Semi-Official 2018 San Jose Earthquakes Roster Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by jetdog9, Nov 27, 2017.

1. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Rumor is that Imperiale is on the way out. That leaves two pure CB's plus the Reno kid - on the entire team. That's unacceptable. Maybe it won't be a DP but they need at least one other CB badly - and it should be a real good one.

2. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seismothusiast repped this.
  3. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your math and theirs are the not the same. They have Flo, Ockford, Cummings, and Affoelter as 2 deep then the new kid. It wouldn’t surprise me if they draft a centerback if there’s one close to “best available” player still on the board that they think might have potential when they draft. And they might sign one if they can find a domestic one. But the pressing need is outside back. Unless there’s something unexpected going on like Cumming’s return to training late last year had him looking bad in the opinion of Jesse who didn’t pick him...or Affoelter was considered not athletic enough and not worth the int slot, I don’t think it’s some huge priority. I understand why it is for you & and I would tend to fill roster slots and loan if it were me in charge. But I’m just doubtful they see it as you do.

4. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Flo is primarily a CDM. I said "pure" CB's. There are 2 - and 3 if you include the Reno kid, who may not even be MLS ready. Affolter may be MLS ready but he is mediocre and gets run over on set pieces. Cummings is unproven in MLS. So besides Flo, who is proven to be good at CB even if not his primary position, we have 0 proven good MLS CB's. And we are coming off an historically bad year in terms of goals allowed. There were just a few teams in MLS with more goals allowed than the Quakes last year.

We can't just be comparable to last year. The back line needs to be way better. We don't need a few tweaks, we need a makeover.

5. SeaJayBee

SeaJayBee Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Saratoga
    IIRC, Shea played right back for Philiadelphia the year he was drafted in the expansion draft.

6. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flo is a proven CB. It doesn’t really matter his purity. They are probably going to use him a CB. Cummings is a CB...now your just adding the meaningless MLS proven constraint to the meaningless purity constraint. If you look at how they see the roster, which won’t be based on purity or proven (except for the kid with the latter well they will see him as a project), don’t count on them adding a pure, MLS proven CB...let alone a good one that you think is out there somewhere. If you need that to happen to think the Quakes will stand a chance, I guess you can give up on the season before it starts.

7. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    It is not actually that difficult to understand. The defense was almost historically bad last year. You need to make major improvements or you will still be bad, just not quite as bad. If they keep Flo back there (and BTW he is not w/o his weaknesses as a CB) that's fine, but they should have at least one player who is either proven in MLS or of a quality that makes him an almost no-brainer upgrade. The league is getting better and more competitive very year. Incremental change is not good enough anymore especially in areas where you are really lacking badly.

8. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, we’ll see you in 2019 since we’re only going to historically bad again.

9. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    No, based on what I actually said, the back line may be incrementally better than historically bad. I did not say that that'd be historically bad again. There is almost no way that they'd be good, especially with virtually no depth right now. What happens if Flo goes down?

10. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ockford takes the organizer role. He did it at Reno.

11. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope we are a little more progressive.;)

12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Wow. That's about all I can say to that, other than, I think you just proved my point.

13. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Backups are the next man up. That’s not new.

14. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Your 3rd guy thrown into the role of "back line organizer" should not be a USL player.

15. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s not a USL player, having now an MLS contract.

16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Technically, yes, but he's played lots of USL minutes and 0 MLS minutes.

17. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Great catch! I'll make this edit the next time the team makes a move.

18. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except he did play for the Sounders. But it doesn't really matter because Russell and Fiorinelli have decided he's ready to jump up again.

19. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Welcome back Danny Hoesen! Now, can we pick up a couple of defenders?

