SEC 2018

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by olelaliga, Jun 13, 2018.

1. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    There you go L'orange.

Well I will check the freshmen coming in and let you know what I see; I may know some of them. But off the top of my head, Florida and A&M are always a factor. Auburn, Tennessee, Arkansas, Vanderbilt can surprise. Alabama, Mississippi state on the rise? Georgia still bottom of the table?

2. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    I am assuming South Carolina is an accidental omission?

3. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Ah yes! accidental. Just slapped down a few words to get it started. But without McCaskill are they still a contender?

4. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    South Carolina will be a contender, even without McCaskill, because they defend very well every year. That is their strength. They will suffer without McCaskill in attack and will have to find somebody else to flop in the box late in games and draw penalty shots with which they can win games. I hate to take a dig at the kid, because she's talented and had an excellent college career, but she was also a consistent flopper/diver/embellisher--call it what you will-- and I can never be a fan of someone who plays like that. (She got warned for diving in her first pro game with Sky Blue, which I watched.) South Carolina won a BUNCH of games over the last two years on late penalty shots drawn by McCaskill--biggest girl on the pitch--falling down in the box. I will say generally that referees call way too many penalties for contact in the box. If you call penalties easily on contact in the box then you are inviting more flopping, and that is not good for the sport. I had a lot of respect for Florida's Savannah Jordan--prolific poacher/scorer--because I never saw her flop and she was always battling with defenders in and around the box. If she'd played like McCaskill, taking a dramatic tumble every time somebody gave her a bit of shoulder, she would have had 30 more goals in her career. But SEC officials need to stop making cheap penalty calls.

As for the league this year, I will have to do some research on players returning and rosters, but one can assume that the teams with consistently the most talent will be at the top--Florida, Texas a&m, South Carolina and I think Tennessee could be very good this year. The thick-bodied and athletic Deanne Rose, a forward who's on the Canadian national team, is Florida's best player; Parker Roberts is an excellent defender and the gators have a lot of other talent as well.

Tennessee returns all of their starters from their strong team of last year, including Jamaican forward and national team player Bunny Shaw along with forward Erin Gilroy--who just scored two goals for the U.S. U20 National team in her first two caps--and midfielder (and former U20 NT starter) Katie Cousins. The Vols had a talented backup goalie but because she was not playing she has transferred to Mississippi and now the Vols seem to be without a second goalie. Coach Brian Pensky will have to sort that out--and show that he can finally beat Florida.

I don't know much about A&M's roster except that speedy forward Ally Watt is back and she is one of the best players in the conference--another kid with U.S. youth National Team experience. The aggies are usually pretty talented and pretty tough--and they have arguably the best home-field advantage in the country, with fans in stands close to--and completely around--the field, not to mention the cadets beating their drums incessantly.

Vanderbilt is well-coached and plays an attractive, possession-style game. I don't know anything about auburn but they, too, are well-coached and very tough-minded and never easy to beat. Arkansas plays a direct style that is not very pretty, but has been quite effective; Missouri and Mississippi are usually competitive. Alabama is up and down; Kentucky's new coach is a Brit, I believe, and seems intent on filling his roster with Brits or other internationals--the Cats will surely be considerably better than last year, if only because I think they get a couple of injured starters back. (I thought Kentucky was the only SEC school to sponsor a men's soccer team--which plays in Conference USA--but I just saw that South Carolina has a men's team as well. Who knew!) I don't now what Miss. State or LSU have, and Georgia, worst team in the conference the last two years, can only get better, but I can't say by how much.

KayJay1 and olelaliga repped this.
  5. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Cool, thanks for the update, do you know any of the teams' incoming freshman? I won't have time to start looking at the signing classes for a while.
    I think Parker Roberts is a midfielder?

