September 2018 Friendlies: Brazil & Mexico

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Eleven Bravo, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 Eleven Bravo, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    USMNT play their first games post WC 2018 against Brazil in New Jersey on September 7, and against Mexico in Tennessee on September 11. This start the official beginning of a new era after perhaps the biggest failure in USMNT history. The good news is there is reason to hope with this new generation. Also, will this be the first game with the new coach?

Footsatt and Winoman repped this.
  2. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow I never knew we were going back in time :p

Winoman and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  3. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get ready, t's gonna be wild.

4. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did these get confirmed? Or just rumors? FIFA dates?

5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My roster...

Goalkeepers: Zack Steffen, Alex Bono, Jesse Gonzalez

Right Backs: DeAndre Yedlin, Shaquell Moore

Center Backs: John Brooks, Matt Miazga, Eric Palmer-Brown, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Tim Parker

Left Backs: Antonee Robinson, Danilo Acosta

Midfielders: Weston McKennie, Tyler Adams, Keaton Parks, Darlington Nagbe, Wil Trapp, Kellyn Acosta

Attackers: Christian Pulisic, Tim Weah, Kenny Saief, Paul Arriola, Rubio Rubin, Lynden Gooch

Forwards: Julian Green, Andrija Novakovich, Josh Sargent, Bobby Wood

*Jordan Siebatcheu is included if he accepts call up over Gooch.

Vs Brazil
    ———Wood—Weah—————
    —————Pulisic———————
    ——McKennie—Adams—————
    Robinson—————————Yedlin
    ——Parker—Brooks—Miazga——
    ——————Steffen——————

Bench: Bono, Moore, Palmer-Brown, Parks, Arriola, Green, Novakovich

Vs Mexico
    ————Sargent————
    Pulisic———————Weah
    ——McKennie—Adams——
    ————-Trapp—————-
    Robinson——————Yedlin
    ———CCV——Miazg———-
    —————Steffen—————

Bench: Gonzalez, EPB, Moore, Parks, Saief, Green, Novakovich

Winoman and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  6. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could live with that roster and that team would be competitive with both opponents if we get a real coach.

Winoman and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  7. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The start of another failed qualification campaign. How will USSF bungle this cycle? Stay tuned!

jjmack repped this.
  8. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    It had damned well better be

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I would not call in any European based players. Their seasons are just starting. They need to worry about playing games for their club team, not NT games 4+ years from the next WC. These two games will be located in the USA, so they'll have a long trip back to Europe afterwards, which could cause them to lose a game they'd might've otherwise played in.

I don't really care about which MLS teams need their players. If they wanted to be in good with the NT, they could start implementing some policies that get young Americans on the field. They could also stop trying to sign them to big extensions when they are ready to go to Europe. I wouldn't call in any U-20 players. If there's a U-20 camp at this time, they should be there.

23 man roster

GK: Steffen, Bono, Gonzalez
    DF: Lima, Cannon, Glad, Parker, Long, Trusty, Acosta, Vincent
    MF: Trapp, Roldan, Acosta, Davis, Delgado, Mueller, Arriola, Rubin, Saucedo
    FW: Agudelo, Dwyer, Ramirez

Steffen
    Lima-Parker-Glad-Acosta
    Trapp
    Roldan-Delgado
    Mueller-Agudelo-Rubin

That team would get destroyed by Mexico and Brazil, but I'd send them out there. It'll test out some MLS players, and these friendlies are not well timed for our European based players.

ifsteve repped this.
  10. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that's not a competitive lineup. Understand the Euro players starting up and all but that just says we have no depth to back them up. Scary stuff. Don't care who the new coach is by then, he's going to get lambasted.

jjmack repped this.
  11. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if we dont have a new coach by then, let’s please not allow Sarachan to coach. Just let Big Soccer pick the roster and have the players elect a coach in camp.

ttrevett repped this.
  12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we get a do over then let's start the after 2014 WC cycle with a new coach from the start! remember players don't let your old self see your future self or it ruins the space time continuum or some such.

Suyuntuy, Winoman and ttrevett repped this.
  13. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    C'mon Midwest for one of the October friendlies.

14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Wood?

15. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I agree with basic thrust of your post but I'm thinking Miazga and CCV mite be fine with the callup and give us some continuity with Parker thrown in. The midfield will get a real opportunity to see what they can do. I disagree with your forward line tho. I'd go with Sargent, Pulisic, Weah or 2 of the 3, anyway.

