Sebastián Villa (Boca Juniors) - News & comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by Baal88, Jun 27, 2018.

1. MiLo4891

MiLo4891 Member

May 14, 2007
    FLL
    At this point he's going to rot psychologically....

He's going to lose confidence and in an attacking player that's everything in any player, but when your job is to create and take chances like a winger has to its maybe a bigger blow...

MLS did ok for Alphonse Daives that's now at Bayern Munich... It did ok for Jozy Altidore years ago when he went to Spain.. And now it sent Miguel Almiron to Newcastle... If MLS is so beneath Villa then all the more reason he should go because then he'll dominate and get noticed like Almiron did...

But MLS has raised it's quality and it's style is a fusión of South American technique and desire to create plays with movement off the ball and clever passing and also a touch of the physicality seen in England and the demand of players to be tactically aware and tactically discipline

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    According to Argentine media Villa will start in the weekend but will be benched for Tevez in the Libertadores. It will probably be a rotation like that on a week to week basis due to the two competitions as I expected.

What still is not known is if Campuzano will start both games. (He is expected to start this weekend.)

3. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008

partidazo

HomietheClown and Furnaccio repped this.
  4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Hot take:

If we play with one striker and two wingers he should be the right wing. Even when Cuadrado is healthy.

Baal88 and Azucarero repped this.
  5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Has to work on his dance moves though.

locoxriver and Furnaccio repped this.
  6. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Put Muriel on the other wing. Scary if you can pull it off.

Baal88 repped this.
  7. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Maybe to end games. Putting the two of them on the wings would lead to a ton of goals

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Not necessarily.
    Colombia rarely gives up "a ton of goals". Add in Queiroz's tactics and maybe a bunch of Defensive minded Midfielders to help out the back line and it can be done in certain games.

Azucarero repped this.
  9. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    No I meant scoring a lot at the end. You have Zapata bearing up defenders all game then throw in Muriel and Villa with 20 minutes left and let them go wild

Furnaccio and Azucarero repped this.
  10. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That’s a good idea. Muriel comes off the bench with a chip on his shoulder and goes full throttle for 20-30 minutes. That eliminates any concern about fitness/durability. Maybe you have cardona or Borre as a starter and let them wear down the defenders until it’s time to unleash Muriel.

Muriel as a super sub during 14-18 was never really tested by pekerman - without looking at the lineups in the other folder, I think players like Teo were used off the bench when Muriel could have been a better choice.

11. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Been thinking about that for a while. I still think that he is better as a super sub, at least for now, he can drive everyone crazy with his speed and creativity.

pepinointer repped this.
  12. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    dont know....villa have a lot of to improved honestly but at least he deserved more that spot in the moment than pavon in boca.....in this moment i would elect diaz over him

both already played a continental final :cool: despite their ypung age

13. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I like Diaz but he is more of a left wing. Maybe in the future both Diaz and Villa can start with whoever the Target Striker will be up top.
    all depends on tactics.

15. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I think playing with Muriel/Duvan/Villa would be a really good balance and would do pretty well. Muriel and Duvan do a lot of defensive work, you could even go all out and play James/Barrios/Quintero behind them and have a very attacking squad, Villa/Muriel/Duvan would all have to do a lot of work defending to make that work.

Furnaccio repped this.
  16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    In the future maybe.
    I don't know who would step up as captain with Falcao on the bench.
    James just does not seem to be made of captain material.

17. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I wouldn't pick my squad based on someone being captain on the pitch, we played tons of games without Falcao, players often step into leadership rolls when its needed, and although James is sometimes whiney with club, he's been a huge leader for Colombia on tons of occasions and gives everything in the jersey.

kromekote repped this.
  18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    From what has been said about Falcao by Queiroz and the media I doubt he will be benched now but in the future I can see it happening as you alluded to in the other thread.

No one is saying James does not give everything for the team or the jersey. Just that I don't see him as a good captain option.

villus repped this.
  19. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    James to me should be the captain. Who can replace him? When will we get a better player? Who scores the goals when the game is lost? Or pulls magic out of a hat?

Falcao depending on the formation maybe shouldn’t start he probably not even the best striker we have now and will only keep going down hill. Also a World Cup without each of our stars. Without Falcao. James won the golden boot. Without James. Falcao scored 1

20. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Scoring goals doesn’t make a captain. Pele wasn’t even captain of those famous Brazil squads. Maradona on the other hand was a captain for Argentina because he was simply the alpha of that argie squad in the 80s.

I get what you’re trying to say though. James leads by example and performance; but in terms of the captaincy it comes down to intangibles that we just don’t see on TV; which is probably what made Yepes a true leader/captain.

Being vocal; having a voice that all the players can get behind; the kind of player who can stay cool and talk to the refs when shit hits the fan; the kind of voice that can calm down your most volatile player.

21. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Falcao isn’t vocal either.

It should be James if not then Ospina. No other players on the team are irreplaceable.

James stutters but Falcao is a borderline mute

Furnaccio repped this.
  22. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ospina would be my logical choice too. But the guy kills so much time with his “delays” which I feel kills his credibility with the refs.

I’m not a fan of GK captains but it worked well for Iker and Spain.

23. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Do you think a captain is because is elected becase talent and football achievemtns??? who told you that maradona??? .....

Falcao have been captain in river (2nd), atletico (2nd), monaco and the NT.....because he isnt fighting every second with the referee doesnt mean he isnot a leader.............their mates and opponents respect him.

James is more a badt boy than a captain......

Talking about golden boot and all tthat stuff realting with captains.....talk a lot about your football perspective

ps: James pushed his mate daniel torres to take him the ball because he was desasparte....

no problem in use zapata instead of falcao.......but i wont sacrifice falcao playing time with a guy like villa..........that is shy in important matches and is very irregular.............

I prefered a 4-4-2 ...with falcao muriel or zapta.........

24. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Personally I've always thought that who gets the armband is overrated. Leadership on a team is important for sure but if you have the armband or not shouldn't necessarily effect that. Sure being given the arm band is a signal that you are the leader, but it shouldn't stop players from being an example and giving their all out there. We were really lucky to have Yepes, the guy gave everything and was calm and collected while being vocal and rallying the troops when necessary, we don't have that guy currently but Mina has shown pretty big balls and rises to the occasion when he's playing for Colombia. I think we chose the best players we have and its more important to have old experienced heads that players will look up to and listen in the squad and in the dressing room even if they aren't always present on the field.

25. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I think Villa fits the system that Quiroz is likely to play, he's not necessarily a slam dunk but he provides width and is the type of player I think would be ideal to play with Quintero and James being able to capitalize on defense splitting passes. I could be wrong but I'd be surprised if he played 2 forwards, but if he did want to play Falcao and get the best out of him playing Duvan and Falcao together would be the way to do that imo.