SEC 2018

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by olelaliga, Jun 13, 2018.

1. oldmangrumpus

oldmangrumpus Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Just an FYI....the SEC Network has posted televised games on their site in the Soccer Clubhouse. There is no single doc to point you too. You have to click the date to see the available games. http://www.secsports.com/schedule/soccer

AMBreakers and UniversalAdvice repped this.
  2. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Alabama loses to TCU to start its non-conference schedule then ties with North Texas St.--two matches that will not help bama's RPI.

Texas A&M has won three to start the season--beating Hawaii, TCU and Loyala Marymount.

Ole Miss has won two (Western Kentucky and Louisiana).

Missouri, playing the corn belt part of its schedule, beat Iowa State and was tied by Iowa, has Colorado next.

South Carolina is 2-0-1, beating Fordham and College of Charleston and had a tie with South Florida.

Auburn has won three, beating South Florida, Stamford (not to be confused with StaNford) and Kennesaw St.

Tennessee is 2-0, beating St. John's and George Mason with Wake Forest next.

More to come...

3. Lord Kril

Lord Kril Member

Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Jul 3, 2018
    Why are you counting scrimmages in with regular season? The first playable date for regular season was 8-16.

4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hi, sorry if I am not much familiar with US college soccer, but I've been said that this is the right thread to talk about the University of Kentucky team, since they should play in SEC Division 1.

Those who know me are aware that I am interested in Japanese women's soccer in particular: there is a sophomore at University of Kentucky, Yuuka Kurosaki, who have captained a very successful High School team in the past, when she was in Japan, and who now scored back-to-back goals in two wins by one goal margins that opened the season for University of Kentucky, on 17h and 19th of August. I was wondering if this thread is the right place to ask if anyone have seen those games or have any other inside info. I seem to get that Kentucky is not considered one of the strongest teams around, but, hey, two wins in the first two matches aren't bad, are they? :)

5. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    This is most definitely the right thread for Kentucky. They have had a respectable middle-tier program in the Southeastern Conference for several years--but were bad last year and the year before. I liked Kentucky's previous coach--thought he did a more than respectable job--but two years ago the team had a poor season and the athletic director sacked him. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a bit of underhandedness involved since the new coach was previously the UK assistant. He is a UK guy, I believe, and immediately decided to recruit as many international players as he could--and so the Wildcats have a Japanese player and a few other internationals as well. I'm not against internationals at all, I think it's fine to have a small number, but I have a problem with any U.S. university coach who spends all his time chasing internationals. Maybe it's just me. In the event, I think Kentucky will be better this year than last--how much so is hard to say as the SEC is a very competitive conference. But Japanese players are usually very well-trained (I've been following the U20, too) and Kurosaki has already proved that, apparently. Interesting, Kentucky is only one of two SEC schools that also has a men's soccer program. They men play in another conference but I forget which one it is.

blissett repped this.
  6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thank you very much for your answer. :thumbsup: I'll sure give a look to Kentucky's schedule and will follow from time to time the result from SEC, just to get an idea of how the team will fare in this season.
    I hope Kurosaki will keep scoring. :giggle:

I suppose the most likely candidates to win the whole conference-league are the ones you mentioned in the second post of this thread?

7. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Kentucky is gonna be fine. They really suffered late last year when their Keeper went down and had to play the end of their schedule with a field player in goal. I think have remedied that situation this year. Keep an eye on Miranda Jimenez up top. She is speedy and has a nose for the goal

blissett repped this.
  8. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of thoughts, first, I am surprised Alabama went 0-1-1 over the weekend, I thought that had brought in some great players. Secondly, I think people underestimate the loss of Gabby Seiler for UF, she was an excellent player.

mpr2477 repped this.
  9. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You might be interested to know that I heard Portland Thorns Coach Mark Parsons say something a couple of weeks ago that made me think that although Gabby is not on the Thorns roster this year, there's a good chance she will be next year.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  10. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks cp, she is a great player.

oldmangrumpus repped this.
  11. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    The rumors imply Kentucky is anything but fine. Most think its headed toward dumpster fire. Early result would support. Big game vs. Wisconsin this weekend should help provide a litmus test.

