Semi-Official 2018 San Jose Earthquakes Roster Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by jetdog9, Nov 27, 2017.

1. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    No chance though. Seems like it was a little "winky" surprise, more like a little feel-good thing. I know a lot of people would want Dawkins off the team (myself included) but I have a hard time imagining that "Hey, we're waiving Simon Dawkins!" would be the winky surprise.

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  2. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Maybe Wynne will the the
    Maybe they're working a deal to give Wynne a heart transplant...with Dawkins as the donor.... :devilish:

3. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Oof!

4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone on reddit made this Google Doc:

Roster Model for SJ Earthquakes

Yesterday I found myself wondering what the average age of the squad was and found that I couldn't find a good table of the raw squad data I needed in order to calculate that easily. In my frustration I wound up having to make a spreadsheet myself, but after I started I didn't see a good stopping point until I had developed a basic but functional roster model, including summary stats on Roster Budget, Roster Spots, Player Positions, and Age statistics.

The salary data is extracted from the players' union's most recent salary data disclosure.

There is a lot of missing data on players, and I haven't verified what data is in there. Any correcting information or updates are always welcome.

The model doesn't account for Salaries being "bought down" with TAM or GAM and assumes that players on loan have their wages fully off the Salary Budget, but otherwise I think it does a somewhat decent job of modelling Salary Budget calculations, but I must admit that I only read the actual rules for the first time yesterday.

Please have a look and let me know if you have any feedback or corrections to data or formula. Maybe with a little work this could become a useful resource for the community.​

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...xLFOBOQPbgnSpb7FoIW7a_4Ig/edit#gid=1894883344

5. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Marvell already has more heart than Dawkins, even after having it fixed.

markmcf8 and bsman repped this.
  6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Armchair Analyst: Roster build status for all 23 MLS teams ahead of 2018

The Quakes update:
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/12/22/roster-build-sj

JAN. 2 UPDATE: On top of the pile of new signings they re-upped with Danny Hoesen, who I thought was promising as hell last year (he is one of those players who is much more impressive when you watch him in person than on TV, for what it's worth).

And that leads us to elephant in the room: It feels like there's not a natural starting spot for Wondo next year. Wondo can really only play at a high level as a second forward. He's too slow to be a winger, and he's not really a lead-the-line type of No. 9 who can be goal-dangerous by battling directly with center backs, who can hold the ball up when his team's under siege, and who can bring his wingers into the play.

Hoesen does all that. Fioranelli's two biggest signings (Vako and Eriksson) are best playing off a guy like Hoesen, not with a guy like Wondo.

So... "Chris Wondolowski, Super-Sub" might be a thing everybody has to get used to next year.

JAN. 24 UPDATE: The Quakes grabbed 21-year-old Uruguayan center back Yeferson Quintana on loan from Peñarol, which means they're now five(ish) deep at CB. Then they shipped out one CM (Darwin Ceren to Houston for GAM and TAM), while bringing in a young, domestic player (20-year-old Eric Calvillo, from NASL's New York Cosmos) to presumably fill that role on the depth chart.

Were I to wager, I'd bet that makes it likelier we see one of Yueill or Thompson in the starting lineup. And I'd also wager that the big moves are done for the Quakes this winter – it'll be what you see right now, with first-round SuperDraft pick Paul Marie adding fullback/wingback depth.

7. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I don't get his thinking at all. How does signing Yeferson, and signing Calvillo to fill "that role" (Ceren's role) make it more likely that Yueill or Tommy are in the starting lineup?

If anything, I would say it makes it less likely. That's because 1) Yeferson's presence may mean Flo plays d-mid. So the c-mid pairing will likely be Flo / Godoy. If Godoy's role is more #8 to Flo's #6, then Jackson could be depth for that position (Godoy's position). Yet Calvillo can also play the #8, or wide right mid, which is what TT usually plays now. So IMO both of these move make it less likely, not more likely that Jackson or TT start.

