Sebastian Soto at Austria Klagenfurt

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by ShaftBrewer, Jul 11, 2018.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    And usually they have come up through Jong.

2. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i see psv as giving 2 players <23 year of age 1000+ minutes while ajax had 7 such players

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah. I'm a bit suspicious of this rumor in general, but if it is true, I'm not overly optimistic for PT next season. But PSV (much as I had the needle nose light bulb salesmen) is a good place to keep working on your footie. But I'll be surprised, if this is true, if he gets a lot of minutes.

4. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i will always have a soft spot in my heart for h'veen and i count them as having 5 such players

freisland repped this.
  5. Heerenveen, and FC Groningen too, have a remarkable reputation abroad in Europe with the big clubs. Probably because of the superstars that emerged from there. I often read fans of big clubs like Real, often ones not from Europe, shitting on the Eredivisie, especially on the clubs not being the Feyenoord, PSV, Ajax trio as insignificant worthless clubs. What these people donot get is that the people running the big clubs have a completely different perception of those clubs.
    Barcelona scouts constantly the Eredivisieclubs as the president recently said in an interview, proven by the fact they unexpectedly signed a young player from FC Groningen and Willem II.

freisland repped this.
  6. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018

worked out well for Isak..

7. Eh?

8. Ah. Just read it, his transfer.
    Sebastien Haller, who was in a dead end as a youth player when he transferred to FC Utrecht blossomed up so much that was watched by the French nat. team coach. At Frankfurt he proved both in the league and the EL that his performance was legit and he's now being linked with the epl, like Manchester United.

9. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    I happen to enjoy watching the Ere... my only issue is sometimes defensively they are a little lacking. I would love to see a stat sheet about it but it appears with an eye test that they are a lot higher scoring than any Power leage like EPL et al.

10. When I typed this it turns out that PSV jumped in to try to get Diego Palacios. Mmm, wonder if they manage to overcome the lure of Barcelona.

11. Yet defenders from even low flying clubs get sold to leagues that are known for their defending. Like Hatenboer from FC Groningen to Atalanta.
    Robin Goosens to Atalanta from Heracles too.
    They both did very well, so much that Goosens is mentioned by Bild as being considered by Borussia and Hatenboer by Napoli.
    There are more Eredivisie defenders that moved like that. Sandler is actually (after his move from PEC Zwolle to ManCity) part of the Pep selection. 16 year old Hoever is praised by Klopp andis at that age part of the Liverpool selection.
    So the perception of foreign fans about Dutch defenses/defenders/defending is completely different from what coaches/managers in the big leagues have as an opinion.
    One would expect those scouting after watching on a regular base the defending of the mid/bottom table clubs to come to the same conclusion as foreign fans. They see the same matches, but conclude completely different things from what they see.
    The thing they value very much is that Dutch defenders are tactically very strong (not only the defenders that is) and are very versatile in playing different systems.

12. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    Clearly De Ligt and a couple others are truly elite. Im not knocking the defense of the league as they have produced some great ones. Just merely talking about as a whole there are a lot of goals and seem to be more than the bigger leagues. (which to me is exciting because I get bored with Italy soccer)

13. Most of the times only in matches of the top 3. Part of that is that Dutch clubs, even low flyers want to attack, which makes for more open matches. The reason that in other leagues less goals are scored is because the clubs outside the top six park the bus. Dutch clubs donot do that.
    Some time ago this season in an interview by Voetbal International with a foreign defender who plays in the Eredivisie (forgot his name) the guy said he thought we were mad when he played his first matches (iirc he played a mid table team) as his team went on the attack when possible, even against Feyenoord, PSV or Ajax. He however learned to appreciate that attitude, because it made soccer for him much more fun to do and he learned more tactically because of that ever looming danger going with it.

Dirt McGirt, UncagedGorilla and Winoman repped this.
  14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    In general (of course these numbers are fluid) the ered has usually been high on the GPM list (I think they might have been #1 last season) and while they are almost never on the bottom, they are not always the top either. The Bundesliga is usually high up as well - most often top of the "big 5" in the last half dozen years, I think.

For the 16-17 season, for instance, CIES did some stats that showed the Red 9th in Europe, behind La Liga, EPL, Serie A among others.
    http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/b5wp/2016/183/en/

(Funnily in general, the Bund is top or near top for the Big 4/5 for GPM so 16-17 was a bit of weird year in Germany.) I think one reason it sometimes seems like there is less defending in the Netherlands is teams still aspire to Dutch total football now and again and like to try to attack in numbers and push relatively speedy defenders forward... even when it might not be prudent. But while it might make things look a bit more hectic it does not seem to result in consistently more gpm over time.

15. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    off topic here but two of the best defenders in the world have been developed in holland so maybe its if you can adapt to the style of play and dominate defensively here you can do t anywhere

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    And quite a few in other parts of the Netherlands as well...

The Dutch have no issue with defending as a skill. The league and fans value attacking soccer, and that shows in the play. As someone above mentioned, lots of teams try to attack when they should just park the bus and try to collect a point.

17. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #467 The Irish Rover, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Holland is a selling league and has been since the 70s. Player development brings in more $$ than points on the board, and attacking players bring in more $$ than defenders, so - for both sides - getting their attackers to strut their stuff in front of scouts is a higher priority than usual.

Moreover, if you have two 21 year-olds that you have 10 million offers offers for, one very creative CM and one accomplished RB, you sell the RB first and give the CM a pay rise in return for a contract extension so that you can sell him for 20 million in two years.

The Dutch defenders are fine - look at the MNT - but Eredivisie defenders aren't as good, mainly because the best ones are sold abroad sooner.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. Hateboer was 23 when Atalanta bought him, as was Robin Gosens. De Vrij and van Dijk were also around that age when sold.
    On the contrary, our defenders most of the times are bought when they matured.

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Fwiw, Soto and Gloster get extended "holiday" as HSV return to training today.

"Training start by #h96with Zieler, but without Jonathas @Haragen24, (holiday) and wine purchase (?!) as well as Soto, Gloster (holiday), Noah and Heffs (both build-up).

(wine buying is, I think, negotiations...)

Pl@ymaker and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
  21. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UxSxAxfooty repped this.
  22. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    i saw this too and thought WTF.. whats it got to do with Hannover

23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Nah, was just looking for Wood news too and got my H96 and HSV threads crossed. Don't post drunk, apparently.

Winoman, Hobo and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just in case you're not joking, Weinkauf is the name of one of their goalies haha. It says Weinkauf as well as Soto and Gloster are still on holiday. Weird tweet though. I guess they were trying to differentiate Haraguchi (pro) from their youth players.

Winoman, Hobo and freisland repped this.
  25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I meant that "Wine buying" Weinkauf is in negotiations. I read that in some other post. But I was also trying to be funny and informative - and ended up being neither. Luckily, none of the them are going to Kitzbuhle with Hamburg...

Deeneaus repped this.