6. Bryan Bailey

Bryan Bailey Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    No love for CeCe Kizer and Ole Miss? She could possibly be the first SEC player selected in next year's NWSL draft.

olelaliga and outsiderview repped this.
  7. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    I looked at the gamecocks incoming class. They have a successful goal scorer coming in from Michigan in Riley Tanner. ECNL playoffs last year top XI and a high goal per game played ration in the DA. They have a solid defensive mid from a top club in the country, PDA. I don't know the others well The icelandic YNT attacking mid type kid is built like McCaskill! , but I don't know much about her or the Elon transfer- 7g 22 points.

8. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Kizer is an excellent player for Ole Miss--very quick, never stops running, knows how to score--and Channing Foster is a good player, too. I thought Kizer had graduated! The league is very competitive and getting more so every year.

9. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    I looked at the Florida class
    3 attacking freshmen and one transfer back. The one from Indiana put up a commendable DA level goal per game ratio (.73 11g/15m) The Florida DA player .45 (10g22m). She has a highlight reel on you tube. looks big and strong and also a good passer. May see some time. The Orlando kid is on the ECNL level team that is not very successful. They don't have many box scores posted, but the team doesn't seem to score a lot of goals. Not sure what to make of that.

The FIU transfer Burleigh says, "adds depth at outside back". That's usually code for I don't think she will play much. My guess is the Indiana kid who Burleigh comments, "I have know the family for a long time since her dad went to college with me" and brother plays for Orlando City pro team, may make an immediate impact. Not sure about the others.

10. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Top 8 prediction

1) Tennessee.
    They return almost all important players in tact, and are loaded with depth. Cousins, Shaw, Neal and Gilroy to name a few

2) Florida.
    Always in the mix, they’re depth will cover for the losses to graduation. Top returners are Rose, Roberts, Marckese, Araujo.

3) Texas A&M.
    Should be in the hunt again with the likes of Watt, Arietta, Alston, Piper, Bates, Morche as well as the SEC’s top recruiting class.

4) South Carolina.
    Despite the loss of McCaskill, they have the best returning defense with gk Krzeckowski, and defenders Fisk, Shaeffer and Milazzo. If they can find the goal, the defense should be able to hold onto any lead.

5) Arkansas.
    Was tempted to put them higher, bcuz on paper they look loaded with offensive firepower (Goins, Doyle, McKeon and Malham). But they’re defense tends to be suspect, and might be again this year.

6) Ole Miss.
    Will be strong with the whole back line returning and Kizer and Foster taking care of the scoring duties.

7) Alabama.
    The loss of Delgado hurts, but they return 5 of their top 6 scorers including Boswell, Welch, Wertz and Morgan. The addition of Mexican under 17 star Reyna Reyes and PSU transfer Emma Thomson are big additions,

8) Auburn.
    Might have the best gk in the league in the very experienced Le Beau. The loss of Dodson hurts, so the likes of Solaru, Folds and Malonson will need to step up.

* for all wondering about Vandy, they just lose far too much. Combined with a lackluster recruiting class, and Vandy might struggle again

olelaliga repped this.
  11. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Interesting picking Tennessee first. Not sure they will get past Florida, but honestly with the quality of the SEC on the rise, there are any number of teams that could surprise.

Not sure given your assessment that Tennessee will need any help from the frosh, but they have a couple notables. The first I really like.

Brice McInroy: Excuse the excess verbiage, but you can see from my previous posts, one might be aware that I am seeking out to follow skillful players in the women's (girls') games hoping to see the level of women's soccer raised in the future. Fortunately, there are a few! Most visible right now is Sophie Jones the 6, Duke 2019 on the U17 YNT and up and coming Alexis Missimo invited to many u15 and u16 YNT camps -2003 BY Texas 2021, but I keep looking for the lesser knowns and will continue to report! This is the kind of kid (IMHO), who if she keeps developing could help to transcend women's soccer; she actually plays more like a boy. I bet she watches a ton of men's soccer on TV as supported by Pensky's take on her:

Pensky on McInroy: "Brice is fun to watch. She's a junky. She loves the game. The kid can do some crazy things with a ball at her feet. She has a really unique skill-set that will add another dimension to our team. Her vision and passing are quite good; we've seen her play some final balls that are out of this world. What's most exciting about Brice is how her game raises to another level when surrounded by other great players."