What am I missing? I suppose we could say that Ceren was more likely to start than Calvillo, but then I don't think Ceren would even be a starter if Flo is pushed into midfield.

markmcf8 and SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the analysis was as simple as "veteran competition (Ceren) is now out of the picture" and "JY and TT are above Calvillo in the depth chart"... but I agree with you that all of that is more than negated by Jungwirth moving into the midfield.

9. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quakes have put out a lot of video over the last few days, actually think I saw Simon Dawkins in one of them......

10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Dawkins has already been benched. :p

xbhaskarx, don gagliardi and Tom Szabo repped this.
  12. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the six picked the Quakes and another mentioned us... the relevant text:

Discuss: Which MLS team has improved the most so far in 2018?

Doyle: LA Galaxy

Stejskal: LA Galaxy
    Baer: Atlanta United
    Wiebe: NYCFC

Rodriguez: Vancouver Whitecaps FC

I think Andrew makes a really compelling case for NYCFC, and I also think a fresh approach and the quality of imports in San Jose brought in by Jesse Fioranelli means the Quakes can't be slept on, but I'm going for the Whitecaps here...

Rosano: San Jose Earthquakes
    Those two teams all the way down I-5 might be grabbing all the headlines transfer-wise, but as someone who's spent a lot of his life watching the Quakes, it's hard not to be optimistic – or curious at the very least – about the direction they're headed. They've added a host of intriguing prospects and given their backline a much-needed overhaul. It's refreshing to finally see them commit to giving youngsters a chance, and it'll show in their play. They might not be ready to contend for MLS Cup, but we'll see a better San Jose team than last year – and one that'll better their brief playoff showing from 2017.

13. RobsterCraw

RobsterCraw Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Yeah, that was me, I also made a new version today, so here is the new link:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Nxv3T06mZBmx7zveQEY33bJnmbg4EvcydJ9l0S8quxM/edit?usp=sharing

If anyone wants to help correct or fill in the data, I'd be delighted. If I get more time to revisit in in the future, I might write the code to output the data into a text format for posting to either here or reddit.

markmcf8 and xbhaskarx repped this.
  14. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Okay, we have two new assistant coaches, sign home grown player Gilbert Fuentes, and some player numbers have been updated on the website. I'll try to pick more up at the scrimmage today.

________
    Salary Budget Roster
    1. Andrew Tarbell #28 (G) {10/7/93} [$94K]
    2. Joel Qwiberg #2 (D) {10/09/92} (Columbia, INT) [$???K]
    3. Harold Cummings #31 (D) (Panama, INT) {3/1/92} [$300.7K]
    4. Francois Affolter #3 (D) (Switzerland, INT) {3/13/91} [$???K]
    5. Jimmy Ockford #15 (D) {6/10/92} [$??]
    6. Yeferson Quintana #? (D){4/19/96} [$???]
    7. Florian Jungwirth, #23 (D/M) (Germany, INT) {1/27/89} [$516.7K]
    8. Fatai Alashe #27 (M) {10/21/93} [$114.4K]
    9. Anibal Godoy #30 (M) (Panama, INT}{2/10/90} [$256.2K]
    10. Shea Salinas #6 (M) {6/24/86} [$185K*]
    11. Jamir Hyka #10 (M) (Albania, INT) {3/8/88} [$520K]
    12. Simon Dawkins #49 (M/F) (Jamaica, INT) {12/1/87} [$800K]
    13. Danny Hoesen #9 (F) (Netherlands, INT) {1/15/91} [$503.1K]
    14. Valeri Qazaishvili #11 (M/F) (Georgia, INT) {1/29/93} [$???K]
    15. Magnus Eriksson #?? (M/F) (Sweden, INT) {4/2/90} [$???K]
    16. Chris Wondolowski #8 (F) {1/28/83} [$800?*]
    17. Quincy Amarikwa # 25 (F) {10/29/87}[$270.2k]
    18. [Empty]
    19. [Empty]
    20. [Empty]