________
    Salary Budget Roster
    1. Andrew Tarbell (G) #28 {10/7/93} [$94K]
    2. Joel Qwiberg # ? (D) {10/09/92} (Columbia, INT) [$???K]
    3. Harold Cummings # 31 (D) (Panama, INT) {3/1/92} [$300.7K]
    4. Francois Affolter # 3 (D) (Switzerland, INT) {3/13/91} [$???K]
    5. Jimmy Ockford (D) #? {6/10/92} [$??]
    6. Florian Jungwirth, #23 (D/M) (Germany, INT) {1/27/89} [$516.7K]
    7. Fatai Alashe #27 (M) {10/21/93} [$114.4K]
    8. Anibal Godoy #30 (M) (Panama, INT}{2/10/90} [$256.2K]
    9. Darwin Ceren # 17 (M) (El Salvador, Green Card?) {12/31/89} [$249.4K]
    10. Shea Salinas #6 (M) {6/24/86} [$185K*]
    11. Jamir Hyka #10 (M) (Albania, INT) {3/8/88} [$520K]
    12. Simon Dawkins #49 (M/F) (Jamaica, INT) {12/1/87} [$800K]
    13. Danny Hoesen #9 (F) (Netherlands, INT) {1/15/91} [$503.1K]
    14. Valeri Qazaishvili #11 (M/F) (Georgia, INT) {1/29/93} [$???K]
    15. Magnus Eriksson #?? (M/F) (Sweden, INT) {4/2/90} [$???K]
    16. Chris Wondolowski #8 (F) {1/28/83} [$800?*]
    17. Quincy Amarikwa # 25 (F) {10/29/87}[$270.2k]
    18. [Empty]
    19. [Empty]
    20. [Empty]

* Indicates a known guaranteed contract.​

Supplemental Roster (Off-Budget-min $65K)
    21. Jackson Yueill (M) #14 {3/19/97} [Generation Adidas - $176]
    22. Matt Bersano # 35 (G) {9/10/92} [$65]
    23. JT Marcinkowski # ? (G) {5/09/97] [$???K - Homegrown Player]
    24. [Empty]
    Reserve Roster (Off-Budget-in $50K, under 25)
    25. Luis Felipe (M) #? {1/29/96} [$??]
    26. Chris Wehan (M) #? {1/29/94} [$??]
    27. Jacob Akanyirige (D) #? {12/31/17} [$???K - Homegrown Player]
    28. [Empty]
    Homegrown Players (Additional Reserves Slots)
    29. Tommy Tompson (M/F) #22 {8/15/95} [$155K - Homegrown Player]
    30. Nick Lima (D) #24 {11/17/94} [$86.2-Homegrown Player]​

Players Who's Options Have Not Been Picked Up, But May Be in Negotiation

Victor Bernardez # 5 (D) (Honduras, Green Card) {5/24/82} [$266.6K]
    Leandro Barrera (M) (Argentine) {2/22/91} [$100K]
    Cordell Cato #7 (D/M) (T & T, Green Card Holder) {7/15/92} [$138.7K]
    Marc Pelosi # 33 (M) {6/17/94) [75K]
    Matheus Silva (F) #38 (Brazil, INT) {12/6/96} [$65K]
    Lindo Mfeka #13 (M/F) (South Africa, Green Card?) {3/30/94} [$53]

Not Under Contract
    Andres Imperiale # 32 (D) (Argentina, INT) {7/8/86} [$107.5K]
    Kofie Sarkodie # 2 (D) {3/22/91} [$140K]

Retired?
    Marvell Wynne # 4 (D) {5/8/86} [$257.1K]

CURRENT SALARY TOTAL for 2018 the cap is was approximately $4,035,000, and our overall salary is unknown. Note: Some player's salaries were likely bought down this year with allocation money, and this cost is not represented in the figure above. The 2017 figures above were used to calculate our cap, rounding up to the nearest thousand from the union's released salaries from April 2017. Part of Wondo's salary (TAM) has been bough down and he has since signed a new multi-year contract in 2016. Hyka, Jungwirth & Hoesen signing also used TAM in 2017.

