Seleção Sub-19

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by JoseEmidio, Mar 16, 2017.

1. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  2. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Germany got to the final because they didn't have to face Portugal and we got kicked out because UEFA decided to be Concacaf for a tournament.

They are stagnant and relying on reputation from how they have been playing, way too much respect is shown to them.

3. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Germany has 4 WCs, 3 Euros, and 1 Confederation Cup. They are the reigning World and Confederation Cup Champions. Of course they will receive respect. Their youth teams still compete well. Germany is probably the main favourite for the WC 2018 and they also top the FIFA world Ranking.

Spain, talent wise and depth is still the best and is arguably the class of europe. I see them winning a second world cup in the next 2-4 WCs. Their football overall is just dominant.

Portugal is doing well but we cagou a lot at youth level. Even though Ronaldo got injured in the Euro 2016 final, he is IMO the main reason why we won b/c his winner and non-choking mentality rubbed off on the team. We cagoued final of U21 2015, Cagoued in u21 again, Cagoued in U20 World cup quarter finals on penalties two times in a row. Ronaldo doesn't shoot in confederations cup = CAGOU TUD. Portugal under normal conditions are natural chokers and cagou-prone. They will beat north korea, mexico, luxembourg, and probably netherlands at best and cagou when it matters against the big boys.

Ronaldo is the anti-cagou and the antithesis of the pessimistic choking Portuguese mentality. his mentality rubbed off on the rest of the team. Figo, Rui Costa, Eusebio, are all cagoes compared to CR7. that is why he is the GOAT.

4. patCOSTA

patCOSTA Member

Mar 30, 2005
    You're too positive... They won the Euro, so I'm happy with that and won't ever complain. I saw something my Great Grand Parents and Grand parents always wanted to see but never did. Tourneys take luck to win too, and those other Countries you mentioned live and breath soccer, that's just reality. Portugal is a small Country, for every one good player they have 10+. That said, with luck I see Portugal going far. They could have won the Confederation Cup, but In my book the manager put the wrong players. You need to ask "Who wants to take the kicks?" Cuz putting players with no confidence to shoot in corners where goaler has zero chance is a waste of a kick. That's the bad thing about this coach. They could have won Euro 2012 for the same reasons. Seems like your mentally needs to be checked too. Being so negative is why they lost in the past... You are doing the same. They are winners now regardless of what you say. They can win this U19, and World Cup next year. Takes health, skill, luck and depth... Also, calls from the refs. Flip a coin, or remove pk's and the winners of the last big 20 tournaments are probably all different.

JoseEmidio and verde-rubro repped this.
  5. Correia

Correia Member

Dec 5, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The game will be broadcast live on Uefa's Youtube channel at 12pm ET:

JoseEmidio repped this.
  6. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    yet another loss.

As usual at youth level, the team with more africans prevails due to them being more physically mature.

7. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  8. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    sucks, but then I remembered ........
    [​IMG]

9. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    FT: 1-2

10. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Considering most of the key players where u18 I thought this was a great result considering they played like shit.

11. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    They were shit. We need to stop glorifying losers.

12. f23eras

f23eras New Member

Real Madrid
    Portugal
    Jul 17, 2017
    1Xbet é um site novo, mas muito confiável. Ele é fácil de usar e vem provando ser uma casa de apostas estável e conveniente. Eles tem boas odds e ótimos opções de apostas. Você consegue encontrar tudo aqui, de futebol a rugby. A principal característica é que os pagamentos são instantâneos http://1xbet.plus/

13. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    The team didn't play especially well throughout the tournament and was average in the final, but it did reach the final and you could argue the result wasn't entirely indicative of how the match was played. England's winner came out of nowhere when it seemed like Portugal was likely to take the lead.

As for the idea that the players on the squad are "losers" because they were the second-best U-19 team in Europe, that is absurd. How does someone Portuguese have that mentality at this point in time? It's not ever easy to win a tournament - period.

I will say that one thing that stood out to me in the England match was Joao Queiros, but in a bad way. England nearly scored in the first half because he just jogged behind his man as if the guy was completely uninvolved in a play even though he was running toward goal waiting for a return pass. I watched that play in shock at what was happening. It was an absurd lack of effort and/or awareness that would've allowed an easy goal if not for a saving block from Diogo Dalot (who looked good). Then he almost single-handedly gave England the winner.

Portugal may have lacked some creativity, but it certainly wasn't outclassed. England scored on FK that easily could've been play-on and then on a bad giveaway/fortuitous deflection. Portugal was pretty calm and defended well outside of the somewhat fluky second goal. Diogo Costa deserves mention for solid play in goal for both the U-19 and U-20 teams this summer while still being just 17.

14. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    So you agree with what I said or are you criticising my rather brief but to the point assessment

15. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    If anything, I was responding to Z's overly negative assessment. I agree with you that the team didn't play all that well, but competitively losing a Euro final isn't exactly a sign of the apocalypse. It would've been nice to see the U19/20/21 teams produce a trophy this summer, but each showed flashes and legitimately could've/should've won the matches they lost. As we know, youth trophies guarantee nothing at the senior level. I don't think anyone is putting money on England in 2018 or 2022 because of U20 and U19 victories.

16. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    I figure we can recycle this thread since the 2018 U-19 Euro starts next week in Finland.

Portugal's in Group A along with Finland, Italy and Norway. England, France, Turkey and Ukraine are in Group B.

Mon., July 16 - Norway v. Portugal
    Thurs., July 19 - Portugal v. Italy
    Sun., July 22 - Portugal v. Finland

Here's the roster listed on the FPF website:
    ARSENAL FC: João Virginia
    SL BENFICA SAD: Florentino, Nuno Santos, Mesaque Dju, João Filipe e José Gomes.
    DEPORTIVO DE LA CORUÑA: Pedro Correia;
    FC PORTO SAD: Diogo Costa e Diogo Queirós.
    FC SION: Nuno Henrique.
    SC BRAGA SAD: David Carmo, Francisco Moura e Trincão.
    RIO AVE FC SDUQ: Diogo Teixeira;
    SPORTING CP SAD: Elves Baldé; Thierry Correira e Miguel Luis.
    VITORIA SC SAD: Romain Correia.
    WEST HAM UTD:
    Domingos Quina.
    WOLVERHAMPTON: Rúben Vinagre.

vilafria and nbstriker8 repped this.
  17. Dan82

Dan82 Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Too bad we're missing some of our best players. We would have been the favorites to win it all if we were full strength, or at least one of the big favorites.

Hopefully we can still go deep without...Diogo Dalot, Diogo Leite, Gedson Fernandes, Joao Felix and Rafael Leao.

18. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Would have been nice to have gedson felix leao and embalo here. Dont see the team going very far. Diogo queiros is one of our only promising cb's

19. HandofAbel

HandofAbel Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jun 19, 2017
    eu estou aqui
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    2-0 over Norway at halftime. Goals from Trincao and Miguel Luis.

20. HandofAbel

HandofAbel Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jun 19, 2017
    eu estou aqui
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    3-1 final. Trincao with the brace.

21. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    #71 portugamerifinn, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    I only skimmed through the match this morning, but it looked like a nice start for Portugal. Florentino as defensive mid was very disruptive early, recovering possession lost by teammates frequently and creating the first goal, which was finished decisively by Trincao. It was the kind of goal we don't see enough of with the senior team. The second was one of those mishit, back-spinning crosses that flutters over the keepers head - it was lucky.

Naturally, Portugal failed to put the match away even though it was well in control. About five minutes after Jose Gomes side-footed a shot wide of an open net from just yards away, Norway got a goal back around the 80th minute on a play that was the cousin of Costa's opener for Spain a few weeks ago, forcing his was through three defenders and firing a shot in from about 15 yards.

Norway had a few chances to equalize, but nothing too dangerous. Portugal failed to score a 1v1 during injury time, but then a Balde dribble somehow found its way between a couple defenders and Trincao pounced to poke the loose ball past the keeper for the final scoreline.

I tried to keep an eye on Vinagre and he looks to be in the running for Portugal's next attacking LB. He's quick and plenty willing to attack all the way into the penalty area. Wolves signed him permanently from Monaco, so hopefully he gets some chances in the Premier League this season.

22. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Very sad to see what's going on with Jose Gomes. I watched bits of this past toulon tournament and today's game, and wow, his finishing is truly dreadful. Not sure he could score with the ball on the goal line and no keeper. Just 2 years ago he looked to be someone worth tracking.

23. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Many of the squad members were part of the team who won the under 17 euro in 2016. Hopefully they'll make up for the senior team disappointing WC.

24. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Not sure how much home field means at the youth level, but just watched Finland completely outplay Italy though Italy got the very undeserved win.

25. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    I'd assume home field is more important in a tournament like this when the host is a country that doesn't generally get to participate in tournaments. Finland's qualified for or hosted a few youth Euros, but that's it. It's a shame it didn't get at least a point today, but I'm glad it was a competitive match. Seeing Iceland have so much success in recent years has started to annoy me a little bit.

There's no excuse for Portugal to fail to win this group.