Seleção 2014-15: Dunga II Begins -- Post Cup, Pre Qualifiers [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Guigs, Jul 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Who would be the ideal choice as new Seleção manager?

Poll closed Aug 13, 2014.
  1. Felipão

9.1%
  2. Muricy

6.1%
  3. Tite

18.2%
  4. Luxemburgo

9.1%
  5. Guardiola

24.2%
  6. Other Foreign Manager

21.2%
  7. Other Domestic Manager

12.1%
  1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Continuity would be good, but a 1 x 7 defeat at home is too demoralizing for a coach to continue on.

Deep Pal repped this.
  2. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Reading a lot about the reaction from most of the commentators and bloggers about this. Here is my conclusion

After we lost in 2006 and Dunga took over we should have stuck with Dunga... When we lost in 2010 I was devastated, more than this time for sure, because I thought we would win that WC easily. But the way most view Dunga's tenure is as a failure because of that 1 game.

Then you look at Mano and he's viewed as a failure for losing 6-7 games in 2 years, and now felipao as a failure for losing 3 games.

So between our last 3 coaches who are all considered failures we have
    1 Copa America
    2 Confederate Cups

I mean... they are failures?! I bet any team outside of Spain would have traded their failures for Brazil's failures since 2006.

Now with that said...

One of the reasons Dunga is viewed as a failure by most of the reading that I've done was for the non call ups of Neymar and Ganso while closing down the team and shielding them from the media.

At that point I realized what this was about.. Globo.. Not much can be done to help our National team until those people get the hell out of the way.

3. PapaDoc23

PapaDoc23 Member

Apr 9, 2012
    Brooklyn,New York
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Plus Scolari is old fashioned. He is just a motivator but is very tactically limited. They thing that irritates me is that he did not bring in other players to the world cup. The only new additions were Willian,Fernandinho,Henrique. It was obvious he could have brought Hernane,or Firminio. He stood by his guys but did not bring the best guys. Plus for the Germany he tried to play open against them. He should have used a 4-3-3.
    Scolari completely failed tactically.How can amyone think that a 2 man midfield could handle Kroos, Khedira, and Schweinsteiger, all of whom are very energetic, tough midfielders that love to bomb forward?

Deep Pal repped this.
  4. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm sorry I can't vote on the Scolari question because I'm so torn because I'm such a huge Scolari fan, but he's not the same coach from 2002 or his Palmeiras '99 days!!

While I admire his loyalty to his players, but when he becomes too stubborn to see that he can't put a square peg into a round hole then it is time for him to head for greener pastures(and I'm not talking about coaching for money!!)

5. PapaDoc23

PapaDoc23 Member

Apr 9, 2012
    Brooklyn,New York
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Dunga brought in Nilmar(lol),old ass Grafite,an aging Kleberson was riding the bench,Josue,Kaka just came out of injury and had no replacement for him. Dunga's callups was bizzare and in the end didnt help us at all. Dunga was too stubborn just like Big Phil.

6. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I disagree about Dunga. Most people were won over by him when we started to perform well mid-way through qualification. As for the Holland game, Felipe Melo and JC caught more flack than Dunga did. Dunga was criticized more earlier on with disappointing results against Venezuela and Bolivia at home, not to mention some of his odd call ups.

You say not to look at the results and then use results to justify that Mano was doing a good job? The team was tactically a mess during his whole tenure. Our best performance was his very first game against the United States. After that, it was a complete struggle. The team didn't show any evolution for most of his time as coach. Mano was never the right decision from the start. That was the mistake.

7. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't think people really know what it is like trying to build a team. It is hard enough getting 16 year old kids in high school to have unity on a team let alone rich men with huge egos. That is why you see strange call ups and most of the time I can defend them.

NotreDameFlamengo repped this.
  8. Renato Goulart

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Jun 25, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    In retrospect, I think Dunga did a good job. I didn't agree with many of his decisions at the time, but in the end he built a team that won the Copa America, the Confederations Cup, and was one stupid play away from giving us a chance at the 2010 World Cup. I don't think we should've tossed him because of the loss to the Netherlands, and we would probably have a much more solid foundation this year.
    Mano was pretty bad. The team never clicked with him, and Felipão was much more successful using pretty much the same players.
    There's a big difference in style between a good club coach and a good NT coach. Club coaches need to excel in leagues with plenty of time to adjust, and need to mold whatever players they have available to perform to their best. Muricy and Luxemburgo are good at this, Felipão is not.
    Felipão is a motivator. Dunga has a similar style, which he brought from when he was a player. A NT coach doesn't need to teach anyone how to play football, he just needs to take 11 rich prima donnas and make them competitive. Bernardinho from our Volleyball team would probably make a great NT coach in football as well!

9. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    I never said good job, I'm using his results as comparison to the standards we keep.

10. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    I agree, but I think the National Team needs a club mentality

11. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't think anyone was fooled by his results. It's a moot point. If anyone looks at results as the only indicator of a coaching job, it's in the Brasileirão when a team is in relegation. That's when everyone panics and makes knee jerk reactions.

Mano's side showed no improvement or any sort of evolution over his reign as coach. He could have easily been fired after his "results" in the Copa America. He followed up that stinker of a performance with countless more. To sum his tenure up, poor tactics + no command + no evolution + calling his "boys" up = failure.

My real question is how the hell did Daniel Alves and Hulk survive this 4 year cycle with poor performances game in, game out? Hulk was a wasted overage spot in the Olympics squad, was poor in the Confed Cup and mediocre for most of the Cup. Daniel Alves? Just see my posts from the last four years.... :rolleyes:

12. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Scolari was never a long term option from the start. Even if we had won, I think he would have left the Seleção as his mission would have been complete. He wasn't brought in to re-build the team for future Cups. He was the emergency option, given his man management skills and experience, to right the ship in a short period of time to save us from an even bigger disaster than what actually happened.

13. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    You still didn't understand me putting up his results...

I'm merely saying that if Sampaoli for example was our coach he would have been fired for having bad results since he lost to Peru and couldn't beat a top flight team. While in Chile he's regarded as a savior for their Selecao, regardless of the evolution of the team if he was a Brazil coach, he would have been fired.

Mano was fired because of the Olympic loss, if he had won the Olympics he would have remained the coach, that is result driven.

14. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't think he would be. He would get criticized, sure. If that were the case, Dunga would have been fired after drawing with Bolivia in Maracana. He was given a chance and the team evolved.

The Olympic loss was part of the reason why he was fired. The Copa America debacle was a lot worse than the Olympics. It was a series of event along with the fact that the team wasn't improving under his command.

15. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Dunga was fired for 1 game, what's the precedent of a Brazilian coach not being fired after not winning the World Cup? Do we even have that happening!?

Sampaoli would have been gone regardless of how Brazil was playing or how much of an improvement Brazil had.

16. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    After the World Cup, I could see. After 1 friendly or qualifier, no. Who was the last coach who stayed on after a WC anyways (win or loss)? Nobody in recent memory....

17. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    I don't think we've ever had one. But yes I mean Sampaoli would have been fired after the WC, not for a friendly.

And the reasons given would be plenty, any little criticism would become a reason for him to be fired. I mean Dunga got heat for snubbing the media and that's what backfired on him so he can't be our coach! holy shit that's a stretch!

18. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    As already pointed out, he was never a long term option. The headlines in Brazil, translated into the English-speaking press as "Scolari refuses to resign" are just childish dick-waving contests between journalists who want to get him to say it and a stubborn coach trying to say he's in control until Saturday.

He's right, but he could also say what he's doing after that if he knows. Make the 3rd place game a farewell. He shouldn't have his contract renewed because he shouldn't be a long-term option.

19. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    @Guigs, I’m addressing you because your line of thinking is very much “against the current.” Your defense of Paulinho until the end is probably the best example of that.

In this thread, you’ve made the case, based on Joachim Low, that we need not have a superstar-level coach; we need, rather, a manager who will get a team built and operating, and again, you cite Low as the example. Low did not have an extensive resume; surely, next to Pep Guardiola’s, Alex Ferguson’s, or Arsene Wenger’s, his resume is modest. Yet here he is, having reached 2 straight World Cup semifinals, on the verge of leading Germany to a historic fourth World Cup title.

However, let’s say that CBF does what the German FA did in 2000. After losing 2 of 3 games in the group stage of that year’s European Championship, the German FA told all its first-division clubs to start working on youth development. Let’s say then CBF does this and the first-division teams of Brazil begin to invest heavily on developing and honing youth talent. Let’s further say that the Brazilian calendar is changed to mirror Europe’s. Let’s further say that CBF’s leadership changes enough (whether personnel replacements or a new mentality) and it becomes a more honest and transparent organization.

Wouldn’t we nonetheless need a coach with some experience?

The 2018 World Cup qualifying will begin, I think, in 2015 – they began in 2003 after the Penta. We have a Copa América in 2015. The new Brazilian NT will change and morph over time en route to Russia 2018. Even if the fruits of a massive youth development program are reaped in time for 2018, we’ll still need a competent manager to build a team.