* Indicates a known guaranteed contract.​

Supplemental Roster (Off-Budget-min $65K)
    21. Jackson Yueill (M) #14 {3/19/97} [Generation Adidas - $176]
    22. Matt Bersano # 35 (G) {9/10/92} [$65]
    23. JT Marcinkowski # 18 (G) {5/09/97] [$???K - Homegrown Player]
    24. Eric Calvillo # 26 (M) {1/2/98}
    Reserve Roster (Off-Budget-in $50K, under 25)
    25. Luis Felipe # 96 (M) {1/29/96} [$??]
    26. Chris Wehan # 16 (M) {1/29/94} [$??]
    27. Jacob Akanyirige # 29 (D) {12/31/01} [$???K - Homegrown Player]
    28. Gilbert Fuentes # ?? (M) {2/21/02} [$???K - Homegrown Player]
    Homegrown Players (Additional Reserves Slots)
    29. Tommy Tompson (M/F) #22 {8/15/95} [$155K - Homegrown Player]
    30. Nick Lima (D) #24 {11/17/94} [$86.2-Homegrown Player]​

Players in Preseason Camp
    Paul Marie (D) {3/24/95}
    Danny Musovski (F) {11/30/95}
    Mohamad Thiaw (F) {1/24/95}
    Kevin Partida (M) {3/10/95}

Not Under Contract
    Leandro Barrera (M) (Argentine) {2/22/91} [$100K]
    Marc Pelosi # 33 (M) {6/17/94) [75K]

Retired?
    Marvell Wynne # 4 (D) {5/8/86} [$257.1K]

CURRENT SALARY TOTAL for 2018 the cap is was approximately $4,035,000, and our overall salary is unknown. Note: Some player's salaries were likely bought down this year with allocation money, and this cost is not represented in the figure above. The 2017 figures above were used to calculate our cap, rounding up to the nearest thousand from the union's released salaries from April 2017. Part of Wondo's salary (TAM) has been bough down and he has since signed a new multi-year contract in 2016. Hyka, Jungwirth & Hoesen signing also used TAM in 2017.

Allocations, Slots, Rights, & Trades
    Allocations
    ***We received allocation money for Darwin Cerin fron Houston, for David Bingham from LAG and for Urena in the Expansion Draft: $250k in GAM, $175k in TAM, and $100k of conditional GAM in 2019***

Trades, waivers, losses
    ---* CEREN - to Houston for $175k in allocation money and $50k based on performance - 1/19/18
    ---* BINGHAM - to the Galaxy for up to $250k in allocation money - 12/18/17
    ---* COLVEY - Selected by Rapids in the Waiver Draft - 12/13/17
    ---* MFEKA - Signed by Reno 1868 - 12/13/17
    ---* URENA - Selected by LAFC in the Expansion Draft- 12/12/17
    ---* FRANCIS - to Montreal for their 2nd round draft pick or $50,000 in GAM. - 7/13/17.
    ---* General Allocation Money from New England for the 2nd place Allocation spot and either TAM or TAM and GAM for the 2018 season - 7/3/17.

Slots
    ---* DP's - Wondolowski, Dawkins and Qazaishvili occupy a DP slot, so all slots are currently occupied.
    ---* We currently have no open INT slots. We have eight slots, and all eight of those slots are occupied and more (Godoy, Dawkins, Cummings, Hyka, Jungwirth, Hoesen, Qazaishvili, Affolter, Qwiberg, Erikson & Quintana = INT).

Rights
    ---* 12th on the allocation list.
    ---* All of our 2019 Superdraft picks.
    ---* All of our 2019 Waiver Draft and Re-Entry Draft picks.
    ---* Lottery eligible for the 2018 season.
    ---* We hold Olmes Garcia's MLS rights.
    ---* Still hold Yannick Djalo's MLS rights.
    ---* Still hold Jaime Alas' MLS rights.
    ---* We hold the right to Bryan Jordan, acquired in the re-entry draft on 12/14/12.
    ---* We hold the rights to these unsigned MLS draftees: Christian Thierjung & Auden Schilder through 2018 and Marie, Musovski, and Thiaw through 2019.​

Staff
    * Tom Fox (President)
    * Jared Shawlee (Chief Operating Officer)
    * Jesse Fioranelli (General Manager)
    * Mikael Stahre(Head Coach)
    * Steve Ralson (Assistant Coach)
    * Alex Covelo (Assistant Coach)
    * Alex de Crook (Assistant Coach)
    * Jyri Nieminen (Goalkeeper Coach)
    * Chris Leitch (Technical Director)​

