Semi-Official 2018 San Jose Earthquakes Roster Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by jetdog9, Nov 27, 2017.

1. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 jetdog9, Nov 27, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    https://www.sjearthquakes.com/post/...s-announce-roster-moves-ahead-2018-mls-season

Well, for those of you that wanted to free Kip Colvey, he's free....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The San Jose Earthquakes announced today that the club has exercised 2018 contract options on five players: goalkeepers Matt Bersano and Andrew Tarbell, and midfielders Fatai Alashe, Darwin Ceren and Anibal Godoy.

The Earthquakes will not exercise options on seven players: defenders Victor Bernardez and Kip Colvey, midfielders Cordell Cato, Lindo Mfeka, Marc Pelosi and Matheus Silva, and forward Danny Hoesen.

The following players are under contract for the 2018 season: defenders Francois Affolter, Harold Cummings, Nick Lima and Florian Jungwirth, midfielders Simon Dawkins, Jahmir Hyka, Shea Salinas, Tommy Thompson, Vako and Jackson Yueill, and forwards Quincy Amarikwa, Marco Ureña and Chris Wondolowski.

The following players are not under contract for the 2018 season: goalkeeper David Bingham and defenders Andres Imperiale and Kofi Sarkodie. "

2. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the F?

Transaction: San Jose Earthquakes (MLS) – Earthquakes will exercise 2018 contract options on GK Matt Bersano, GK Andrew Tarbell, M Fatai Alashe, M Darwin Ceren and M Anibal Godoy.

We get rid of Kinnear, yet the Quakes feel the need to keep all three of Alashe, Ceren, Godoy?? We should keep maybe one of them - Godoy. Alashe is backup at best, and Ceren is a negative player and not good enough. Why the hell keep him?

What the F part two?

Transaction: Earthquakes will not exercise 2018 contract options on D Victor Bernardez, D Kip Colvey, M Cordell Cato, M Lindo Mfeka, M Marc Pelosi, M Matheus Silva and F Danny Hoesen.

Jesus what does Colvey have to do to get a look with this team? They sure do love using him as a tool to promote ticket sales (Look! That kid who's on the Quakes is playing for the New Zealand national team!), but keep him relegated to Reno (which had an awesome year and he was a good part of that), but we apparently can do better. Yeah, just like we didn't need Justin Morrow at left back either.

Otherwise, it's time for Bernardez to hang them up, Cato shouldn't have had a spot on this team for years, the other guys are too injured or not good enough. Oh well.

By the way -

Simon Dawkins still on contract for 2018?? Uggggh... Thanks Doyle! You incompetent moron!

markmcf8, bsman and Beerking repped this.
  3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Earthquakes will not exercise options on seven players: defenders Victor Bernardez and Kip Colvey, midfielders Cordell Cato, Lindo Mfeka, Marc Pelosi and Matheus Silva, and forward Danny Hoesen.​

Does that mean they're not going to try to bring Hoesen back?
    I'm more surprised by Mfeka than Colvey, but I don't see a reason to give up on either of those guys, given their age, potential, and how little they make.

The Quakes need to eat his contract and bring in another DP. They can do that with one contract per year under MLS rules and not have it count against the salary cap.

markmcf8 and QuietType repped this.
  4. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Very disappointed about Colvey. After some promising showings with the first team, including his one chance this year, they just didn't give him much of a chance. And instead we played sub-mediocre players like Sarkodie and Francis. I don't see it as a renegotiating tactic because he was probably at a very low salary. If the rumors about Anthony Hudson and CO are true, I'd be surprised if he didn't end up there. But the Quakes could have re-signed him and traded him, I would imagine.

Same with Mfeka. Always looked like he belonged with the first team, and had some great moments in Reno. Hoesen is the only other puzzler. I didn't know they had an option on him. I thought it was a one-year loan? And I think Robert Jonas or Jeff Carlisle or someone was reporting that they there working on bringing him back. Maybe they are declining because they are looking for something more substantial - a longer term deal.

5. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we saw what we could get from Hoesen, which wasn't terrible but wasn't great either. My guess is they want to bring in a DP forward, so just anticipating him not being a starter and just clear up some roster space. I'm fine with that decision - if indeed they intend to bring in an upgrade in terms of a DP there.

