Semi-Finals: Portland Thorns FC at FC Kansas City Aug 23, 2014

Discussion in 'KC Current' started by Forgedias, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    FC Kansas City projected roster:

Goalkeepers: Nicole Barnhart, Sara Keane
    Defenders: Becky Saurbrunn, Nikki Phillips, Leigh Ann Robinson, Amy LePeilbet
    Midfielders: Lauren Holiday, Jen Buczkowski, Jenna Richmond, Frances Silva, Erika Tymrak, Katrina Gorry, Mandy Laddish
    Forwards: Liz Bogus, Amy Rodriguez, Morgan Marlborough, Sarah Hagen

NWSL injury report:

OUT: None
    DOUBTFUL: None
    QUESTIONABLE: None
    PROBABLE: Nicole Barnhart (right ankle sprain), Kassey Kallman (left ankle sprain)

Portland Thorns FC projected roster:

Goalkeepers: Nadine Angerer, Michelle Betos
    Defenders: Rachel Van Hollebeke, Emily Menges, Stephanie Catley , Sarah Huffman
    Midfielders: Veronica Boquete, Amber Brooks, Allie Long, Tobin Heath, Angie Kerr, Meleana Shim, Sinead Farrelly, Rebecca Moros
    Forwards: Alex Morgan, Christine Sinclair, Jessica McDonald, Jackie Acevado, Elisabeth Sullivan

NWSL injury report:

OUT: Courtney Niemiec (right medial tibial stress syndrome), Kat Tarr (left knee meniscus surgery), Nikki Marshall (right knee surgery)
    DOUBTFUL: None
    QUESTIONABLE: Stephanie Catley (left midfoot sprain), Sinead Farrely (internal medical matter)
    PROBABLE: None

Projected Starting XI for FC Kansas City: (4-4-2, Box Midfield)

[​IMG]

This is probably the formation that I think Andonovski will use. 2 holding midfielders, but that does leave more space for teams to operate in the middle of the pitch since we are keeping 2 forwards high. This does tend to allow teams more time on the ball and in some cases more chances on goal. But this formation does allow the use of both Hagen and Rodriguez on the field at the same time.

Projected Starting XI for FC Kansas City: (4-2-3-1)

[​IMG]

In my opinion, the better defensively sound formation for the Blues to use. Same 2 holding midfielders, but with the extra midfielder, would allow the Blues to outnumber the other team in the middle of the pitch and choke of service to the forwards. With Hagen playing up top, able to hold up play and play off with any of the midfielders to set up runs. Safest formation for the Blues to uses.

Projected Starting XI for the Portland Thorns FC (4-2-3-1)

[​IMG]

This is the formation they used against Seattle, it may not be the one they use againt Kansas City, they could go back to their 4-4-2 diamond midfield. But going with the safer line up choice. Sarah Huffman takes over Center back duties after the season ending injury to Nikki Marshall. Emily Menges will play right back

Match Overview:

So this is the second time Kansas City and Portland will meet in the semi finals and Portland again is the visiting team. Kansas City last year took a 2-0 lead into the match before Portland would quickly mount a come back and score 3 goals to take the win and break a lot of hearts at Kansas City.

With all the fire power and star power that Portland has, it has been a struggle for them to bring it all together and have them all play under one system. Coach Riley's system is very hard to understand since before Vero Boquete, it was hard to see where the offense was being generated. The system used quite a bit of long balls to move the ball up and a lot of individual play from players which didn't help in the build up, so goals tended to be very hard to come by for the team. Then Boquete joins the team and this changed quickly for the Thorns. It became very apparent that the offense needed to go through Boquete if Portland were going to generate any pressure into the box. Boquete was the general and her ability to hold onto the ball and use her vision to create space for her team mates was very instrumental in some of their wins to get them into the playoffs. It was at this time that Christine Sinclair who was having a horrible season with 2 goals until then, started producing and started providing more goal production. With Boquete feeding and now Alex Morgan back in form. The Portland offense look to be firing on all cylinders.

The one worry for Portland is their defense. With 3 backs now out with season ending injuries, its getting mighty thin back there for depth. Sarah Huffman who has played center back should probably be slotting back in there and rookie Emily Menges will take over the right back slot. Its this back line that we could see problems for Portland as Kansas City could try exploiting this to their advantage.

Kansas City on the other hand have an interesting dilemma, do they start in their 4-4-2? or do they go back to their tried and true 4-2-3-1 formation. The 4-4-2 has not been the most defensively sound formation as illustrated by the 7-1 beat down that Portland gave to Kansas City. I'm still a bit shell shocked from that experience, since I remember the horror I felt watching the Blues implode. Something I never want to see again. But it has to be said that it does allow the Blues to start Hagen and Rodriguez up top. But in a one game shoot out contest, defense matters much more since its imperative that the club hold the opposing teams chances down and the 4-4-2 simply doesn't do that.

Going with a 4-2-3-1 formation, I would see Rodriguez sitting on the bench, she shouldn't be used as a wing midfielder since she simply doesn't defend. She is actually a pretty bad defender. Merrit Mattias would probably be a good option on the right wing since she is a very good defensive player but lacks any imagination on the attack. Frances Silva is my preferred choice out there but I am not sure Andonovski will start her there. Silva does back track to mark players and with her technical skills with the ball at her feet and her creativity, she would be a big asset in the middle of the pitch. With 5 midfielders, the Blues can play their pressure the middle of the pitch defense and clog the middle up and prevent any link ups to the dangerous Portland forwards. Limiting touches will limit scoring chances and the Blue would also retain possession more and be able to pressure the injury plagued Portland back line.

