Seattle Supporters Clubs

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC Supporters Club' started by KnucklesBuchanan, Nov 15, 2007.

1. KnucklesBuchanan

Jul 12, 2007
    Section 149
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Upon Keith's recommendation, I am starting this thread as perhaps a starting point for those who might be interested in starting their own supporters groups. Yes, there is plenty of room in ECS for all interested, but I can imagine that there will be those who want to do things their own way or organize geographically, etc. So have at ye, if ye are so inclined.

2. koolkeith13

koolkeith13 Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, would the idea be that these groups would be sub-groups of the ECS or would these be Screaming Eagles to our La Barra Brava?

3. KnucklesBuchanan

Jul 12, 2007
    Section 149
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The latter, I would think, mostly because I think individual groups are better than subsets of existing groups. For instance, I'm considering the notion of trying to start a supporter group of people who really don't want to stand, chant, drum, sing, wave tifo the entire game. I'm simply not that kind of guy. But it doesn't make me any less intense of a fan. Don't know quite what the deal would be with this group, but I'd definitely want to take it in a very different direction than what I've seen from ECS or the TA.

4. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go for it!

The Quakes use to have Casbah for the standing section and Club Quakes for the sitting section. It worked well.

I like the idea.

5. GMan Eric

GMan Eric Member

Aug 28, 2000
    The Brougham End
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's room for supporters clubs of all persuasions... so go for it Knuckles!

And we'll still be here if y'all want to stand and go mental :D

6. KnucklesBuchanan

Jul 12, 2007
    Section 149
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    That's what I figured. Ok, then. Given the apparent obsession that many posters have with the name 'Emerald City', and my unhealthy obsession with flying monkeys, I think I shall call my new, slacker, very Seattle group the 'Flying Monkeys'. My one noise making requirement shall be, I think, that we all screech like a research lab full of angry monkeys while the opposing team is announced, just to drown them out. I may be the only member, and the only person screeching like a monkey, but dammit, it'll be fun.

1) Screech like monkeys while the opponents are being announced.
    2) No Budweiser products allowed in the section (Redhook doesn't count in that prohibition).

If you want to sit on your ass for most of the game, make whatever racket it is that you want to make, wave whatever you want to wave, or just basically hang out and watch the match, let me know.

7. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    That would be more of a booster or fan club not supporter group. Your preference is your preference (and it is shared by majority of stadium population in most countries) and I respect that but that's taking the word supporter from what it means into semantics territory ("I buy tickets so I literally support team..."). Just saying. :)

8. KnucklesBuchanan

Jul 12, 2007
    Section 149
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I disagree. You're limiting your definition to basically the ultra type of supporter, and I find that way too narrow. I'm not saying there won't be tifo, etc., but not every group needs to be a freaking ultra.

9. koolkeith13

koolkeith13 Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he is meaning that there should still be songs and some color coming from the section. If I understand knuckles correctly, there will be. It just won't be the focus.

What I'm more interested in is whether this group will sit on the south end, near ECS? Would you make your own gear and compete with ECS on that front?

10. southsound

southsound New Member

Aug 17, 2007
    North End sec 148
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    As much as I would love to sit in the ECS group, I want to be as close to them as possible. When my kid gets older I will change my seats unless ECS grows into are section:D. I still want to do my part in helping the ECS grow in anyway I can.

I would hope to be able to wave flags and maybe get my daughters school to make some banners she could take to games. Try and make it a tradition and a fun event for the family. It would be cool to get the young ones involved.

A family supporters group would be cool. We who have kids know they can't stay still for a whole game. But if we could get them involved some how, I'm down with it.

11. KnucklesBuchanan

Jul 12, 2007
    Section 149
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    No, I wouldn't want to compete with ECS. That wouldn't seem right. This shouldn't be a competition, but rather a collaboration. What I'd rather do is be positioned behind the visitors bench, so we can heckle them constantly throughout the match.

12. KnucklesBuchanan

Jul 12, 2007
    Section 149
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I'd be willing to bet that Seattle MLS would like to get as much color as they can all around the stadium, not just in the south end. That said, if you want to get together and discuss this, I'm all for it. I want to have a place where the kids can stand up and chant if they want to or heckle if they want to or sing if they want to, while the rest of us can sit on our asses and watch the game, chiming in when necessary. Basically where children are welcome, not just tolerated. Put them in the front of the section and the adults can hang back, etc. Something like that.