6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Most likely they are still working on some kind of deal for Danny.

markmcf8 and SoccerIsOurLife repped this.
  7. GrayBeard

GrayBeard Member+

May 9, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Hoesen was on loan.

8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Maybe there was an option deal riding on the end of the loan, and the Quakes want to bring him back, but on different terms. That's the only thing I can guess at this point. Fans tend to read "we don't want the player" into these declined option things, but it is not necessarily that.

markmcf8 repped this.
  9. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only move that really bothers me is picking up the option on Ceren. Hes not worth the money, isnt good enough.

markmcf8 and QuietType repped this.
  10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Kip Colvey will end up in Colorado. 2018 MLS All-Star squad.

markmcf8, QuietType and Beerking repped this.
  11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    "Newcomer" of the Year.

QuietType repped this.
  12. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Ok...Not sure I like the direction this is going but I'll bide my time.....for now.

bsman repped this.
  13. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well, we only have half the equation so far, so I'm with Beerking. Let's wait until we see who they ADD before we get in a snit.

Beerking and lazlo325 repped this.
  14. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like it could be a done deal. He resigned as NZ's coach and this article has him heading to Colorado to ink a 3-year deal.
    https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/spo...sign-head-coach-deal-major-league-soccer-club

Colvey could indeed end up with the Rapids.

Beerking and bsman repped this.
  15. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Declining an option is not the same as "getting rid of". It does give both parties an opportunity to work on a new contract with a "clean slate". Provided both parties want to hold talks. Everyone always assumes it is the teams the make the decision to decline an option. I'm sure there are players who have told teams " I don't care if you do pick up my option I do not want to stay with this team" So some team will appease the player and not pick up the option.

16. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yep, A couple of these guys might be back...just means the Quakes thought the option money overvalued the player...maybe Muma?

Great to see the Quakes value Fatai...smart move.

17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Fatai's salary appears to not yet have been "all Doyled up". (If Doyle had been around for another season, I could see it going into the $200k's). He's at around $100k. Even if he is only depth at this point, that is a reasonable salary to pay for a player like Fatai. And he still has the upside to grab a regular starting spot again, either at CDM or back line.

18. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #18 staudio, Nov 27, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Hope the tweet put out by Carlise is true that SJEQ are trying to bring Hoesen back....

Also maybe Mikael Stahre has some hidden gems in Sweden he hopes to bring over.......

Tough time of year when you see players you like (for me guys like Wynne and Andreas) probably being gone for good when you know in the long run it's best for the team....heck I still wish a healthy (and younger) Ronnie O'Brien and Hucks were still around....

natenate101 repped this.
  19. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Guys, these are contract negotiations in play, with the announcement required per league rules. Otherwise we wouldn't be hearing about them. The idea is this; the Quakes have figured out a 'value' that each player brings. If that value is less than the contract option price, they decline the option and renegotiate. It doesn't mean they don't want the player in some cases. It means that they don't want the player at the contract option price. We have no idea what that price is, since nobody releases those numbers.

And conversely, the players they picked up the option, say Fatai, they may not even want to keep. But they feel he has trade value higher than the contact option price, so they pick up the option and later trade him for a left back or something else that they need.

In other words, you can't get too twisted up over these announcements until it all plays out.

DotMPP, Seismothusiast, bsman and 2 others repped this.
  20. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    One thing I don't understand is do the Quakes retain Colvey (or others) MLS rights, or do they forfeit those rights when the decline the option. Anyone know the answer to that?

21. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    We're running pretty low on international spots so we can't expect a boatload of Swedes coming over to save us.

markmcf8 repped this.
  22. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really the saving type.
    [​IMG]

JazzyJ, markmcf8, Trudge and 2 others repped this.
  23. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They'll be available to the Expansion Draft (theoretically some of them could still be placed on the protected list, but I'd assume not) and after that those with over 3 years MLS experience will be in the Re-Entry Draft.

24. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Pillaging. More like pillaging. Not what we want, necessarily.

Beerking repped this.
  25. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    markmcf8 and don gagliardi repped this.