We'll see on game day, but hoping to see the Blues come out on top. Good luck!

2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgedias, Sullivan is long gone from the team. They actually added Hanna Terry recently as a forward.

Huffman generally does not play center back. She plays on the outside. If Catley cannot play, I suspect we'll see Moros as an outside defender. Van H and Menges in the inside. I'm expecting a 4-2-3-1, but I wouldn't be surprised to see something completely different.

3. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Menges is a rookie, you sure about that? If she played center back all season, then I could see that happening. Thanks on the update on Sullivan, I don't keep track of the roster that closely, and use the NWSL site for that.

I believe Huffman when she was at Western New York last season was a center back. I just think it would be safer if she slotted into that position with her experience over a rookie like Menges.

4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could surprise me. But, I don't think I've seen Huffman play center back all year. That's not a dis on her, just that she's done really well as an outside back. I guess we'll know in about 9 hours.

This is an intriguing game. I wonder how the psych factor will work. For the Thorns, I think they go into the game feeling like they have nothing to lose, they weren't supposed to be here in the first place (the recent first place). For FCKC, they're the #2 team and are supposed to win and, "Oh no, don't tell me here we go again." How those psycho-dynamics work will be interesting to see. Not to speak of the fatigue factor from the Scotland game.

5. CometsFan

CometsFan Member

Nov 15, 2010
    As always forgedias, excellent work. With the weather that's expected today, I think we may see a different lineup than what you posted. Last year in the heat, the team wilted down the stretch. I wouldn't be surprised if they return to the 4-2-3-1 lineup with ARod up top and Hagen on as a 2nd half sub. Two solid offensive players who can be fresh when needed in the 100+ degree heat.

6. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Thanks CometsFan for the insider info. I wonder who will start at right wing (Gorry? Mathias?)and if Kallman or LePeilbet will start in the defensive line. Seems like both coaches are going conservative...could be a game of who makes the least amount of mistakes.

7. CometsFan

CometsFan Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Went to practice the other day and Mathias looked really good. I expect she'll get starting nod. Also expect Kallman to start. In talking with him, Ando is excited to have depth this year if the heat becomes too much of a factpr

FCKCEvans repped this.
  8. FCKCEvans

FCKCEvans Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Interesting all that experimentation the last few weeks only to go back to what made them most impressive. I'm so excited for this game!

CometsFan repped this.
  9. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012

10. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012

11. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    21' Beautiful back heel by Tymrak would allow Tymrak to make a quick turn and Menges body tackles her to the ground, getting a yellow for it.

12. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    23' Kallman goes 1v1 again Heath and blocks to attempted crosses. Great individual defending, and defended Sinclair well.

13. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    26' Bit too many long balls from the back line, just keep it on the ground and give it to Holiday and let her dictate play.

14. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    27' Holiday would actually give up a bad turn over back passing, Morgan would intercept it but Phillips would block the shot that came just outside the 18 yard box

15. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    29' Wow Rodriguez would get a 1v1 on Angerer and an angle, but a decent chance and she would shoot high over the cross bar. Needs to at least force Angerer to make the save.

16. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    30' cooling break. Dunno how hot it is out there but I guess it must be over 80 degrees

17. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ok its over 100 degress, they showed the temp.

18. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    36' Holiday sends Rodriguez off on another 1v1 on Angerer, Rodriguez is forced to shoot and Angerer makes a parry save

19. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    37' Holiday, turns and fires right at Angerer, just outside the box.

20. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    39' Long from behind Tymrak would slide tackle and take Tymrak down. She got the ball, but she sweeped Tymrak off feet. Richmond and Buczkowski are returning the favor on Boquete and getting physical with her whenever she gets the ball.

21. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    42' ARGGGGHHH!! Rodriguez... Tymrak gave her a perfect ball and she made a run, all she had to do is send a through ball and she was wide open for a clean look on goal. Instead she chips it over the defense and tries to get to Holiday and Angerer easily comes out to prevent any dangerous shot.

22. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    47' Menges took down Rodriguez in the box. That has to be a penalty. She tripped Rodriguez who had the ball and turned on her.

23. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    49' close call, Boquete would shot a steep angled shot with Kallman and Buczkowski guarding her and would actually beat Barnhart and hit the cross bar. Close call

24. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ok that replay showed that Rodriguez stumbled, so the no call was fair

25. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Half time observations:

-Very defensive first half. With 2 holding midfielders on each side, its become a slugfest on who can break the other defense down. Long has been very physical, taking down Tymrak and some close fouls elsewhere. Buczkowski and Richmond have been swarming Boquete whenever she has the ball, one or sometimes both if she is in the middle of the pitch will be marking her. She is always marked by the Blues.

-Kallman has been playing exceptional defense on the flanks, blocked 2 attempted crosses by Heath just outside the box on a 1v1 defending and also 1v1 defended Sinclair near the box as well.

-Rodriguez had 2 1v1's, both contested with a defender on her side, so she couldn't sit in the middle of the pitch and shoot without some pressure, but they were both 1v1's and Rodriguez missed high on one shot and forced Angerer to make a good parry save with her other shot. She could of freed Tymrak on a clear break away but you could see her thinking, sending a through ball was just not in the picture for her. If it was Hagen, Hagen would of sent that through ball through. Difference between a holding forward and a straight line player like Rodriguez in their thinking.

-Vero Boquete is where the offense moves, anytime the ball doesn't touch Boquete, the Portland offense struggles to build. Its very wise to be as physical as possible against Boquete.