SEC Football 2012 - 6 going on 7

Discussion in 'Football' started by Catracho_Azul, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't know which is worse- hiring a guy who once conspired to try to get his old boss fired so he could move in in the dead of night, or a society that cares so much about a grown man's side trim that he has to lie about it to his AD.

Silvio Berlusconi is laughing at this whole scenario. Hell, almost every developed nation on Earth would laugh at this scenario.

2. ArkUnited

ArkUnited Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Fayetteville, AR
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time for an always exciting coaching search!!! :rolleyes:

3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Meh... just saw the other details. Can't interview your trim for a job where you work while not telling anyone that it's yours. That brings up all sorts of questions about corruption in university hiring. He had to go.

4. colombiafriega

colombiafriega New Member

Apr 9, 2012
    You do realize he abused his power in order to get her hired for a position out of 150 candidates after only interviewing 3 of them and gave her 20,000 from the discretionary fund for the program.

This isn't about having a mistress. It isn't even about lying about it.

It's about abuse of power.

5. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Jim Tressel :p

6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They want to stay away from the NCAA's radar, not front and center... and the ghost of Woody Hayes can slug the first LSU or Bama DB that picks off the Hogs' QB :D

I'd go after Tuberville. He's at some program in Lubbock right now that isn't going to go to a B(C)S title game anytime soon. Maybe they can get Lane Kiffin... I'd love that.

7. ArkUnited

ArkUnited Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Fayetteville, AR
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My top 2 (realistically at least) are Butch Davis and Garrick McGee. Im leaning to McGee because he would keep the current staff intact and all the players are familiar with him.

8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, is that much different than Arkansas?

In 20 years of SEC membership, all that Arkansas has to show for their troubles is one solitary trip to the SECCG. Tech might have long odds of ever competing for the Big XII title with Texas and OU and Oklahoma State and now WVU and TCU in their way, but I don't think they're any worse than Arkansas' rising above Bama AND LSU AND Auburn in the same year just to win the SEC West.

And frankly, I don't think that Arkansas is ever likely to win an SEC football championship, nor is South Carolina or A&M or Mizzou. That's not their job. That's not why they were brought in.

9. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    It seems obvious to me that the answer is Sean Payton...

Catracho_Azul repped this.
  10. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Boston Breakers, Boston Univ. Women's Soccer, Norwich City, Charleston Battery
    Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have the schedule to do it this year. A Bama team in transition comes to Fayetteville, and the LSU game is also on campus instead of in Little Rock. That one could decide the West. Auburn is nowhere near as good as in 2010- that game was Arkansas' toughest road trip when they had this schedule two years ago.

You could have said the same thing about Auburn after Bama won the title in 09...how did that turn out?

Sure, they won one in 04 but Auburn pre-Newton was at a lower level than Ark and SC are right now. And then they came out of nowhere and won it all.

11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Neither chance is very good, but played to perfection, one will result in a trip to the B(C)S title game, and the other... well, there's always some bowl to go to :D

I think Arkansas can. Just not anytime soon.

12. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Wait, did the mistress get paid the $20,000 as a bounty for breaking Petrino's ribs?

13. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, but I'm not buying it. At the end of the day, they still have to finish in front of Bama AND LSU AND Auburn to even get the trip to Atlanta, and I'm not putting much money on that.
    No, you really couldn't say the same about Auburn. They've been to the SECCG four times and would've gone five times if they weren't on probation in '93. That's as many times as Arkansas and South Carolina have gone combined. (BTW, in the interests of disclosure, I shorted Arkansas two appearances in the SECCG. They've gone three times.) In addition, Auburn has been co-champions of the SEC West three other times and didn't go to the SECCG.

Auburn might've been down in 2009 in Chizik's first year with mostly Tuberville's players -- which might've bolstered the case for firing Tuberville in the first place -- but they still went 7-5 and played in a New Year's Day bowl. And before 2008's disaster which got Tuberville fired, they put nine or more wins in six of the previous eight seasons.

Essentially, two down seasons in 2008 and 2009, when they went 13-12, don't constitute "coming from nowhere."

You honestly think that Texas Tech wouldn't go to the BCSCG if they went through a season undefeated, including playing everybody in the Big XII? C'mon, man. (Especially since their strength of schedule is no longer being watered-down by having A&M on it. Sorry, SEC.)

Exactly. Arkansas and South Carolina were brought in for the same reasons why A&M and Missouri were brought in. They're programs with lots of fans and lots of money and who occasionally play competent football, but won't disturb the established hierarchy of the conference, in which Bama, LSU, Georgia, Florida, and to a lesser extent, Auburn and Tennessee are more equal than everyone else.

And you don't to have to be a conspiracy nut to think that when you see the bouncing around of the permanent cross-division rivalry games that aren't Bama-Tennessee or Georgia-Auburn. (South Carolina is about to have their third different cross-division rival since joining the conference. They've gone from Miss. State to Arkansas to now A&M.) Or when you consider why WVU didn't get an invite. (Academics? Whatever.) Or when you consider why you've got the silliness of putting Mizzou in the East.

