SEPP RESIGNS!!!!

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Sport Billy, Jun 2, 2015.

1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    between December 2015 to March 2016.

2. CA_eagles

CA_eagles Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Austin
    Club:
    Club América
    athletics68 and JeremyEritrea repped this.
  3. CA_eagles

CA_eagles Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Austin
    Club:
    Club América
    Dr. Gamera and goussoccer repped this.
  4. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Thanks an interesting read -- certainly points to significant issues over a long period of time and, assuming the FBI has the details to what Blazer refers to in it -- there are more shoes to drop on this one. The key words:
    Among other things, I agreed with other persons in or around 1992 to facilitate the acceptance of a bribe in conj unction with the selection of the host nation for the 1998 World Cup. Beginning in or about 1993 and continuing through the early 2000s, I and others agreed to accept bribes and kickbacks in conj unction with the broadcast and other rights to the 1996, '1998, 2000, 2002, and 2003 Gold Cups. Beginning in or around 2004 and continuing through 2011 , I and others on the FIFA executive committee agreed to accept bribes in conjunction with the selection of South Africa as the host nation for the 2010 World Cup
    One tumbled and it was only a matter of time for the rest of the house of cards to fall.

5. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    #305 goussoccer, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    Here, by the way, is a link to the full FBI document: http://www.justice.gov/opa/file/450211/download

25 unnamed co-conspirators in addition to those arrested or for whom warrants were served. Some of those 25 co-conspirators are Chuck Blazer and the other guys who have already talked. Reading it now, not through it....just wanted to clarify the number '25'. It seems to me that co-conspirator #1 is Blazer.

6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The judge asked how to say "FIFA."

Dr. Gamera and HomietheClown repped this.
  7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So there's 10 others out there besides Blazer and the 14 already indicted correct? Hopefully one of them is ole Seppy himself.

8. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

'MURICA!!!

Excape Goat repped this.
  9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    At least we know the judge was truly impartial.
    Probably did not even know what soccer was before this case. :p

Dr. Gamera and Distorted Humor repped this.
  10. LastBoyscout

LastBoyscout Member+

Mar 6, 2013
    Maybe, and this is only a guess mind you, is that the actual bribery and corruption the FBI is going after happend on US soil and through the US banking system?

11. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    This is all coming from Blazer. This is why you are seeing arrests that has links through him.

Hexa repped this.
  12. LastBoyscout

LastBoyscout Member+

Mar 6, 2013
    Yeah, taking the world cup away from a middle eastern country and giving it to the US is going to blow over well. :D

13. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Why yes, review the Blazer guilty plead.

14. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    I am starting to get worried again....I don't believe Blatter ever used the word 'resign' in his 'resignation speech'....maybe this is his idea of laying low a bit, making the Europeans forget their idea of an 'alternative world championships' (apparently now off the table for discussion in Berlin on Friday)...Blatter will delay the next conference as late as he can and meanwhile be pulling the strings at FIFA for months yet, so...business as usual. Of course the FIFA employee's gave him a '10 minute standing ovation'....if you didn't stand and clap, chances are you wouldn't be working at FIFA 5 minutes after the applause stopped....

Blatter has proved to be a slippery, elusive dictator for going on two decades....he ain't leaving yet....

15. Outburstz

Outburstz Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The same USA that's taking down corrupt bodies at Fifa I think so

HomietheClown repped this.
  16. LastBoyscout

LastBoyscout Member+

Mar 6, 2013
    Even if Qatar is going to be stripped of the WC I highly doubt it is going to end up at the US, just wouldn't look right. Also Qatar has bought a lot of good will with investing heavily in several European top clubs which certainly motivates some federations to keep the Qatar thing going. Maybe they have done things like that in other confederations as well? How is qatari investments in other leagues around the world? Would be interesting to know.

17. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Now this is finally an argument that is logically sound, and well reasoned. If you've seen Taibbi's articles regarding the execrable decision of Holder justifying Corporate Fraud, and the criminal actions of every last one of our banks (and pretty much everyone else's, you need to check out what the Brit and Deutchebank's did as well, and the Libor scandal which pretty much involved everyone) on the soundless premise that the corporations are responsible for ten's of thousands of jobs, and hurting the company through criminal trials, instead of fines, would actually cause more damage than help, you should be fully aware of how loathesome those thieves are, and how despicable Holder is, particularly considering the main fall guy for that kind of reasoning are the very minorities he supposedly is interested in protecting the rights of (considering they get sentenced to ten years, and sometimes life for dime bag deals, while bankers like HSBC, that are the bag men for the biggest terrorist organizations in the ME, and narcoterrorists in Mexico and elsewhere, make billions out of these criminal relationships, and get a free ride from our justice system based on yep, bribes, dressed up as "Free Speech", and Holder's moronic philosophy on criminal prosecution, and massive banking entities.

However that's another topic, and not related, like pretty much all of your arguments.

18. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    The problem is that the people should be protected don't have the money to lobby DC.

19. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    I recognize what you say, but I'd argue that the whole concept is the whoring out of republican democracy. Money is not speech and never will be, the idea that it is is farcical. If it is, it means that billionaires have the right to billions more times free speech than the poorest of the poor, and that is antithetical to the idea of republican democracy and popular sovereignty. It's absurd.

But that's another topic, and a very very depressing one to boot.

20. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That said the lack of action on the banks doesn't forgive what FIFA has done or mean the US shouldn't be going after them with the zeal they apparently are.

21. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    Reality is a female dog.:unsure:

22. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Well, to be within their jurisdiction it has to have touched the US somehow. However, it doesn't mean that the perpetrators ever set foot in the US. If you read the actual indictment (I have not read it all but some), one of the points made is that the US financial system was used to launder and transfer money because of the 'relative' safety and stability of the US financial system. I would imagine that is true of a lot of people, not just the ones identified to date. I am also confident that if the FBI finds information that points to the Swiss Financial System being used for illegal means that they will be passing that information on to the Swiss. And the indictment does reference that Swiss financial institutions with branches in the US were used. As such those transactions fall within the FBI's purview, but I'm sure the Swiss will be looking at them as well.

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think it is so funny people are saying things like it doesn't look right if the Cup is taken away from Qatar and given to the USA.

Newsflash...

...it did not look right for Qatar to get it in the first place! That is the issue that has to be resolved.

superdave repped this.
  24. The Germans are coming

Aug 13, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
  25. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    For the record I'd be fine with the cup going to Australia, England, Japan, S. Korea, China, Spain, Morocco, whatever. It doesn't have to be in the US, it just needs to be the heck out of Qatar. Heck, some joint holding of the cup by two African states would be fine too. I don't really care, it just has to actually make logical sense, be hosted during the proper time of year, and not be an obvious fix for a region via vote rigging/pay offs, and it has to be able to host it while getting at least a competent grade on the technical report, and not a, "You're joking right <while laughing hysterically>" response for anyone who wasn't bought off, and of course you need to be able to host it without killing thousands of people (none of whom are even your citizens for gods sake, and of course that wouldn't justify it either) in the process, and can assuredly provide a great experience for fans and their own citizens.

It's not about the US hosting it, it's about Qatar buying it, lying in their presentation, and then using imported slave labor they kill through their labor practices/law to make it happen. There's about 10 countries in Europe, 3 or 4 in Asia, 2 or 3 in Africa, 2 or 3 in South America etc, Australia, and beyond that could justifiably host it.

Hopefully they take advantage of this opportunity to ---- can this bought off, horrific idea, however, as another poster has mentioned, Blatter was pro US for the cash, he wasn't pro-Qatar, but he stuck with Qatar once it was voted in. So in the end, I still suspect nothing will happen, and it will be the disappointment, or outright debacle all of us expect.

PabloSanDiego and Dr. Gamera repped this.