I saw her hoping to see a future UNC kid that caught my eye a couple years back. The UNC kid didn't play, but there were two kids on the team who did impress. I wrote about both on my recruiting post. I especially like picking out kids who I think are underrated and watching them at the next level. But I will spare you my USSF YNT diatribe :)

Played holding mid, but I honestly think was a mispositioned attacking mid. She was indeed doing a bunch of dirty work her team seemed to need: excellent in the air winning most aerial 50/50s and won more than her share of ground challenges as well. She is unusual in being physical, strong and above average size, with unusual quickness. Reminded me of a bigger Jesse Flemming actually.

She brought the ball down and under immediate control with skill rarely seen. Also can finish as notable for her status as a DA top 10 goal scorer with 24 goals in 25 games. Really nice stats for a deep lying player. But what really caught my eye, putting her way beyond the other holding midfielders and frankly pretty much all other female youth players I have seen; McInroy has very unusual flair and creativity. Never predictable. She managed a perfectly timed Zidane Pirouette to open up space, pulled a couple of nifty 1v1 moves and played some very creative one touches. She put her teammates through several times with terrific final balls after she opened up space with her dribbling or with unexpected one touches. Find a more comfortable 17 year old girl on the ball and I will be taking note.

McInroy is not completely unknown. Now ranked #60 (probably the bump because of the DA goal scoring stats) Topdrawer (which I hate because they only report on a few games they see at the event as if the kids they pick are the best overall) validated some of what I have reported above as they commented on the ECNL finals last year.
    From topdrawer:
    M Brice McInroy, Penn Fusion U17: McInroy, the No. 90 player in the 2019 class, remains one of the most highly sought-after recruits in her group for a reason. She displayed her skill once again Saturday, punctuating a great afternoon by pulling off a back heel to an on-rushing teammate to generate a clear-cut scoring chance. Not many have the skill to pull off what McInroy’s capable of.
    Named to the top XI (seemed to have been playing deep as well and also seen as a defensive threat by Parchman)
    M Brice McInroy, Penn Fusion: You can’t put a price on the type of danger McInroy was able to press on opposing defenses in Rockford. Penn Fusion relied heavily on her ability to find open slivers of space and squeeze through with her prodigious dribbling ability. She was a two-way threat as well, but her broadest danger was driving at the box from deep, where she routinely put defenders on their heels.

All that said, I don't see her playing in front of Cousins, and actually think she would be wasted that deep. However, with Gilroy probably going to the u20s for August, I could see her playing wide forward or midfield (depending on the system) or if Pensky moves one of his attacking midfielders wide, I think she would be truly great in the hole behind Shaw. If she adjusts to the physical college game and settles in behind Shaw, there could be magic. But she may not even see much of the field if Pensky is happy with what he has already.

She has a boat load of videos. That may reinforce my opinion that she's not well known, but her bio says major cinematography so may be a hobby. Here's a couple:
    Seemed to sometimes be playing more forward at times in this one.

Older playing mostly deeper, but gets the point across.

Second one is McKenna Curcuru:

She looks to me to be more of a tall centerback than the box to box midfielder described by Pensky from the videos. I haven't seen her live.

Pensky on Curcuru: "Makenna came to us late, and we couldn't be more thrilled. She is a box to box midfielder who never stops working, and just wants to win. She has a terrific competitive spirit about her. You can see that in her play every time she steps on the field. Makenna seems to be a natural leader, and we are excited to see those character traits translate at this level."

Just picked as a best of the day in ECNL finals in Seattle, but this blip doesn't say much.
    Topdrawer top 150 player and best of the first day of ECNL u18/19 playoffs:
    M Makenna Curcuru, Heat FC – Curcuru converted a penalty kick as Heat FC scored three times after the break to pull away from Pittsburgh Riverhounds.

