SEC 2018

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by olelaliga, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Lord Kril

Lord Kril Member

Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Jul 3, 2018
    need .500 overall record.

2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, I'm guessing you've noted that Florida currently is 6-9-3.

3. Lord Kril

Lord Kril Member

Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Jul 3, 2018
    Yes. Noted that .500 in conference doesn't get anyone into the NCAA tournament.

4. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    SEC wil
    Not sure some people understand how it actually works. You need an overall record of .500 to get in. Has nothing to do with conference record. I want to say high 50's in the RPI is the highest to get in for past history.

Florida will have to win the SEC tournament to get in. With the tie tonight, they are 6-9-4. Getting to .500 would make them the conference tournament champs giving them the automatic bid anyway.

Mizzou is 6-10-2 and 89 in the RPI. They will not get in.

Alabama 57 in the RPI and no resume better than Miss State.

So you have 9 teams (listed in RPI order)
    Texas A&M
    Tennessee
    Vandy
    South Carolina
    Miss State
    Auburn
    Arkansas
    LSU
    Ole Miss

It will be the same with ACC, NC State will get in even though NC State finished behind Notre Dame who is under .500. ACC has a better chance of 10 teams with Louisville, Clemson, and Va Tech at 43-48 in the RPI.

5. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Florida coach Burleigh most have been feeling extremely confident, or maybe it was a momentary bout of crazy, when she scheduled UCLA, Southern Cal, Florida State, Ohio State, Washington and Central Florida before the start of conference play this year. The gators took a few beatings, had injuries, then struggled in conference play, too, and now have three more SEC tourney games to win to get in the NCAA--and they played 120 minutes today. They had a crazy game with Auburn today: A florida senior midfielder seemed to take out her season-long frustrations on an Auburn player who was on the ground early in the second half, giving her a couple of shoves in the chest, and was rightly sent off with a red card. It was a dumb play, given Florida was leading by a 1-0 score at the time. Not long after, Auburn equalized on a weird goal--a header from close to 18-yards out that I think bounced twice and seemed to confuse the florida keeper, who could not keep it out of the net. Auburn controlled the ball for most of the second half but could not score again--and Florida won the match on penalty kicks. The gators next play Vandy.

In the earlier match, LSU bested Missouri in Double OT, 3-2, to advance. Missouri rallied twice to tie the match, then dominated the first OT and looked poised to score--but they didn't--and in the 2nd OT (I believe), Missouri fouled an LSU player in the box, and LSU's Alex Thomas slotted home her 3rd goal of the match to win the game for the tigers. LSU next plays Tennessee.

6. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over the last 11 years, #57 is the most poorly ranked team to get an at large selection.

And, over that same period, no team ranked #10 or poorer has gotten a selection.

outsiderview repped this.
  7. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Would not be surprised if Florida wins the SEC tournament.

#1 seeds have slipped up before early in the tournament, such as South Carolina recently. Florida has the talent to take down Vanderbilt. They have to play together and persevere in a close game.

8. soccergreek12

soccergreek12 New Member

ssss
    Greece
    Oct 29, 2018
    Great Tourney so far. It is a fact Miss State will make the NCAA tourney. You cant dispute they have are in the top 5 hardest schedules in the country. Sorry, just have to stick up for the underdogs.

outsiderview repped this.
  9. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    120 minutes? Are OT rules changed for conference tourney or did you typo? Just curious. Good luck

10. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Ha: I meant 110! If you count another 10 minutes for penalty kicks it's 120!

11. soccergreek12

soccergreek12 New Member

ssss
    Greece
    Oct 29, 2018
    Pepperdine is better than Mississippi state? Look at the blow out losses Pepperdine has.....

12. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    I think it is very easy to dispute. I don't know all the ins and the outs of the RPI but here is MSU's non-conf schedule:

Southern Miss
    Stephen F Austin
    Memphis
    S. Alabama
    Central Arkansas
    Austin Peay
    Louisiana Tech

You are going to argue that is a Top hardest schedule?

13. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Strength of schedule goes off of your entire schedule. Not playing Georgia, UK, or Mizzou (3 lowest teams in SEC in regard to RPI) really helped. Add in wins of their opponents (not how good they actually are) and that is why their RPI is so high and they have the #1 strength of schedule. Had they played UGA, UK, Mizzou instead of Vandy, USC, and Tenn. this conversation would not be happening because their strength of schedule and RPI would not be nearly as high.

Southern Miss - 11 wins
    Memphis - 15 wins (16 in the RPI)
    Central Arkansas - 15 wins (56 in the RPI)
    Louisiana Tech - 11 wins

14. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Thank you for posting this, as I wanted to do this earlier! Seriously, who in that schedule is a top 20 team? "Maybe" Memphis. All other teams are weak. So I have NO IDEA how Miss St's rpi is so high. In my opinion, looking over their entire schedule, they just don't have the resume to make the tourney, as opposed to teams like Wake and NCSU

15. soccergreek12

soccergreek12 New Member

ssss
    Greece
    Oct 29, 2018

16. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #141 outsiderview, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    No one said they are top 20 teams???

You need to understand the RPI factors
    Your strength of schedule
    Your win percentage
    Your opponents win percentage
    Your opponents opponents win percentage

Beating mid majors with 10+ wins is a good thing.

Whether you like it or not, Miss State is in. Chris Henderson has them hosting first round. They are 19 in the RPI.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer-women/d1/ncaa-womens-soccer-rpi

http://www.allwhitekit.com

17. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    I’ve been watching some SEC games today and I don’t understand how some of these teams are so high in RPI... I feel bad that these schools will be in instead of teams that can actually play

18. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    Agree. Bad Soccer.......