Things are the way they are to suit those six schools and to keep them at the top. Of course, when you look at how the friction between Texas and Nebraska helped lead to Nebraska's departure from the Big XII, that may not be the worst idea in the world. Still, for all the rhetoric about how the SEC is one big happy family, there is still a caste system in place. Could Arkansas or South Carolina or A&M or Mizzou upset that system? In time, I suppose that any of them could. But none have them have been as disruptive to the hierarchy of the SEC or will be in the near future as WVU would've been from the getgo.

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not if the SEC champ and either the Big Ten champ or Pac-12 champ had the same record, no. If it were Texas or Oklahoma, the Pac-12 champ would get the B(C)S shaft, but we're taling about Texas Tech.

Both Tennessee and Auburn are more prestigious programs than Georgia, who've been braying about their greatness to anyone who'd listen ever since Herschel Walker went to Athens. When South Carolina and Arkansas joined the SEC in 1991, neither Florida, Georgia nor LSU were higher on the totem pole than the Hogs. What happened is LSU and Florida got great with Saban and Spurrier, respectively. I think South Carolina's topped out myself- I don't know why they can't seem to get over the hump other than that they're competing in-state with Clemson and against Georgia from immediately outside.

Agreed.

If Miami (back when they walked and talked like men) or FSU or Notre Dame were to have joined, I'd be an SEC fan today. Hell, Mizzou's farther away than South Bend.

Bear in mind that Mizzou was brought in for basketball as well.

It's not. But when one of them is in a big game against a program from an academic conference, they play on the South-versus-the-world mentality that's been in place aroud here since Sherman did some charity work. I heard it loudest when Auburn played Oregon and when Ohio State played LSU.

No, WVU would have come in contending for the East crown if that's where they ended up.

15. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: Missouri's SEC unis by Nike

Hell, I can't remember (without googling) what they wore last season. But they need to keep the old helmet sticker for sure. Oh, and #48 wants brains...

17. Boundzy

Boundzy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've always liked that tiger logo, but agree that they should stick with the "M" logo on the helmets.

18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

No, no... I meant that they need to keep the "tiger in the oval" sticker (center and right helmets). Haven't they been using that one the past few seasons? Anyhow, the M always reminded me of Mississippi State and Michigan. This tiger is at least theirs alone.

19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

http://espn.go.com/college-football...cks-bring-back-coach-john-l-smith-1-year-deal

20. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Auburn's football program can burn in hell for all I care. Two friends and I showed up in Bama gear to an Auburn watch party for the national championship. That was almost an awesome night.

For some reason, I have an outright hatred of Ohio State, so I did cheer for LSU & Florida against them. I definitely cheered on Oregon though.

I'm generally over the whole "SEC brotherhood/sisterhood" thing. I like watching my rivals fail in bowl games. I loved watching Georgia lose to Boise State. I do think it's kind of funny though how the conference can't seem to be stopped in just about any sport people actually pay attention to and currently holds the national title in football, basketball, baseball, and gymnastics. Hell, they hold it at least back to back in all of those except basketball. It's just gotten to the point where it's amusing.

21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Dude, you're a grown man- no place for that. Not to mention that it could have turned violent.

They're paper tigers, as witnessed in 2006 and 2007. Why bother? I thought even less of their 2002 B(C)S title after that, but I didn't hate them.

It was early and Boise hadn't gelled yet. UGA got off light, despite what the all-knowing pollsters think.

It's all about what a region/conference/culture considers important and how much time and energy to spend on it versus something else. Outside the most bottom-feeding of circles, "But we're the best in athletics!!" isn't much of a response to constructive criticism, and healthy minds ought never focus on what "people pay attention to". Most of the time when I read or hear something like that, it's coming from someone a lot less bright than I think you are.

22. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I should've made it more clear in that we were among a handful of Alabama fans invited to an Auburn watch party.

I think it's more reactionary against the smugness of a lot of Big Ten folks. Sure, their universities are unquestionably better, but they've acted for years like the SEC is the only league that gets involved in scandal and/or cheats. PSU, tOSU, Michigan, etc. have all been busted breaking the rules (or worse) in the past few years and I'm just amused by it.

It was early and Boise hadn't gelled yet. UGA got off light, despite what the all-knowing pollsters think.

It's all about what a region/conference/culture considers important and how much time and energy to spend on it versus something else. Outside the most bottom-feeding of circles, "But we're the best in athletics!!" isn't much of a response to constructive criticism, and healthy minds ought never focus on what "people pay attention to". Most of the time when I read or hear something like that, it's coming from someone a lot less bright than I think you are.[/quote]

23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oh. Yeah, that's a totally different thing.

They're right on your heels in terms of corruption. And footballwise, they're paper tigers when it counts most. I'd say you have the upper hand already :D

24. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    See yall in Death Valley.

25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    With Coop in Tampa and the QB position being a question mark, I'd say a lot of teams are probably looking forward to the trip.