Allocations, Slots, Rights, & Trades
    Allocations
    ***We received allocation money for David Bingham from LAG and for Urena in the Expansion Draft: $150k in GAM, $100k in TAM, and $50k of conditional GAM in 2019***

Trades, waivers, losses
    ---* BINGHAM - to the Galaxy for up to $250k in allocation money - 12/18/17
    ---* COLVEY - Selected by Rapids in the Waiver Draft - 12/13/17
    ---* MFEKA - Signed by Reno 1868 - 12/13/17
    ---* URENA - Selected by LAFC in the Expansion Draft- 12/12/17
    ---* FRANCIS - to Montreal for their 2nd round draft pick or $50,000 in GAM. - 7/13/17.
    ---* General Allocation Money from New England for the 2nd place Allocation spot and either TAM or TAM and GAM for the 2018 season - 7/3/17.

Slots
    ---* DP's - Wondolowski, Dawkins and Qazaishvili occupy a DP slot, so all slots are currently occupied.
    ---* We currently have no open INT slots. We have eight slots, and all eight of those slots are occupied (Godoy, Dawkins, Cummings, Hyka, Jungwirth, Qazaishvili, Affolter & Qwiberg = INT).

Rights
    ---* 12th on the allocation list.
    ---* All of our 2018 Superdraft picks (12, 30, 35, 58 & 81).
    ---* All of our 2019 Waiver Draft and Re-Entry Draft picks.
    ---* Lottery eligible for the 2018 season.
    ---* We hold Olmes Garcia's MLS rights.
    ---* Still hold Yannick Djalo's MLS rights.
    ---* Still hold Jaime Alas' MLS rights.
    ---* We hold the right to Bryan Jordan, acquired in the re-entry draft on 12/14/12.
    ---* We hold the rights to these unsigned MLS draftees: Christian Thierjung & Auden Schilder through 2018.​

Staff
    * Tom Fox (President)
    * Jared Shawlee (Chief Operating Officer)
    * Jesse Fioranelli (General Manager)
    * Mikael Stahre(Head Coach)
    * Steve Ralson (Assistant Coach)
    * Alex Covelo (Assistant Coach)
    * Chris Leitch (Technical Director)​

SSVCF
    SSV
    centerlinesoccer

20. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Thank you for the update!

21. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You can take Mfeka off the Players Who's Options Have Not Been Picked Up, But May Be in Negotiation as he has signed with Reno.

22. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's a good idea. I think Silva, Imperiale, Bernardez, and Sarkodie all send goodbye messages too. Can anyone remember anyone else who should be removed?

23. SeaJayBee

SeaJayBee Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Saratoga
    Ouch. No INT slots and we still need to make room for both Hoesen and Eriksson. We either have to dump 2 INT players: Dawkins is likely first on everyone's list (including mine) or trade for additional INT slots.

If we drop someone in addition to Dawkins, who's next? I would guess Affolter because we're not going to send away any of Godoy, Cummings (we NEED a strong CB), Hyka, Flo, Vako, or new guy Joel Q.

My bet is that we drop 1 INT player (Dawkins) and trade/negotiate (using TAM/GAM) for that last INT slot. Hopefully the additional TAM we received from the league and from recent trades will be enough to make it all work.

24. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Damn, I forgot to update that part! There was suggestion earlier that Dawkins probably got a green card. This would still put us one over the limit though. We could also trade for an additional slot. I can't see sending any INTs out on loan this time around.

25. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Pardon my ignorance but do we have anyone in our front office now who is well versed in all these arcane MLS rules about TAM and GAM and salary caps and all that? Is that Leitch's role now?

It seems the ability to know and work these rules is important - maybe I'm wrong - but experience would help in this regard. JF seems competent and connected to Europe and I'll give the new coach the benefit of the doubt, and I realize that Doyle was not a great GM and they made some awful personnel moves. But it would seem to have someone in the front office or coaching staff who had detailed knowledge and experience with the sometimes stupid rules so they can effectively make trades and use the allocations most efficiently.