SSVCF
    SSV
    centerlinesoccer

markmcf8 repped this.
  15. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So 3 spots left for 4 draft picks. I’m hopeful for all of them, although preseason games could change my mind. But if they’re all good enough that the organization retains interest, someone goes to Reno for the whole season. I hope not and Dawkins’ “chance” is just preseason and it’s his being bought out that gets us back to 30. Or he’s loaned to Reno. I wonder if that’s ever been done before...loaning a DP to USL. He’s really too expensive for Reno but who knows maybe we do the unexpected. Simon still gets to play and be a veteran leader for a young team. But if they like the 4 draft picks, I think not doing a season long loan for any of them creates more flexibility.

Then maybe Godoy has a green card...we could hope. And maybe it’s only 1 intl slot we’d have left to trade for.

markmcf8 repped this.
  16. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    At the chalk talk Jesse was asked about the INT Slots. He gave a non-answer answer as to how, but said we are roster compliant. This might be that we will be compliant since English is his second language, but liked his quiet confidence.

NedZ and don gagliardi repped this.
  17. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they are changing the number of intl slots for the coming season, but I have trouble believing that given how much over the years that this MLS is about developing the American player.

18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are most certainly NOT. MLS can't just do that. That's not how that works.

Obviously they will be compliant through a combination of players getting green cards, players who take up international spots getting loaned out, or the team buying an international spot or two from another MLS team. Almost certainly it's 2 if not 3 guys getting green cards. That should not surprise anyone, in fact it's long overdue. Dawkins and Godoy would be the prime candidates.

I'm not sure why certain people keep worrying about this and speculating wildly...

Jesse said they made signings knowing how many international spots they'd have, with the planning beginning last fall. He said they're complaint and that it's not a problem.

Does anyone think Jesse is lying, or that he's such an incompetent GM that the Quakes roster won't be compliant by the deadline?

alexiskool1991 and markmcf8 repped this.
  19. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They’ve done it before and I don’t think the rules for this season are published yet.

20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    International roster slots are a certain number per team obviously, but that number is based on "less than X percentage or total roster spots", and the total number of roster spots per MLS team (it's currently 30) can be changed by MLS and has changed a few times over the years. But the overall percentage is not set by MLS, it's set by US Soccer, as they are setting the league standards and basically saying "you need to give at least this much opportunity to domestic players". And it's not something MLS can just fiddle with in their rules for the 2018 season like the amount of TAM each team gets. If MLS could change the percentage we'd probably have 20 international spots out of 30 total roster spots by now. I guess MLS could change the total number of roster spots for 2018, but the odds of that happening seem very low, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say same number of total roster spots (30) and international roster spots (8) in 2018... I have no interest in debating this further but if you'd like to place a $$ bet on it let me know.

21. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There’s no reason to debate, it’s just one of the possible ways a problem could get solved and I believe I started originally with I didn’t think it was going to happen. I was actually talking about being able to sign the draft picks and make a total roster of 30. And the intl slot thing only came up only in the context loaning Dawkins solves problems. The reason it bothers me a bit to say it must be green cards that solves the intl slots issue, is why wouldn’t they just announce it if it’s that—why the secrecy?

22. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't like to announce things until they are done.

They'll get the int slots straightened out. And if I were going to bet, I'd bet that they either get dudes green cards, or some of them already have green cards, and it's just a question of MLS catching up.

I do like that MLS is a domestic league with mostly domestic players. Our Nats need the development system.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, on the league level MLS has a day by which rosters need to be compliant, and on the media level mlssoccer.com has a day they'll put up the 2018 rosters.
    Neither of those things have happened yet.

24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since these have been a popular topic...

25. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember back in the day when RSL sold one of it's international slots indefinitely. I suspect the league retroactively invalidated that deal and put a number of seasons limit on it, but I guess I don't know.

Regarding the posted costs, I suspect that's changing now because of supply and demand.