Seleção Sub-teams thread [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Catracho_Azul, Nov 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That and the U-17 WC. The 2011 U-17 was carried by ADRYAN to the semifinals of the WC. When you look at that team, Marquinhos is the only one that panned out. What did this squad do in the U-20? They failed miserably in the South American U-20 and didn't qualify for the WC. There's a pretty sizeable gap between U-17 and U-20.....

Radu Razvan and Emperor Adriano repped this.
  2. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yea.. Vickery even said he refuses to watch u17 now lol.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  3. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    U-19 and up is when I personally start paying attention. Anything below that is a total crapshoot.

4. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Agreed. I haven't watched U-17 with the same frequency as before. In the past, we actually had very promising talents coming out and I wanted to see them. Flamengo also gets a fair share of U-17 call ups for not producing anyone half decent since Renato Augusto (ex-Leverkusen). That was another reason why I watched, hoping someone would actually turn out decent. After watching Adryan and Mattheus (Bebeto's son), I said enough was enough.

5. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I'm not always right. Naturally. No one is.
    Besides - the tournament isn't over yet.

6. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What odds do you give Nigeria advancing? 40%? 50%?

7. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Don't forget Caio Rangel e Douglas Baggio lol.

8. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I'll let you know when I see the squad :) Manu Garba is having some man-management issues coupled with manic-depressive bouts with regards to how he should set up the team. After the Brasil game he benched 3 of his 'star players' and is playing utility wingers in their stead.

9. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #884 Mengão86, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    Seems like a lot of self-inflicted issues for what was considered a good youth coach.

I'm afraid there aren't many scenarios where you would bench your best player, let alone your top 4 players, especially at the youth level. He should be able to find space for two. If you can't adjust your tactics to fit in some of your best players, you're not a good coach. Now if you told me that they have been disrespectful to the coach, skipped out on training and the like, I could understand.

10. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Sounds like stereotypical insert African team issue to me.

11. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    #886 zahzah, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    To some extent. Garba apparently is incorruptible. but seems likes he panicked after being surprised by a loss.

Well... he is. But he also lacks experience. Question is - how will he cope with the steep learning curve?

The coach went back to the players with whom he has been training for months. The guys who won him the AYC. They aren't as effective in attack, but they work defensively a whole lot more (they score much less goals).

Nothing of the sort.
    Garba seems to have been unable to mentally cope with the loss. First he changed his 4-3-3 system to accomodate four star players in the starting line-up and did a 4-2-4, instead of sticking with what he said he would do (progressively introduce the late incomers of Success, Yahaya, Iheanacho and Simon into the squad). Then he went and played a reactionary squad vs the likes of Hungary and North Korea.

Its not like these players are unfamiliar with Manu Garba's tactics. Iheanacho, Success and Yahaya worked just fine in the exact same system during the U17 World Cup.

Garba's tactics so far have been a huge let-down. Especially since he threw out his own recipe for success out the window in the first game.

---

For case in point: Prior to the World Cup Iheanacho, Success and Yahaya (the benched players) played vs Sokari, Bulbwa and Saviour (the current starting XI players) in a team A / team B type of matchup. The first squad thrashed the second 6:0 with Iheanacho scoring 3 goals, Success 2 and Yahaya 1.

12. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    MuyiwaLawal announces an unchanged starting XI for the Germany game (ergo 4 star players on the bench and 2 utility wingers taking their place + a useless CMin Ideanyi). I officially refrain from having an opinion on this match, its outcome or the percentage chance of Nigeria. I'll watch the game and hope for the bast.

13. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You can at least explain to us what happened to Ghana. And congrats on getting to Africans to advance. Not sure about that third ;)

14. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I don't think anything happened to Ghana. I think it had more to do with mali and the fact that they normally do not fear African opposition, came with a positive attitude and some nice attacking flair. Ghana also tends to struggle vs Senegal or Mali. I Think it's safe to say Mali just played a tremendous game. And scored three SUPERB goals, all of them from team not individual brilliance.

Whatever happens we'll have more CAF teams than South America.

15. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Decent game but gritty...wouldn't expect anything less between Brazil v Uruguay on any level!! Have a feeling this one is going to penalties!!

Germany is beating Nigeria 1-0 for now and Portugal and host N. Zealand are tied at 1-1!! Uzbekistan shocks Austria 2-0!!!:eek:

16. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    I just woke up to watch this but I see Brazil 23 shoots to Uruguay 4. Also, 63% possession. Sound like we dominated but stats never tell the story.

17. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    In other news, the Nigeria that was going to steamroll the competition is eliminated.

18. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    They are not going to steamroll anyone if their star players play 90 minutes on the bench and the coach introduces a defensive midfielder in the 80th minute.

Manu Garba has trampled on his own footballing philosophy.

19. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Penalties, meh

20. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Considering how many goals we missed I'm pretty surprised we hit all 5 pks. Uruguay missed one, no saves. Next up Portugal.

21. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    We won the PK shootouts.

Btw, Jean should of saved one of those pens.

22. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  23. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    How has Jorge and Jaja looked?

24. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If things go to plan we could meet Germany in the Final!!

25. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Jorge has looked solid in the back. Jaja has been decent as well when he comes on.