Has some highlight videos. here's a couple:

12. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    I also realized that Gilroy may be gone in August for the U20 WC while Shaw may be gone in October for CONCACAF qualifiers. So the frosh may be needed to fill some gaps.

The other ranked Tennessee kid I missed is a MD United ECNL player: Abbey Burdette forward. I don't know much about her. The ECNL teams are spotty in their box score reporting. Her team looks pretty poor, but she was invited to ECNL national camp last year.
    She also has a bunch of old video.
    https://www.hudl.com/video/3/3819201/5721e114e984d413d42b864

13. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Olelaliga, I follow Tennessee, and the SEC, so happy to read your opinions of some of UT's signees. McInroy should give UT what it has lacked the last couple of years--a true attacking midfielder. As you suggest, that has to be her position. Pensky's starting midfield trio is good--but their strength is more defensive than offensive; they didn't get a lot of points from the mids last year. McInroy is a kid who can dribble, create and score--she can whelp it from distance and had a great free-kick score maybe three weeks ago that made one of TopDrawer's DA goals of the week. She'll play this year, though not sure how much.

Agree that Burdette is their other top signee--player of the year in Maryland. I've seen some of her video and she is a forward with some size, pace and (best of all, perhaps), tenacity. Plays hard. I hope that she'll be pretty good. Will play this year, especially if Gilroy makes the U20 WC roster. (She was a late add to the U20 that just won a min-tourney in France, scored two goals and seemed to impress. Twenty-four players in the upcoming camp--21 will make the roster. I will be pleased if she can knock one of the two UVA forwards off the roster!)

The Goralski kid out of Illinois and Eclipse Select should be solid--a left-footer with pace who will probably see action in left-back position. Her sister Zoey just finished her career with UCLA. Curcuru looks to be a center-mid--got some size and soccer smarts and distributes the ball well. A lot of high-level ECNL experience.

Two players who will be key for Tennessee this year are Mary Alice Vignola and Danielle Marcano. Both are very talented and, as a rising senior and junior, respectively, have only scratched the surface of their attacking potential--partly because both spent a year (wasted a year?) playing outside back because that's where they were needed. Vignola was TopDrawer top 50 player, I believe, three years ago and was invited to the recent U20 camp with Gilroy. Played on the left side of the field last year--but is left-footed and would be better on the right. Marcano was the CF sub for Shaw last year--faster and quicker than Shaw and scored three of UT's 4 goals in the NCAA when Shaw got hurt. Very dangerous in the open field and yet, even as a rising senior, is still raw and barely scratched the surface of her potential. (There are a LOT of talented college athletes that, for various reasons, bonehead coaching decisions being one, never reach their potential.) Needs to play a lot this year, but Pensky is a 4-3-3 guy and her best position is Shaw's best position.

My big worry about Tennessee right now is backup goalie--the Vols don't seem to have one. The backup, a top recruit, transferred to Ole Miss because she wasn't playing and because Lindsey Romig, who's been a youth NT player for at least three/four years, is coming in next year at goalie. So not sure how Pensky is going to fill that rather conspicuous hole with the season not far away. Vols should be good--a lot of talent and experience. I watched Cousins play as a freshman and wasn't all that impressed--but you could really see her quality last year--an excellent defensive mid: reads the game well, is physical, good distributor; very good on free kicks. Her one weakness is a lack of pace owing to her lack of height.

Florida will be good, too, and they and SC will be a challenge, as always. (Pensky always wants to high-press Florida and that is dumb because Florida is a very good possession team and high-pressing a good possession team is generally a waste of energy and leaves you vulnerable once they break your press.) The Gators' best player is D. Rose--Canadian with size, skill and pace.

