Sebastian Soto at Austria Klagenfurt

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ShaftBrewer, Jul 11, 2018.

1. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He basically called his ENTIRE academy trash....The comment about soto wasnt an isolated quote.

LouisianaViking07/09 and ChicagoVT repped this.
  2. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Dont have time to translate so used google.
    There was more about the academy that wasnt translated (on subway). Also google looses the harsh burn in translation.
    From kicker article:

"The players from the youth performance center are not nearly ready to hope for the second division. You have to say that very tough, "said the coach from Hannover 96 with unusual clarity." All young players are well advised not only to trust their quality, they also need a mentality. I want to see the mentality. "

Kocak's tough inventory was based not only on the test in Bremen, but also on the game 24 hours earlier in Hannover against SC Paderborn. In both games, all players from the 96 squad plus a few players from the youth performance center came into play. Players such as Mick Gudra, Marco Drawz, Tim Walbrecht or Benjamin Hadzic are so far completely unknown to a wide football public - and will probably remain so for the time being after the head coach's tough judgment.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  3. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good sir, not sure why but your translation stops right before Soto gets singled out? I read the whole article and yes, coach rails on all his youth prospects but Soto is singled out and gets the most criticism in the article (by far).

** Quote from coach: “If Soto plays like he did today he has no chance. He does not work hard enough off the ball, he’s not aggressive, not present.” Soto was already in a bad spot with his previous coach Slomka. The youngster wanted to transfer away from H96 in summer of 2019. A transfer didn't materialize then but maybe one will happen in the current window. **

“Wenn Sebastian Soto so spielt wie heute, dann hat er keine Chance. Er arbeitet nicht genug gegen den Ball, hat keine Aggressivität, ist nicht präsent." Soto hatte schon unter Kocaks Vorgänger Mirko Slomka einen schweren Stand. Der 19-Jährige wollte schon im Sommer 96 verlassen. Ein Wechsel kam aber nicht zustande - vielleicht klappt es in der aktuellen Transferperiode.”

4. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    he doesn't criticize their skills/potential just mentality. More and more pros/coaches say skills isn't enough to make pros you also need the right mentality.

all of these things that he said about Soto like aggressiveness, working against the ball. That's more mentality than skills and things a lot of young players don't do and have to work on.

a struggling team like H96, you 100% sure need to work against the ball and be aggressive.

edcrocker repped this.
  5. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lol, already translated on previous page ;)

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Part of the reason Soto is singled out is he is one of the guys most supposed to be ready for prime time.

Coaches rarely call out #11 on the squad if #1, 2 and 3 play like crap.

It's clear that Soto needs a change of scenery so he can focus on footie. Whatever is going on at 96 isn't good for him, whether his fault, their fault or a combo.

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Continental coaches are well known for being honest, and brutally so.

8. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    THIS, Soto is a 1st teamer, your U19-II players aren't.

Tarnat: “What the coach certainly meant is that the boys don't help us straight away. But that's the way it is. They should learn and are up there to see what it means to be a professional footballer - with all its facets. "Tanne is certain:" We have a lot of good boys and are on the right track. "

When asked by BILD, Kocak made it clear yesterday: “When it comes to mentality, of course I meant our young players - and not the boys from the U19 and U23. I just have to expect more from our young players in such tests. ”

In addition to Soto, the coach may have meant Florent Muslija and Emil Hansson (both 21). Nevertheless, this Kocak advice applies to EVERYONE: "All young players are well advised if they not only trust their quality, but also their mentality."
    https://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/...ak-angriff-im-talente-zoff-67298860.bild.html

also recent reports is that reason why Soto doesn't want to extend is that he wants more than $500 000/year. H96 isn't a rich club either.

9. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well h
    well, hey I needed some translation practice anyway.

And the other poster seemed to not notice that Soto was singled out (at least in the article he was referencing, where Soto was indeed singled out).

taylor repped this.
  10. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well that is
    Great find.

96 coach needs to be fired immediately. Those statements will create an absolute poison within the club.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Someone's getting fired.

12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He was earning 500 K a year in the academy at Hannover? Not too shabby

13. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm not sure anything he said was firing worthy. Coaches criticize players all the time even publicly, harsh but forces the players to work on themselves. What is firing worthy is getting shit results or relegated as they are relegation fighting team.

no way would they pay that in U19, what he wants is more than half a million per year to sign pro contract.

14. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's been said before but in Germany this direct criticism may not be taken as "insulting" or taken personally by other Germans. I experienced this when I worked there and played soccer in the Altliga. Guys would get intensely upset at each other (by my standards as a conflict-avoiding American). But after the meeting or after the game, no problem. Nothing personal. As a bonus, people actually knew where the other people stood after frank discussions (unlike in the US where you need to interpret and read into what people say).

The coach may be using the direct criticism as a way to motivate, not to insult or de-motivate. Sort of tearing down to build up. Soto should just suck it up and keep grinding away and prove he is mentally tough. The coach expects more from Soto and that's actually a good thing. Soto is in a hole and needs to up his intensity...it's not hopeless but it's on him at this point to show up. Easier said than done when you've requested a move and it was denied.

15. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the first-hand info. Personal curiosity, what level was the Altliga when you played there? I can find zero references to that league.

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    That's cause back when he played it was alt.rec.liga

but later changed to www.alt.liga

And is now Alt-right-liga

(just couldn't resist a chance to show just how f*king old I really am...)

taylor and mace repped this.
  17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    #842 Suyuntuy, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    The alt.* and rec.* hierarchies were separated.

All the rec.soccer.* were moderated as part of the Big 8.

The alt.soccer.* groups were never moderated. That was the entire point of alt.

PS: The Internet was better before the web.

18. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Altliga is O32. So.... in the German pyramid (assuming that O32 is better than the U19 on down, which is a stretch) I'd say it was like 11th division soccer or so :) I just looked it up and it is called the "Altherren" division technically. I see there are two divisions "below" it Altherren O40 and Altherren O50.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The Alte Damen O80 must be rough.

The Irish Rover, mace and Winoman repped this.
  20. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This reminds me, when I played Altherren in Germany (I was 40) I had to get a statement from the US Federation to confirm I was not registered with them. It was kind of a pain because I have never played pro (not even close!) The DFB registered me as a player there in Germany after I got a letter from the US Federation confirming that I was not a US registered player. The German's do take their soccer quite seriously! That might have been my greatest soccer achievement, to get a DFB player pass.

ardubois3, USSoccerNova, taylor and 6 others repped this.
  21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Gotcha. My mistake

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I'll play once the club gets my ITC."

23. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus, so a bunch of over-32s took criticism well? I mean, you ain't getting younger so you may as well listen.

24. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Not a chance he's getting that at Hannover's academy. Bayern or Dortmund, possibly, but not at a yo-yo club in Germany.

He's got (reportedly anyway) a hard offer from Holland, where there is a minimum salary in place for non-EU players of +450k Euros. He'd be crazy to turn that down unless Hannover are willing to match it. Even then, there's the better development opportunities, that he'll be in a (heavily scouted) selling league, with European football thrown in. It's a no-brainer

25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    He turns 20 in July, it looks like - I don't know off hand if the lower "youth" salary, for 18 + 19s is good for a calendar year, or only up to your 20th Bday.... Eitherway, Dutch teams lost their shot to get him on a cheap for too long anyway.

Netherlands would be a good move for him. I think it will play to his strengths and it's the kind of league you need to be able to hang in as a 20 year old if you want to get back up to the Bund.