Andrija Novakovich at Calcio Lecco 1912 (Serie B)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bshredder, Apr 4, 2014.

1. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Young, still coming though/developing, was playing in Dutch DII or the equivalent until last season. In some respects it's surprising he got as much PT as he did.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think is a coach's choice. Nova hasn't given a fair shake so far, in my view. It may be tough if we play with only one forward and the other forward is a Sargent.

3. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Baloney. He has produced for two years. He has to fight for his spot each week. He sees what it takes to succeed and is doing it. Of course he is young. Of course he is still developing. What is the alternative? If you are young or old, it does not matter. What you did on the field these past months is more important than what you did 3 years ago. I don't want to knock the program any more than it has been knocked, but it is dysfunctional. I only hope they turn the corner and fix it.

4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    how does 1 correctly pronounce his film?

6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. For those always looking for an excuse to down talk scoring goals in the Eredivisie.
    Sebastian Haller who played at Utrecht (with Rubio?) and scored a few is now in the BuLi a hot scoring item.
    Sebastien Haller fuels Frankfurt's rise as Augsburg become the Eagles ...

Bundesliga - official website-21 nov. 2018
    Sebastien Haller scored for the seventh game running as Eintracht Frankfurt maintained their charge at the top of the Bundesliga with a 3-1 win ...
    upload_2018-12-6_2-15-12.jpeg
    Top-Scorer Europas: Sebastien Haller ist der Schlüsselspieler von ...

Bundesliga - Die offizielle Seite-26 nov. 2018
    Köln – Die ganze Bundesliga beneidet Eintracht Frankfurt für sein Offensiv-Trio um Luka Jovic, Ante Rebic und Sebastien Haller. Doch vom ...
    Eintracht Frankfurts Sebastien Haller: Einmal gefährlicher sein als ...
    Internationaal-Goal.com-26 nov. 2018

8. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The American Van Nistelroy!! Or Jan Koller?

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Down talk? You mean "talk down" right?

10. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is he still at 4 goals?

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Precisely. Hasn't scored since that brace over 2 months ago. (albeit he missed 4 games for injury).

12. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Redding in 21st place I wonder if they wish they kept him.

13. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The club's in a bit of a mess for the last few seasons and they've just sacked their manager - so I doubt they even register him, mentally. By the time the new guy has got settled in, the transfer window will have closed, so I doubt Andrija will be moving back this season. Just keep on plugging away and the breaks will come

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/dec/06/reading-paul-clement-sacked-poor-start

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Came in at 74'. He's looked lively but AZ managed to score a third. Nova hasn't done much but has shown he can run, after his injury (broken toe).

16. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game is on ESPN+ Today. Hopefully Andrija is healthy and starts. 10:45 Eastern.

LouisZ repped this.
  17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts:

1074323213663068160 is not a valid tweet id

18. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Absolutely beautiful set-up and assist for Andrija just now in the 51st min. Great composure.

19. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very smart play by Nova for the assist.

20. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Almost scores a goal riding off 3 challenges but just misses in the 88th. Fortuna then score in stoppage time after Andrija holds the ball up and his teammate finishes. Looks like they will go on to win 2-0

21. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
  22. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish he and a lot of our other attackers (includes Pulisic) would stop hesitating after they get a look at goal. Their instinct is to keep dribbling or pass off responsibility. Want to see those killers and risk takers right now. Sargent is one of them and it pays off. So much is just a mindset.

The dribbling and chance creation is really brilliant. The ball sticks to his feet and he's got moves. Allows teammates time to join the attack, usually. Multiple times he beat a few players on the wing too later on in the match but nobody was making a trailing run into the box so he had to retreat or just play a hopeful ball. The hold-up play is inconsistent, but often brilliant as well. His hold-up play started the game-clinching goal. Posted up the defender and trapped the ball dead. Eventually it got around to his teammate, who didn't hesitate once he beat a defender off the dribble.

He may be the best American striker right now at doing the most with the least because of his positive attitude, deceptive speed, and slaloming ability. Even if he's not the best overall, it may behoove the a-team to start him when we're over-matched, i.e.: @England or @Italy. Not look at it like we have a best xi and that's who we're always going to play. I don't think the U.S. is good enough or has the total footballers for that (lack of) strategy.

23. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    that was very impressive for a big guy

24. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We have a cultural stigma against that mindset, I think. Players who always take the shot are viewed as selfish, ballhogs, etc. The attitude stretches across all of our sports. It has never been surprising to me that we produce a lot of pretty good center mids, wingers, defenders, and goalkeepers, but can't develop good goalscorers.

We even demonize the players who do have that attitude. Think of Jozy, Eddie Johnson, etc. There's a racial component to the criticism of them and their attitudes, but it also comes from the fact that they can, and should be, selfish goalscorers.

25. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We come from the greed is good culture. So I don't think that's it. No shortage of basketball players that shoot, even to the detriment of their ballclubs. Thus they garner the moniker of being "chuckers".

I think it's more players succumbing to pressures in the climactic moment because they have the stigma of being the American on their team, or propelling us forward as a footballing nation. Also, the decision-making is less often natural because the lack of early experience in the sport without dedication to development/rapid integration in the States as well as time split into multiple other sports as youths.