I'd say the freshman to watch, nationally, this year is Sophia Smith at Stanford, who's been a prolific scorer for U.S. youth national teams in recent years, especially for the U20 team. A lot of good young players, as you know.

olelaliga repped this.
  14. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Thanks for the detail. I intend to watch Tennessee this year as well, but don't know too much about them at this point so I appreciate the background. I checked the DA playoff box scores from yesterday DA championships. McInroy scored to earn her team a point (1-1) yesterday. That was against a fully loaded Surf team, second place finisher in powerful southwest conference,with a significant home field advantage. That is an excellent result. They will have a difficult battle today with Solar. I think the Texas team is the best team in the country. Already beat Penn fusion 8-3 in Florida. Another kid who is rising fast in the USSF hierarchy Alexis Missimo freshmen 03 little kid plays for Solar. McInroy scored one of the three goals in that previous game.In general her team got a very difficult draw. Group of death as it were.

I also compared the players on yesterdays rosters to the regular season stats. While the Surf team not surprisingly, since they are local, had all of their top players, listed, Penn Fusion looked pretty gutted by seniors not playing. The two national players did not play. There is a phenomenon of kids who are seniors not traveling to San Diego and teams declining playoff births. However, McInroy did not follow this trend. McInroy was the only senior regular outfield player and maybe, with the GK, gets some props for loyalty, leadership and seeing it through.

NYCFC and Eclipse(Goralski) declined their birth and I think that other teams should have qualified for a wild card, but probably declined as well, because there are 5 south west conference (most competitive) teams in the 16 team u18 playoffs.

Gorlaski doesn't score much so it seems your guess as a future Tennessee left footed defender might be on point.

Burdette's team was pretty weak. But it was in arguably one of the toughest if not the toughest ECNL conferences. The high school stuff means nothing since the DA kids mostly didn't play and the defenses are not challenging to most top attacking players. I hope she can score against tough college defenses. I know McInroy can from her stats and videos.

Do you know anything about Thompson the other attacking player? I can't find much. Very weak ECNL team. Difficult to follow and incomplete ECNL stats. The older ECNL website was far superior. This is what it says from Pensky:
    Pensky on Thompson: "Amy comes from a pretty good pedigree. Her dad is the top high school football coach in Northern Virginia. Her three brothers all played (or currently play) Division I college football, with one of them having played in the NFL for several years. So needless to say, we are getting a tough kid in Amy Thompson. Amy has the unique ability to play the game at her own speed. She has the brain, the technique and the strength to dictate play, and that's not easy. She's also a natural leader with an infectious personality."

Sounds athletic

15. socalsoccer23

socalsoccer23 Member

Jan 4, 2017
    In response to "There is a phenomenon of kids who are seniors not traveling to San Diego and teams declining playoff births."

It's too bad they push the DA playoffs so late into June for the U18/19's -- would make way more sense to end their season a little earlier-- maybe early May and have the playoffs middle/end of May or something....because between graduation, prom & senior events already and then many seniors had made commitments to their their future universities regarding leaving early for summer school (started this week) or working the school's soccer camps or even trying to fit in a last family vacation before they are off to college, etc-- MANY seniors missing for these playoffs...hopefully DA will recognize this and do it earlier in the future?

16. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Completely agree--DA and ECNL seasons should conclude, and playoffs start, at least two or three weeks earlier. College camps start in, what, three weeks? Less?

17. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Olelaliga: At one time I thought Thompson would by the top recruit in this Tennessee class. She is athletic and was a pretty prolific scoring forward for a good FC Virginia (northern Virginia) U16 team, as I recall. But then not much was heard about her and she may have even taken a year off from soccer--not sure. She has been playing both lacrosse and soccer, I think, and so maybe there was some overlap. She will contribute--too athletic not too, I think--but I'm not sure at what position.

