the club teams make mention of their call up before the USSF does.

11. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    They are friendly games. I don't see what they would have to scout. Plus, I think teams like Mexico and Brazil will be more concerned about their team working as a team since they have new players and such little time to train together.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  12. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    That's basically it. Trying to apply the A/B Squad concept right now doesn't work, because all teams will be trying to build their A squads for the foreseeable future. If people insist, any MX squad without Hector Herrera and Nestor Araujo (2 of our captains for 2022 IMO) isn't complete. This is an experimental squad, as will be the USA one.

13. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sargent to play with the first team during friendlies over the international break for Bremen, adds a little more clarification as to why he was not brought in.

Also a decent read of an interview with Sarachan to kind of see where his head is in regards to players: https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/08/31/dave-sarachan-usa-roster-friendlies-brazil-mexico-pulisic

He does have some comments about Pulisic not having desire and hunger, which is something he said should be evident every time a player is called in, even if he is coming off a long season or whatever.

Goes into a tangent about bringing in the Vets slowly towards competitive games while not trying to upset the team chemistry and leadership that is building.

Sombrerito repped this.
  14. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    Well I don’t think that’s up to Sarachan to say about if/when the vets will be back. He is only the interim coach I hope the hired coach has other ideas. Like sitting guys like Bradley at home

15. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I care about sarachans thoughts on building a team about as much as I would yet another "in depth" article on the REAL reason(s) we didn't qualify last year.
    He's the last bag to throw in the dumpster fire that is us soccer, that they've managed to keep burning for a year and a half by the time there's any chance at hiring a coach.
    His thoughts on the future couldn't interest me less.

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    When is the roster going to be announced?

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    My roster. Trying to balance keeping players with their club teams who play in Europe and calling a competitive squad.

GK: Steffen, Hamid, Bono
    DF: Lima, Yedlin, Brooks, EPB, Long, Glad, Parker, A. Robinson
    MF: Trapp, Canouse, K. Acosta, Roldan, McKennie, Gall, Mueller, Arriola
    FW: Agudelo, Sabbi, Novakovich, Ramirez

Brazil Match:

Hamid
    Lima-Parker-Glad-Robinson
    Canouse
    Acosta-Roldan
    Arriola-Novakovich-Mueller

Mexico Match:

Steffen
    Yedlin-EPB-Brooks-Robinson
    Gall-Trapp-McKennie-Sabbi
    Agudelo-Ramirez

18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    They say Sunday.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  20. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USSoccerNova and Winoman repped this.
  21. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #121 thedukeofsoccer, Sep 2, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    Roster reveal on FS1 coming up (at the last possible moment, as usual). Will update post with the results when available.

Goalkeepers: Alex Bono (Toronto FC), Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge), Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew)

Defenders: John Brooks (VfL Wolfsburg), Cameron Carter-Vickers (Swansea City), Eric Lichaj (Hull City), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls), Matt Miazga (Nantes), Shaquell Moore (Reus Deportiu), Tim Parker (New York Red Bulls), Antonee Robinson (Wigan Athletic), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United)

Midfielders: Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids), Tyler Adams (New York Red Bulls), Paul Arriola (D.C. United), Julian Green (Greuther Fürth), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy), Weston McKennie (Schalke 04), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew), Tim Weah (Paris Saint-Germain)

Forwards: Andrija Novakovich (Fotuna Sittard), Bobby Wood (Hannover 96), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew)

Winoman repped this.
  22. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow so only 3 forwards huh?

jnielsen repped this.
  23. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a decent selection. My significant gripes are about Shaq Moore over Nick Lima or Reggie Cannon, and the #2 keeper not being someone with upside and in need of a European move like Jesse Gonzalez.

Other than that, I would have selected a Christian Ramirez over Gyasi Zardes, EPB as a cdm, a higher upside Mueller over Arriola, etc. But those are more quibbles. I understand those decisions and would more constitute "favorites" over some inherent mistake like the others.

Not going to agree with every selection a manager makes. I think there's sufficient youth and team needs filled, unlike sometimes with other managers in the past. To wit, Sarachan has been a perfectly fine caretaker, imo.

I don't think we have quality depth at the position that's knocking on the door. Julian Green can double as a 4th fw. I think Sapong and Dwyer have already proven they can do a job for us in a pinch if necessary.

UniversalAdvice and largegarlic repped this.
  24. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I'm pretty OK with the roster. I probably would have picked Dwyer over Zardes, one of the young MLS RBs over Moore, and a GK who's actually playing over Horvath, but that's about it.

25. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Gall not get an international break? Would like to see him. Also continue to be perplexed as to why we just let Hyndmann rot.

jnielsen and jjmack repped this.