Andrija Novakovich at Calcio Lecco 1912 (Serie B)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bshredder, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Ajax - Fortuna Sittard (zondag 16.45 uur)
    Blakend van zelfvertrouwen na het wonder van Madrid kan Ajax voor de zesde keer op rij meer dan vier doelpunten maken in eigen huis, een evenaring van het eredivisierecord uit ‘66-’67. Met Fortuna Sittard is de opponent daar ideaal voor. De Limburgers verloren zeven van de laatste acht uitduels en incasseerden in vier duels minstens vier tegengoals. Maakt Ajax zijn feestweek compleet?

[​IMG]
    © AD Sportwereld
    [​IMG]
    google translate:
    Brimming with confidence after the miracle of Madrid, Ajax can make more than four goals in the home for the sixth time in a row, an equalization of the premier league record from '66 -'67. With Fortuna Sittard the opponent is ideal for that. The team from Limburg lost seven of the last eight outings and swallowed four goals in four matches. Does Ajax complete its party week?

edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  2. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Probably not. After the high of Madrid there'll be a bit of a comedown psychologically - it's hard to play beyond yourself for too many games in a row - beating Sittard isn't exactly motivating anyway, and they have AZ away next, followed by PSV, probably with a postponed game in between.

They'll surely win this game, but they'll play within themselves: win 2-0 today, followed by an away win at AZ and a home win against PSV and Ajax go top of the table. Who needs a hamstring strain to score a fourth in a 4-1 victory?

3. Probably, but you never know after a match that made Ajax go the whole time with the pedal to the metal in Madrid.
    Feyenoord had to fight PSV away with ten men to get a draw and also were drained when we faced Ajax at home in the cup semi a few days later. We just didnot have enough energy to chase Ajax, so we lost.
    Same thing can happen to Ajax. Hopefully Lamprou will cause so much trouble for Mazraoui that de Ligt has to back up him and in the process has to divide his attention away from Nova or van de Beek comes to the aid, leaving a hole that Nova can use. Fatigue, physically and mentally, can play Ajax a treacherous role.

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Has Nova earned enough interest from other clubs to go for him when Fortuna is relegated? I'd hate for him to return to the 2nd division.

5. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    They aren't going to get relegated, but he isn't going back to Fortuna regardless.

6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    People asked for a 4-0, people got a 4-0.

Sorry but I don't get it with Novakovich. Even when he scores, he's a ghost for most of the game. And most of the games he doesn't even score.

The only puzzle is why Eijer keeps starting him. Lack of options, I guess.

8. Who's Eijer?

9. Given how his team mates play it would be a miracle if he shone.
    Ratings of the Ajax match:
    Fortuna Sittard: Koselev 6; Mac-Intosch 5, Ninaj 4,5, Rodriguez 5, Pinto 4; Balic 4,5, Smeets 5, Diemers 5,5 (77. Hutten -), El Messaoudi 5 (86. Ramirez -); Novakovich 5, Lamprou 5 (73. Ciss -).

The way that Pinto bloke "defended"makes you wonder why on earth you sign a guy from Prtugal that hasnot a clue of what he's doing. Any Dutch youth team defender does better.

comoesa and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Fortuna's coach.

11. Aha. Actually Hofland is the guy who pulls the strings, but as he hasnot completed his coaching course yet this guy acts as the front.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Heard of that. Sounds a bit conspiracytheorish IMO.

13. Nope. Kevin was the coach that guided them to the Eredivisie, but when they did he wasnot allowed anymore to be the first coach as he then was required to have the full coaching licence. Hence they moved in this Eijer guy, who was running a 4th? league amateur team and also has health problems that makes him not really viable as a head coach. But for the window dressing for Fortuna it's not a problem. He wasnot running the show anyway.

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  14. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was a scheduled loss pretty much.

15. Serbian_sensation

Serbian_sensation New Member

Arsenal
    Serbia
    Mar 12, 2019
    USA better hold on to him or the same thing is going to happen just like it did with Subotic.

16. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    On what basis????

Born and raised in Wisconsin to a mother born in England of Serbian descent.

1) I don't think he's on Serbia's radar. Mitrovic and Jovik are two better options than anything we have...

2) He's two cultures removed from Serbia. I'm sure he identifies as Serbian and his proud of his heritage, but his ties at this point have to be closer to America or England.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I thought his mother was American.

18. Serbian_sensation

Serbian_sensation New Member

Arsenal
    Serbia
    Mar 12, 2019
    I’m just saying the US haven’t given him any great opportunities and he speaks Serbian like it’s second nature to him. I also do believe that he makes trips to Serbia every so often to see his family that lives there. All it takes is one chance given by Serbia and he could be gone.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    No country that could have him would want him, outside us.

He's not going anywhere.

20. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's received more or less the opportunities that he's earned.

21. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    It could be possible that she is very American, but my findings are that she has a British passport which is how Andrija was able to move to Reading so easily.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He should play for Serbia, if it's an option. I just don't see it happening for him with the US.

superdave repped this.
  23. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If he isn't playing for the US, he isn't playing for Serbia. Luka Jovic and Aleksandar Mitrovic, among others, will see to that.

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Yeah. He'd probably be 10th or 12th option for them whereas for us he's like 6th or so.

But he's a big dude and we have so very few of these. So, that's diversity and helpful.

25. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's received less. Though, he's not a must-cap, in the pool yet. OTOH, I'm upset that GB needed to trot out Gyasi Zardes again so we could marvel at how someone can improve so little after such a long time.