Jordan Canniff is one to watch for 2020. A mainstay on youth NTs for a few years and I think considered the top player in the 2020 class. She's from Maryland but played for Richmond United for a few years, and I was hoping Pensky might nap her (as he did one or two others from RU) but she's committed to Pa. State, which of course loads up on top recruits every year. They've got several top youth players coming in the next couple of years. In any case, Canniff suffered a knee injury several months ago so we'll see how she bounces back from that. She's been playing most recently for the Washington Spirit DA team.

18. JCruyff14

JCruyff14 New Member

Jun 28, 2018
    I've seen most of the incoming class play and I think there are many question marks with this group.

Had the chance to see McInroy play in Florida back in December. Wanted to see her team play as they were putting up lots of goals. She had a Va Tech and UNC recruit on her team with her. Was disappointed that the UNC girl wasn't there but the Va.Tech girl was. McInroy was non-existent in the game I saw while the Va Tech teammate seemed to be a much more polished player. Obviously a player can't be judged on one game so I looked thru their DA stats and noticed McInroy only had one divisional goal against teams with a winning record while her two teammates carried the lions share of the scoring in those games. Most of her goals were against weak teams in a weak division. She was also a one and done with the YNT which leads me to believe that maybe she struggles against better competiion.

Burdette and Goralski (not making 20's without an injury) have a shot at playtime due to their size and pace but it will be difficult with the returning players Tennessee has in place.

I think the best this group can hope for is to provide depth off the bench their first season. Hope I'm wrong.

19. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Most everyone's play diminishes a bit against better competition. It's hard to know how most new players will do in college--competition on your own team for playing time, better opposing players, new positions--a lot of variables. McInroy has scored a ton of goals in this DA season but I have no idea about the level of competition. It's the DA(!)--I thought it was supposed to be pretty decent. Tennessee has a veteran team this year, so, yes, most of the freshmen will be depth. I want to see Paige Franks and Mary Alice Vignola get some PT in the midfield. They are good attacking players and both got stuck playing outside back last year--as did another good attacking mid the year before. It goes to show that while the 4-3-3 is a classic formation--there aren't that many natural outside backs who can be effective on both ends of the field. Look at Jill Ellis with the NT: She's been trying to find the right outside backs for two years--and still looking and experimenting.

20. oldmangrumpus

oldmangrumpus Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Texas A&M
    Florida
    South Carolina
    Auburn
    Tennessee
    Alabama
    Ole Miss
    Arkansas
    Georgia
    Vanderbilt
    Missouri
    LSU
    Mississippi State
    Kentucky

I appreciate all the love for Tennessee, but looking at schedules this year, I like TAM to take the title. Truth is, the top five could be in any order. I like Auburn…a lot. Arkansas, Bama and Ole Miss all should be strong, but I gave Bama the edge, once again, based on schedule across the league. Underestimating Arkansas is really stupid, but I do it every year (so what do I know). The next three look even. Georgia, Vandy and Missouri each play each other in the course of ten days. Whoever wins here will make the SEC tourney. The loser, stays home. I am not a believer in LSU, Mississippi State or Kentucky but it feels MSU could be decent, but schedule looks difficult. Tough teams come to their place, but they go on the road for the one’s they would normally expect to win. (Six more weeks and it all begins.)

KayJay1 repped this.
  21. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Does anyone know how college /league/ schedules are composed? They are not randomly picked, are they--but if not that, how? I agree that Texas A&M has an absurdly favorable schedule. They play a large number of games at home--8 in a row at one point and 10 of 12, and other two are in Hawaii! It's especially easy because Texas A&M has what seems to be the biggest home-field advantage in the sport, given the layout of their stadium--with fans on all four sides and close to the field and the cadets beating their drums incessantly.

22. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For conference games, the schedules are set by the conference in order to have teams play balanced home/away schedules (to the extent possible) and to rotate home/away games between the same opponents (sometimes on a two years home, then two years away basis).

For non-conference games, each team builds its own schedule, which of course takes the cooperation of the opponents. Frequently, two teams will enter into contracts to play two games over two different years, one home and one away. But, it's really up to the negotiations between the two teams. A team with great attendance may have financial resources to help the other team, making it a desirable place to go to for an away game.

