Select Team First Time Parent

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by MonagHusker, Aug 14, 2017.

1. MonagHusker

MonagHusker Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2016
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer is quickly becoming a passion of mine. Aside from a little FIFA here or some more Football Manager there, I really didn't get into the game until fairly recently. I didn't play nor hold any real interest outside of a World Cup or something. I somewhat arbitrarily selected a club to follow last season (Liverpool) and I've been hooked ever sense.

I have six children. All of them had at least a season or two of micro soccer, but the game didn't take root in my oldest son (football and basketball for him) or my oldest daughter (volleyball). Our next three, all girls, have played multiple seasons of soccer.

The oldest of the soccer playing girls made a "select" team over the summer. It's connected to the rec league she plays in; it's in its infancy and there is a definite attempt to keep costs down; I don't know how many girls went out -- she made the team, but it was small amount. So far the experience has been great -- lots of practices so far and the season is a couple weeks away.

I don't really even know where to start. I think I want to find some kindred spirits or people to chat with about this experience or their own. The Liverpool forum, connected to their main site, I frequent isn't much for off-topic, especially coming from an American without a lot of insight to offer.

bigredfutbol and lncolnpk repped this.
  2. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Welcome, to the wonderful, yet often frustrating, world of youth soccer….I think you’ll find lots of kindred spirits in this forum…we chat, we commiserate, we solve all the problems effecting youth soccer…we sometimes even agree…;)

bigredfutbol and MonagHusker repped this.
  3. MonagHusker

MonagHusker Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2016
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks!

I have a lot of little things that come up that I don't want to necessarily go to the coach on or other parents.

The idea behind the person putting it together is to make an affordable option, so it will be interesting how it plays out. We have got quite a few practices in...

1) We were surprised by the # of games her rec team has this upcoming season. She has 9 of those (no tournaments). She has 6 regular season select games, plus more out of pocket tournament games. In the end she will have more select, but is that unusual or the norm?

Is select more about practice and player development, so sometimes you may not have a ton of games?

2) For those that have dealt with select (or not affiliated through school, etc.):. How do you encourage team building / friendships when you have people from other schools. Similarly, what about when your select teammate becomes your rec opponent? How do you stop from hating the parents too...lol. ;)

4. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When my daughter went to a new team, we bit the bullet and had a team sleep over (or a late over if their parents were uncomfortable). It went over really well and the team (and parents) bonded instantly.

And with social media now, my daughter (12 yr old) is never out of contact with her teammates
    even though they are spread over 5 towns and 6 school districts.

5. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    We do roller/ice skating, movies and laser tag - the latter is a very good team building experience if you are at a place that runs different missions over a 2-3 hour period.

As far as social media - dear god be careful. We've had issues with that for sure. My daughter has my old work phone which is a Note 5 but she has no plan. I have see to many bad issues pop up from school and soccer because of social media. I have also banned them from being on the phones in my car.

3 years ago they would talk - sing together and so on. Last year my kid felt alone because everyone was just on their damn phone.

Social media can be counter productive in this case.

NewDadaCoach and bigredfutbol repped this.
  6. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If and when you travel….hotel stays (swimming, hanging in the lobby, etc) and group meals on the road are great for team bonding….that and the occasional birthday is all the outside of soccer team bonding we ever did…

Because of club soccer, my Freshmen son has friends, (current and ex-teammates) spread over a good half dozen different schools….

7. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    So regarding group meals... At group dinners where everyone is on a seperate check, have the waiter/waitress go off your players jersey# in order to keep the parents and player on the right order.

This ususally works good because the players typically sit at different tables then the adults.

8. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if you are in St Louis for a tournament, never order the St Louis style pizza for the kids. They won't eat it

Quayle, WrmBrnr and mwulf67 repped this.
  9. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    And if you're ever playing on or near Wheaton/Naperville Illinois - try Warrens Ale House!

mwulf67 repped this.
  10. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #10 mwulf67, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    Yes….that’s how we do it…separate tables for kids and adults, separate checks, full bar ;)… coordinating and making reservations can be a pain, but usually well worth it….

With smaller groups (3-5 families), delivery pizza in the hotel lobby can be be fun....

11. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Yeah one night out and then pizza in. We have found that most hotels will turn on the lights in their breakfest room and allow us to use there plasticware and so on.

In fact we never had an issue with that.

I usually bring a bottle of Laphroiag however with my older one - we'd play tourneys in the summer and I am pretty sure everyone was drinking vodka-lemonades on the sidelines.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  12. MonagHusker

MonagHusker Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2016
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a thought that ran through our head, but we really don't have the house for it and we tend to be the ones that help rather than plan something like that.

The time that probably worked best was during the parents meeting when the girls would told they could have a snack and go outside. My daughter isnt the most extroverted, especially with new people, hoping for something that gets them all talking.

13. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to the world of travel soccer parenting!

My days are behind me but I vaguely remember...

MonagHusker repped this.
  14. TheKraken

TheKraken Member

United States
    Jun 21, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those same insulated, metal coffee mugs make great incognito mixed drink receptacles. I have a nice big one that coffee never sets foot in.

VolklP19 and WrmBrnr repped this.
  15. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    That's funny because I was discussion this over the weekend with some friends regarding State Parks and how they refuse to allow alcohol. When I was 30+ they would make us dump it out if they found it - and we were a very low key group. Everyone had dogs and some kids so it was more so along the lines of family camping then a party.

In any case we starting using coffee mugs and that worked great but when it was hot out that ice melted quick and the beer warmed up in minutes.

These new insulated cups are awesome!

16. Quayle

Quayle Member

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    As a resident of the local St Louis area, I concur if you're referring to Imo's. That stuff is embarrassing to pizza lovers, BUT there are plenty of awesome pizza joints in the area.

17. MonagHusker

MonagHusker Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2016
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife is from St. Louis and her family still lives there. We probably three to four trips to your city a year. We almost have Imo's everytme...so I am wondering if we are the only ones that like it! :)

lncolnpk repped this.
  18. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it was Imo's. I didn't mind it at all.