Seleção General Discussion, 2018 and beyond

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Century's Best, Jul 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And Gabigol talking about not renewing his contract with meu querido Mengao.
    GOD that pisses me off !!
    Every time a super team is built in Brasil, it gets dismantled, FUK !

2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    "Se for da vontade de Deu$, que eu fique" afirmou Gabigol no CT do Ninho do Urubu

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

3. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Always about money, but you can't really blame him. But I hope he remebers that his past two passagems in Europe, two complete years there, were failures with him staying on the bench most of the time. Blame the coaches ?

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Jury is still out. But you can also blame him. He has admitted his attitude was wrong and he has changed. He got there and felt entitled to a starting spot.

Don't blame him wanting to go to Europe because that's where the measuring stick is if you want to be among the best ... if not, at least you can still get good money.

Personally I don't see him at a top club in Europe. That's just my opinion.

5. Toguchi

Toguchi Member

Atlético Mineiro
    Brazil
    Dec 1, 2019
    Belo Horizonte
    Honestly, does anyone believe Gabigol will stand out for a top-tier team in Europe?

I'm asking because I have my doubts about this.

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Never bought into the hype in Brazil. Some were talking about Ballon d'Or :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

7. joudre

joudre Member

Jan 3, 2016
    See the full schedule[emoji1427] IMG_8888.jpg

8. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    So 2022 WCQ qualifying's draw came out, and it's a bit weird. In March 2020, there are only two matches (Brazil vs. Bolivia and Peru vs. Brazil). Then, two fixtures in September, October, and November each: vs Venezuela, at Uruguay, at Colombia, vs. Argentina, vs. Ecuador, at Paraguay. Venezuela is not the pushover it was, but Brazil should (and frankly, must) get those 3 home points before a two-match away sequence in Montevideo and (I assume) Barranquilla.

Brazil therefore must absolutely go into September with 6 points. Bolivia will bunker, and Peru is a solid but perfectly winnable opponent.

Looking at the entire qualifying schedule, the way the matches are scheduled, this may well be the most competitive and difficult CONMEBOL qualifying tournament ever.

joudre repped this.
  9. Estuardo A. Lopez

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Anyone following the SA Olympic Qualifying?
    F*ck it, I hope I'm wrong but Brazil may be about to Sh*it on another qualifying tournament.
    In order to be sure of qualification, Brazil must defeat Argentina (best team of the tournament) or if they tie the Argies, then Uruguay and Colombia must also tie.

10. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And we started out the tournament so well too.
    It will be a real shame if we don't go to the Olympics and what's harder to understand is why in the world only 2 south american teams ??

11. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Its a small tournament.

12. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    On the bright side, Brazil is unbeaten. A draw can get us to Tokyo, if the earlier match is a draw as well: the match vs. Argentina will be the final one of the tournament (Sunday night) and Uruguay (1 point) vs. Colombia (2 points). Both can technically qualify so it'll be a very competitive match. A draw favors Brazil, but I don't think a draw will happen; should that be the case, Brazil will have to win, and Argentina, while now champions and qualified, would love to end the tournament by defeating Brazil and thus keeping us out of the Olympics.

If there's a time the team needs to step up, it's now.

It will be disappointing indeed given Brazil did a lot better early in the tournament. But because Brazil has already won Olympic gold, it won't be the end of the world. It would be an uncomfortable end to a three-peat of Olympic appearances (2008-2016).

2 teams? Well, it's been that way almost the entire history of the modern Olympics. The 16-team format started in 1960 and South American participation only started in 1924, when Uruguay alone represented the continent (and won gold). In 1928, Uruguay and Argentina represented South America, with Uruguay winning again.

There was no football tournament at the 1932 Olympics; in 1936, there were 18 teams and only Peru represented South America. In 1948, 18 teams and no South Americans, followed by 25 teams and only Brazil (quarterfinalist) in 1952.

South America was wholly absent in 1956.

Then, in 1960, the 16-team format became permanent (minus a 14-team format in 1964). Brazil was there most times, with Colombia, Argentina, and Uruguay; in more recent times, Paraguay and Chile got there as well.

Given that the Olympic tournament allows for only 16 teams, the organizers partition berths according to confederations. UEFA gets 5. Perhaps CONMEBOL deserves 3, but someone would lose a berth. The 2-berth format for CONMEBOL has been around for decades now - it's most probably not going to change.

Thus, if Brazil wants to make it 4 straight Olympics, it needs to get the job on Sunday, and it will be quite difficult.

Estuardo A. Lopez and IVO ! repped this.
  13. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Wasn't a small tournament to us when I sat directly behind the Brazilian bench when we won in 2016.

14. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I meant the number of teams taking place, not the significance.

Also the significance is subjective. Brazil had never won Gold. Other than that, the Olympics is a u23 tournament.

15. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Not completely U23, a country can take up to 3 players over 23 and that's how we had Neymar lats one, and I was hoping to have Neymar again in 2020.
    Anyway, let us hope we beat the Argies.
    PRA FRENTE BRASIL !!!!

16. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    The boys did it, and in impressive fashion. I got to watch bits and pieces of the first half and much of the second half, along with highlights. Brazil hit the woodwork twice (once in each half) and if one breakaway play had ended with the Brazilian player passing rather than being fominha, it would have been a certain goal. Brazil could have ended this match 5-0 or 6-0; it was that easy to manhandle Argentina.

With tonight's win, Brazil reaches its fourth consecutive Olympic tournament. Not bad, right? But it will be the 6th consecutive appearance in Olympic men's football for Australia, the 7th for Japan, and the 9th for South Korea!

The team ends this tournament undefeated, but with irregular play, and it now has a bit over 5 months to prepare. This is a talented team which needs better self-control and a more solid defense, but which is quite talented overall; I do see a few of these players in the senior national team in the next few years. Tite was in Colombia to observe the team earlier in the competition, and he needs to gradually get the very best of this U-23 squad into the senior team.

I do wonder who will be the 3 overage players chosen. If Neymar demonstrates consistent play plus leadership and maturity, there's no reason he shouldn't be one of them; in fact, with Neymar having turned 28 last week, 2020-2022 will make or break his career with the NT. This is prime time; he'll be nearing 31 when Qatar 2022 takes place, so if he wants to establish himself as a player who leaves his mark for the NT, what better way (other than winning the World Cup, of course) than contributing to a second Olympic gold medal?

I did feel bad for the Uruguayan team, which had earlier defeated Colombia 3-1 and would have reached Tokyo had Brazil not won. They were watching in the stands and looked quite dejected.

Estuardo A. Lopez and IVO ! repped this.
  17. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    ******** YEH !!!!!!!!
    YAHOOOOOO !!!!!
    Now let’s win the gold.
    Bring in Neymar, Gabigol and Pedro !!

Estuardo A. Lopez repped this.
  18. Estuardo A. Lopez

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Saw the game and Brazil played magnificently and with an urgency that showed that the team really wanted to win. Great attitude.
    Man, this is going to be a great summer of football. For me, the Olympics have the greatest potential because we will have 5 or 6 truly great teams: Spain (the best in the world at U23 IMHO); Germany; France (great team that was destroyed by Spain 4-1 in the Semis of Euro qualifying); Brazil (great team, needs to improve); Argentina; Romania; and some African team.

IVO ! repped this.
  19. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Indeed. Brazil played quite well. The 3-0 scoreline was conservative given the flow of play.

As for this summer, don't forget that before the Olympics, the Copa América will take place at the exact same time as the European Championship. So for example, on June 16, we will be able to watch France vs. Germany at the same time Argentina vs. Uruguay happens, and the former will start only one hour before the latter. And when the knockout rounds start, we will likely see confrontations between former winners of both tournaments (which will inevitably include former World Cup champions). The only time we get to see the best of both UEFA and CONMEBOL in live competition at the same time is during the World Cup, so this will be a first.

Do keep in mind though: unlike the the Copa América and the European Championship, the Olympic tournament is not a FIFA tournament and clubs are therefore not obligated to release players to participate. 12 years ago, Milan refused to release Kaká, who was then 26. Dunga's team could really have used him - the rest is history.

Estuardo A. Lopez repped this.
  20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    There is no need for Neymar to play in the Olympics. He should only play in CA. Although, he does get plenty of rest during the season.

21. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA

Do you say that because you think Brazil has enough quality to win the Olympic title without Neymar?

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I have no clue how good we are . I say this because Neymar already got us a gold medal and we need to concentrate on WC and he shouldn’t be playing 2 summer tournaments . There is no upside for him to play Olympics .

23. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Good point. I doubt Tite will leave him out of the Copa América squad. We won last year's edition at home, so while it might be a bit disappointing not to win this year's, the ultimate goal is a team for the World Cup. The first WCQ matches will give us a clue as to what the NT will look like during the summer.

As for the Olympic squad, assuming it's a roster mostly or wholly separate from the Copa América, I wonder how good it will be. Again, the issue is always the best of the best from the youth divisions whom Tite might promote to the senior team and which may be excluded from the Olympics - or which are deemed fit enough to play 2 tournaments.

24. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    There is no way Neymar will be at the Olympics. This was the same situation in 2016, although I know that the Copa America from that year was more of an unofficial one. Both teams will be entirely separate.

The main problem I see is that there are a lot more Brazilians playing in England these days since 2016. The EPL starts earliest in Europe of the major leagues, so I think it will be unlikely that we will even see Gabriel Jesus again. The rationale the clubs would use is that we already you play in 2016. It's entirely possible that Arsenal will block Martinelli (though I hope we call up Martinelli earlier to block Italy from capping him). Douglas Luiz could also be left out. On the flip side, it is possible that these younger guys like Martinelli and Douglas Luiz could go to their clubs and be like "Hey, we were already blocked from the Pre-Olympic tournament, let us play here so we can be happy."

I'm also interested to see who the Over 23 players will be. I imagine we'll see a Brazil based goalie. Depending on what happens with Willian and Chelsea, I can imagine him even being on the Olympic team if he ends up returning to Brazil after the season. And, I'd imagine we would look at a defender.

Century's Best repped this.
  25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I’d say just go all U23 players . Nothing says we have to take over 23 aged players .