Semi-Official 2019 San Jose Earthquakes Roster Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Seismothusiast, Nov 30, 2018.

1. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    As of today, Tuesday March 5th, the MLS website STILL does not list Cade Cowell on the roster. How could a player be signed to the Earthquakes but not be on the team? He’s not listed as “on loan” either. Who screwed up the paperwork???

2. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't panic. He is listed on the Quakes roster on the club site and shows his signing date. MLS website is likely just behind in their updating.

Beckham7 repped this.
  3. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Not panicked, but this feels like the Hoesen green card situation or the Paul Marie international slot from last year. Websites can be updated very quickly and the Quakes should have been on MLS to get it updated on Monday. Which of course leads me to wonder if SJ didn’t mess something up.

4. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Little update on Cade Cowell and Danny Hoesen.

The Earthquakes made a splash back in January when they signed Cade Cowell to an MLS Homegrown contract, making the 15 year old the youngest professional athlete ever signed by a Bay Area sports franchise. The forward had a very impressive showing in the Quakes Academy, and he’s expected to continue his development with the senior squad.

Cowell, however, will not be eligible to appear for the Earthquakes first team until he finishes up the Academy season, which runs into June. As a requirement of his Homegrown status, Cowell needs to complete one year with the Quakes Academy. He is currently featuring for the U-17 team, scoring the lone goal in a 1-0 win over Ballistic United SC last weekend in Pleasanton.

Given Cowell’s Academy duties, the forward is unlikely to play for San Jose’s USL Championship affiliate Reno 1868 FC either. He will continue to train with the first team while he awaits his official eligibility this summer.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  5. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    that's awesome about Cowell. Hoesen on the other hand is not very good and certainly not the answer to our offensive woes. we were better off with Mike Fucito.

6. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoesen has scored 15 times, the great Mike Fucito 5.

7. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Mike was more fun to watch.

8. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

9. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  10. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    3.5 feet of fire.

11. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    I am sorry, there is no way Fucito is better than Hoesen. Quakes 05 must be drinking/smoking something mighty fine for him to come up with that one.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  12. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    haha! I was joking but I really don't think much of Hoesen.

13. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    So I was proven correct about Cowell. Hmmm....

bobby_guzman, Scott Rohde and JazzyJ repped this.
  14. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess you were kind of proven correct on why he wasn't listed on the roster, but, so what? He is only 15. He can't officially play for the first team until June. Unless his signing is null and void until then and he somehow gets signed away by another team there really isn't a problem.

SalinasQuakesFan and don gagliardi repped this.
  15. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    https://www.sjearthquakes.com/post/...-academy-product-cade-cowell-homegrown-player
    I'm sure everything is cool between Cade and the Quakes, but what about the Quakes being deceptive to the fans? It's not a big deal, but it kinda irks me because it's the wrong thing to do.

16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Don't attribute to malice (conspiracy) that which is adequately explained by stupidity (incompetence)."

In any case there's little chance a 15 year old would get MLS minutes even if he was on the roster (yes even one as bad as ours), before a late season debut Gilbert Fuentes style... so Cowell staying with the academy until June is just fine.

The problem isn't "deception" it's that we keep ending up with these not-quite-working-out-as-expected situations because our front office might not be on the ball.
    Just recently:
    -Marie's domestic/international status in 2018 --> Reno
    -Sergio Rivas' domestic/international status as a DACA kid in 2019? --> Reno
    -Hoesen's green card: still not resolved
    -signing Cowell to a homegrown deal before he's eligible

bobby_guzman and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  17. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    #167 Scott Rohde, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Don't misunderstand me - I don't think the quakes intentionally did this - I think it's incompetence. BUT they should have made a correction.

and whether they did it on purpose or not it was deceptive.

and again, not a big deal, but just another thing.

18. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    It’s just dumb the Quakes didn’t know the eligibility requirements. Almeyda said he was impressed by Cade’s work in preseason. He got as many minutes in the first 3 preseason games as Tommy Thompson. Clearly Almeyda was interested in bringing in fast fresh legs late in games. The Quakes are thin In forwards and Cade was expected to be one of the options at the beginning of the season.

19. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018

That adds some clarification. It would have been nice if the Quakes just made this clear to begin with.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We're talking about MLS rules. Clarity is impossible.

SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  21. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Color me skeptical that this is even possible. Why have the 1 year requirement in the first place? Isn't it in place to show development of the homegrown player? So the Quakes can claim he's developed enough in half a season and sign him? Has any other team done this? Sign someone early and wait until they are eligible? I have zero doubt a contract was signed by all parties. What I doubt is the validity of the contract. I think they will have to do the same contract again with a new date and the original one is void. I'm not an expert, so I'll admit I could be wrong.

22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Aren't all contracts signed with MLS? If there is embarrassment to be had, it would appear it necessarily extends to HQ? If they're the ones determining validity, we can expect they will make the determination in such a way as to avoid their own embarrassment.

Maybe not, but we'll find out soon enough. So take a deep breathe and relax.

23. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I'm 100% not worried about losing Cade Cowell. He's going to be on the bench in June, I'm extremely confident of that. What is irritating is the fact that the Quakes pulled a bit of "bait and switch". They made a big deal of the signing. They even showed clips of him training and playing in the preseason in their social media clips. They crowed about how they had signed the youngest player in team history. This was done while they were hitting people up to buy season tickets. Then come to find out that he's only eligible for a part of the season. I find that lame.

asdf2 repped this.
  24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Fair enough. But I yawned about the Cade Cowell signing, as I do with all the teenagers. When they make the team and do something I will get excited. And my season tickets were renewed last summer. I'm going to be here regardless, even after 0-34. Do you really think anyone else purchased season tickets based on the Cade Cowell signing? If so, sure, they should be allowed refunds if they want them.

25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    On the other hand, the Quakes social media folks may simply be clueless. On the website, dateline 3/20, and in my email inbox today (3/21):

. . . We won’t know specifically who will start [on Saturday against Monterrey], but you can bet much of the team’s core of young players will see the pitch, including midfielders Eric Calvillo, Gilbert Fuentes, Siad Haji and Luis Felipe, forward Cade Cowell and defender Paul Marie . . . [Emphasis added]

https://www.sjearthquakes.com/post/...ndly-provides-opportunity-new-players-impress