Big result for Arkansas vs. WVU. Them, Auburn, and Tennessee are my 3 "dark horses" to join the big 3 (USC, A&M and UF.) Auburn has probably already joined them to be honest.

blissett repped this.
  12. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #62 cpthomas, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    My simulation has the conference standings ending up this way (teams and points) based on how the schedule is set up this year:

SouthCarolinaU 30
    FloridaU 27
    Auburn 23
    TexasA&M 23
    ArkansasU 21
    TennesseeU 19
    Vanderbilt 14
    MississippiU 12
    MissouriU 9
    AlabamaU 9
    LSU 4
    KentuckyU 3
    MississippiState 2
    GeorgiaU 0

This is based strictly on the teams' long-term RPI trends combined with their recent RPIs, and it can miss team "turn arounds" (good ones and bad ones). I think Mississippi State may be a good turn around team that this misses. But, the top 6 match your top 6.

13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, third consecutive win for Kentucky, and third consecutive goal for Kurosaki. :) I don't know the league at all, so you will say that the colleges they've beaten were probably cannon fodder, but UK don't seem to miss a beat and I guess it's anyway an impressive start.

14. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I caught some of the UF-Southern Cal game, #37 for UF is very good, I tried to look up her stats but UF does not have a 37 listed on their roster. Anyone know who she is? Thanks in advance.

15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wow, from three consecutive win, to three consecutive losses! Yesterday Kentucky lost again to Eastern Kentucky. What a let down. :unsure:

Sorry, I am not familiar with the rules at college level: I found that apparently there can't be draws and that if a game it's tied there is extra-time added until someone scores a golden goal (or at least it seems to me that Kentucky lost this way one of the matches last week). A win or loss in extra-time counts exactly as if it happen in regular time? :cautious:

16. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the game is a draw after 90 minutes, the teams play two 10-minute overtimes except that it is golden goal so the game ends sooner if a team scores. If the neither team scores, then the game is a draw.

And yes, you're right that if a game is won in overtime, it's treated the same is if won within 90 minutes.

When we get to the end of the season, most conferences have conference tournaments and there is the NCAA Tournament to determine the national champion. In those games, if the game still is tied after the two overtimes, the advancing team is decided by Kicks from the Mark (PKs).

blissett repped this.
  17. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Two of the three wins came in OT vs mediocre mid majors. Back to back losses, including losing to Eastern Kentucky? Gonna be tough to compete in the SEC taking OT to beat the likes of Little Rock and Morehead State.

blissett repped this.
  18. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Morehead lost to Ohio St 8-0. Just to give you a reference. The rumors about him and the program aren't good. Heard the reason he had to go overseas to get players and an asst coach, is stateside there are some rumblings about how things are.

19. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They took a very good Louisville squad to overtime, not sure why you continue to talk with such disdain for Kentucky.

blissett repped this.
  20. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So would you put Morehead State, Arkansas Little Rock, and Louisville all in the same grouping as level of teams because they went to OT with UK? UK had one shot on goal vs UL.

People use the excuse that they only finished poor last season because their GK got hurt and they had to play a field player in goal. What other power 5 school only has one GK on their roster? That shouldn't be an excuse, they should be able to have a back up or two if they knew what they were doing.

21. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am just confused at the hostility towards Kentucky.

22. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    There is no hostility at all. Someone asked about their program and I was passing on what little information I have on it. Sorry if that chapped you. There are pretty strong rumors about how he got the job. I am pretty sure that is one of the main places the lack of respect in the coaching community for him comes from.

outsiderview repped this.
  23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I asked for info about University of Kentucky and I'm going to take everything that get passed around here, positive or negative. Then I'll try to get a personal view of the situation, as much as I can through the few info I can gather around here and on the rest of the net, so thank you everyone for giving your opinions, as biased as they can be pro or against UK.

I am just confused by something in the posts I quoted. Who do you refer to when you mention a "he"? Kentucky's coach? Or you can refer to the program (or even to the whole university) with that pronoun? :cautious: Sorry for the question, I am not a native speaker.

24. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Yes, "he" is a reference to the Kentucky coach.

blissett repped this.
  25. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Questions about Pensky at UT, I remember him at Maryland stringing together a few Anson Dorrance esque recruiting classes and he is doing the same at UT, just curious what his pitch is? He looks to be the best recruiter in womens soccer. Thanks in advance.