For conferences whose teams are "desirable" opponents, such as the Atlantic Coast Conference, its teams are able to negotiate relatively favorable non-conference opponent game sites. As in, "Hey, you want to play us, well you'll have to play at our home field." Of its non-conference games that are not at neutral sites, the ACC on average plays 61.3% of the games at home fields.

olelaliga repped this.
  23. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    #23 olelaliga, Jun 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    Whelp...
    McInroy caught my eye while she was playing up against a champions league team behind the UNC kid. So what you saw was probably not a competition level thing. I also saw her last year playing holding mid behind the Va Tech kid. The VA tech kid was small and I doubt could manage the defensive responsibilities deeper. She was excellent as well (as I note in my recruiting thread commentary), but not as impactful as McInroy in that game. Time will tell (soon) which will have the bigger impact in college.

Notably, in Chicago, Top drawer didn't comment on the Vatech kid, but saw McInroy as a "2 way threat" accepting a lot of defensive responsibility during last year's champions league (tough competition) so she seemed not to disappear in that event. Not that topdrawer is any where near perfect (although I thought Parchman was the best observer) but kids do have good and bad games. You apparently saw a bad one.

As far as the goal scoring: despite top 10 stats, McInroy is more of a playmaker than a goal scorer. I think. It is possibly in tough games the coaches moved her back into the holding role behind the other two to shore the defense which would explain the scoring differential. That's exactly what I think I saw in Chicago last year. The DA bugs me because they don't report assists. Just goals scored isn't a very useful stat. But I did too look back at some of the game reports. Against playoff level teams, she scored a goal against Solar who may emerge as the DA champions; they are a cut above in my opinion and 2 against the Boston breakers which made the semis. So will have to see in a couple of months whether my eye is poorer than I think! I expect to see McInroy in the midfield. Whether as a box to box 8 or an in the hole 10 and how much time in a team that didn't graduate much? No idea.

As far as the YNT one and done. I can't leave that one alone. I have no confidence in general in the youth coaches to pick talent. I have written a lot about that. I know lots of over looked kids due to all kinds of reasons that are ill informed at best and nefarious at worst. That more of the solar kids haven't been consistently invited is a travesty. I think Gilroy was the same one and done as a youngster, and she's facing the final cut with the U20s! Anyway, I specifically look for skillful players who are under the radar at the time and this kid fits my profile.I do think its a bit odd that your first post is one that is negative on a kid, but whatever prompted you to comment, thanks for the caution.

Now to A&M

goalkeeper Jordan Burbank (Edmond, Okla.), defenders Macie Kolb (McKinney, Texas) and Karlina Sample (Frisco, Texas), midfielder Kendall Bates (Melissa, Texas), midfielder/forward Tera Ziemer (Santa Rosa, Calif.) and forward Ásdís Karen Halldórsdóttir (Reykjavik, Iceland)

Ziemer (older sister UVA?) is a tidy midfielder.
    video

Two defenders from the top team in the country IMHO, Solar,
    Macie Kolb and Karlina Sample to add strength to the defense. The first seemed like a go to defender before she went to A&M early. The second only played a couple games this year. I have seen solar play multiple times, but my eye generally goes to the more attacking players and I can't specifically remember these kids. But in general the Solar defense is stand up.

And another Solar player midfielder Bates:

Listed as a defender on top drawer. I am guessing possibly a #6 dmid type for the Aggies.

Can't find anything easily on the Icelandic kid, but gotta love Iceland!

24. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    I have seen Canniff play on the 17s . I like her technical ability a lot. She is really small though. Seems like the smaller players are having a tough time staying fit at the highest levels and with already a serious knock, have to hope she returns bigger, stronger, faster as it were.

25. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    America is in need of smart technical players, regardless of size. We cannot out athlete other countries anymore.

oldmangrumpus repped this.