This is why I said way back Tite was the man for the job. He built a cohesive unit with Corinthians. The team didn’t play beautifully, but it was very efficient. In the same Libertadores, Tite’s Corinthians defeated defending champion Santos (with Neymar) by beating them in Vila Belmiro, defeating Boca Juniors with a 3-1 aggregate (and outplaying and outhustling and outclutching Boca in every aspect in the return match), and defeating Chelsea in a lackluster but very solid performance. Isn’t that what Brazil needs? A manager who can build and teach a group of players who plays like a team?

That’s what Joachim Low did.

20. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Guigs keeps this board interesting and he's a great poster, but he is the definition of "um cara do contra". I refuse to believe that he actually believes all the stuff he tries to argue.

21. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Some of these changes can't be made, example the European calendar, imagine playing in the summer... that would be crazy!
    Not with the above support you've mentioned

Competent is different than winning manager.
    I agree with the assessment of Tite as an option, imagine Tite's defensive system with the offensive powerhouse of players Brazil has... But..

Our reality is that if Tite is picked and he doesn't win the CA and Olympics, but Brazil transforms into a VERY solid team with an amazing defense and a dynamic offense, he will get fired.. and people will complain that he is a retranqueiro.

All of our coaches will get scrutinized for not winning, but how can you get the population to accept that winning everything all the time is not reasonable?

German FA decided they would support their guy throughout anything it was thrown at them, and decided to fund a lot of the development programs. Our FA will change the coach and players and try it again, problem is.. our population will support the changing of coaches and players like that is what it needs to be done..

22. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    I like to think of myself as the 10th man ;)

trying to reduce the chance of group think and cause critical thinking to occur within individual members, even when it seems exaggerated. If an exaggerated view or worst case scenario is debated and tended to it reduces the likelyhood of the worst case scenario happening, almost as a hurry up and wait mentality.

I view group think as one of the most dangerous things in the world, not just relating to football.

23. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If Mano's team displayed an amazing defense and dynamic offense, he wouldn't have been fired, despite the results. He would have come under scrutiny for sure, though.

There are always going to be some idiots that call manager things. In some cases, they may be right (I've seen a midfield of 5 volantes before...) but in most cases, it's an over exaggeration.

Tite's Corinthians was very good defensively, but I wouldn't call him a retranqueiro. His fullbacks had to play both sides of the ball. Paulinho was his segundo volante and he had the freedom to make runs into the box to support the attack. He gave Danilo total freedom without any major defensive responsibilities. His wingers were required to track back and close off the midfield while his team didn't possess the ball. Tell me how Mourinho and Simeone are much different, yet they are praised for their work....

Guigs repped this.
  24. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Yes.

In 1930, Píndaro de Carvalho Rodrigues was kept on the job after Brazil did not win its group and failed to reach the semifinals. Píndaro coached Brazil after the Cup.

In 1934, Luís Augusto Vinhaes remained on the job after Brazil did not win the tournament.

In 1938, Adhemar Pimenta was our World Cup coach, and by early 1939, when Brazil played the Copa Roca, Carlos Nascimento was the manager. I couldn't find information if Pimenta was fired right after the World Cup, but Brazil didn't play again from its final match until January 1939.

In 1950, Flávio Costa was the manager of the team. When Brazil played its first game after that fateful day in Rio, it was 1952, and a new manager, Zezé Moreira, was in place. I speculate Costa was fired, but the team didn't play again for nearly 2 full years.

In 1954, Zezé Moreira was the manager, and he coached the team into 1955, with a 1-1 draw against Chile in the Taça Bernardo O'Higgins tournament. In the next match, Vicente Feola was managing, so I assume Moreira was fired after that initial tie.

In 1966-1967, Vicente Feola was replaced after the World Cup. By early 1967, when Brazil returned to the field for the first time since the match vs. Portugal in England, Aimoré Moreira was the manager.

In 1974, Zagallo failed us. In 1975, Osvaldo Brandão had taken his place.

In 1978, Cláudio Coutinho coached us in that World Cup, and he stayed on the job until the end of 1979.

In 1982, Telê Santana was later replaced by Carlos Alberto Parreira.

In 1986, Telê Santana was later replaced by Carlos Alberto Silva.

In 1990, Sebastião Lazaroni was replaced by Falcão.

You and I and the rest of us know the rest of the story.

25. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's what I suspected without looking at the history -- we kept coaches way back in the past.