-------------------Weah-------Pulisic*
    ---Adams-----Roldan---Delgado----lletget
    --------------------------trapp
    -----------parker------CCV-----Miazga

Pulisic would be called up if he isn't starting/playing for new coach who will be getting ready for CL as well. I don't doubt Wes should stay at club. Schalke will have work to do with goretzka and meyer gone in the summer window.

16. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I understand, but I think the time for this thinking is over. These game are less than a year from the Gold Cup. Thinking we have a 4 year luxury to get ready for the World Cup led to the complacency that has us sitting out this Summer. The 2015 GC was meaningless and the fact we played so poorly was ok and lets let JK continue, was the start of the mistake. Even WCQ was generally viewed by Sunil, Bruce, and Jurgen as tune ups for the WC. Yes, the GC every two years is dopey and one should be dropped; but it is our next major tournament and it is time to take things seriously all the time.

Our players have all Summer to establish themselves at their clubs; thanks to our failure. A week in September will not matter and I think playing internationally, even with the USA, gives a player cache that helps them at the club level. In a recent interview, Parker said getting that taste instantly made him a better player and has made him strive to get better. NYRB were one of the few MLS teams to release important players for the recent, "meaningless" friendlies. I tend to think NYRB knows what they are doing when it comes to player development.

I think Schalke and Dortmund also know what they are doing and will probably want McKennie and Pulisic playing. If they don't, and we don't have a coach, let them stay but this is the last window we do that. In general, I think it is better for the USMNT program and the players to always call in our best. I think January camp is basically detrimental as it gives certain MLS players the idea they have made it. Doing January camp in September really seems counter-productive.

17. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    This is a FIFA window, we could call in our best 25.

GKs: Turner, Steffan, Hamid
    CBs: Parker, Miazga, CCV, EPB, Brooks
    FBs: Robinson, D. Acosta, Yedlin, Moore, Lichaj
    Mids: McKennie, Adams, Trapp, Green, Saief, Durkin, Delgado
    FWs: Pulisic, Wood, Altidore, Sargent, Weah, Novocavich

18. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way I'm calling in the Euros.

This is just a money grab by the cartel.

Early season club success is far more important.

ifsteve repped this.
  19. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Put a God damn friendly in Wisconsin for the first time in 28 fricking years how bout it. They keep cycling back to the same places and it's not like they've worked out that great. Could get some real buzz in new places. The midwest is beautiful in September too. Pretty perfect footy weather.

20. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree w/ the sentiment we can't worry about club interests in a FIFA window and we have to use every camp as a fact-finding mission for a while. We are very behind in integration. But to wit I don't think I'd even make this roster as vet-centric. We made some vets last camp, and they can be used to usher in the next group.

GK's: Steffen, JeGo, Bono

Backs: Robinson, Lima, Glad, Parker, Miazga, Zimmerman, Adams, Lichaj

Mids: Pulisic, Saief, Mueller, Weah, Lletget, Parks, McKennie, Roldan, EPB, Delgado

FW's: Sargent, Green, Ramirez, Novakovich

bold are starters v. Mexico

21. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    took them 3 decades to get back to StL and it sold out a game against a minnow, so I'm sure they could make it happen at Miller Park.

FWIW I'd put money down that Minnesota gets AT LEAST one qualifier this cycle.

22. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I'm a proponent of this, but if they returned to St. Louis and brought a loseable competitive match or name friendly opponent they could even charge a pretty penny per ticket and still get a turnout.

Don't get USS'/SUM's practical aversion to St. Louis or the midwest. St Louis is a big soccer city even. Should get an MLS team. Wisconsin is not a good soccer state, but would support a USL team enough, and the US in a match every 5-10 years.

They don't have imagination? They think associating with the coasts gives them more cache?

jnielsen repped this.
  23. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Well my tickets for the St. Louis qualifier in 2015 weren't cheap, and the stadium was sold out against St. Vincent... not exactly a big draw opponent otherwise.

The main reason they didn't go to StL for so long was venue. Once Busch stadium decided to host some club friendlies, US Soccer saw the potential. Miller park should do the same.

24. False9

False9 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 31, 2018
    In a country of 320 million people and hundreds of adequate stadiums, they shouldn't be playing any matches in baseball parks.

25. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'm gonna be honest though, the atmosphere and view from most of the stadium at Busch was really good.

I'm of the opinion that local fans should be able to see their national team play in their home city regardless of what structures the local sports owner billionaire does or doesn't decide to build with public funds.

I'll take Busch over some of the other gimmicky venues that have been hosting soccer matches (looking your way, Michigan Stadium).