13. southsound

southsound New Member

Aug 17, 2007
    North End sec 148
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Maybe a ECS Junior club. Behind the the other teams bench would be fine. I really don't think there is a bad seat in Qwest, so I would sit were ever we decide to be.

Since they want to reach out to the younger generation, maybe they could have a cheaper ticket for kids. I would buy a couple more season tickets if kids tickets were cheaper and bring my daughter's friends to the game.

People if you have a name for a group like this, please respond so we could put this together.

Knuckles if we come up with a name let's put a tread together and have Keith sticky it. How's that sound to you?

14. KnucklesBuchanan

Jul 12, 2007
    Section 149
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I'm actually semi-serious about the name 'Flying Monkeys'. It pokes a finger in the eye of everyone who wants Emerald City FC, and flying monkeys are cool.

15. southsound

southsound New Member

Aug 17, 2007
    North End sec 148
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Flying Monkeys, I can see it working. I know my daughter would she has over 25 monkeys, its here thing. What kid doesn't like monkeys right?

16. KnucklesBuchanan

Jul 12, 2007
    Section 149
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Damn freaking straight. I'd still argue that EVERYBODY loves monkeys.

[​IMG]

17. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Just limiting it to active support it has nothing to do with ultras (not many ultras in UK or SA but they have supporters). "people who really don't want to stand, chant, drum, sing, wave tifo" would be fans, no? People who do all that but also don't like team playing would be audience. Ultras is just subset or style of active support.

We have group like what you described, called Esquina United, they are even listed on supporters page for DCU for some reason, but noone, including us in DC, considers them supporters group. I don't even know where they are located in stadium.

if you had something else in mind then my apologies.

18. KnucklesBuchanan

Jul 12, 2007
    Section 149
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    No, I do mean active support, I just mean that none of that is required, that's all. If people want to bring drums, etc. go right ahead. Again, I'm trying to create a family friendly type of support group. And yes, flags etc are great, but don't ask me to chant or sing. It's just not my style. And dammit, I like to watch the match.

19. antezma

antezma New Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Seattle
    Flying Monkeys is a great name for a group. I realize you said "screech" like monkeys, but I'd advise you not to do any sort of "monkey chant" at a soccer game. Monkey chants are the chosen racist taunt at too many stadiums across Europe.

20. koolkeith13

koolkeith13 Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got done talking with knuckles, bright and Kaged about this one.

My vision would be to use the ECS as an umbrella group that everyone can belong to. The current folks that you're seeing in the section want to start the ECS Ultras (or some other name).

Every sub-group can then go out and do whatever they want. You want to make a kids-friendly atmosphere called "Flying Monkeys" then we're cool. Want to make someone for folks that like the British-style of sitting down (or have to sit down) then do that!

Main benefits:
    I want to be under one banner so that we can order scarves as one group and we can order shirts under one group and so that we have some unity and cohesion. There are also other lines of merchandise that we haven't really even explored yet (decals for your car, coffee mugs for your desk and calendars are just some ideas). Also would love to have huge ECS tailgates where everyone can come out and enjoy their style of tailgate and support. Lastly, we already have tradition. We have two years under our belt as ECS and we should continue to use that name. There is no reason to start over. Let's just get bigger!

So, the next order of business would be - do we stick with the ECS name or do we want a new name for the umbrella group?

21. KnucklesBuchanan

Jul 12, 2007
    Section 149
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Oh, I'm well aware of that. Again, it would just be during the lineup. Yes, it would be an angry monkey screech.

22. rwhgeek

rwhgeek Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yo Knuckles,

First taking the intiative to start a group devoted to supporting their team is great and I will be first in line to purchase a flying monkey scarf.

Just a couple items to ponder.

If you make it free form with some folks standing - some sitting you run the risk of sitters getting pissed at the standers. I used to be a stander near some sitters and got tired of fighting so moved. So I would say making it a sitting section if that is what you want or if possible make it general admission and let folks move around. This also is tied to the whole flag issue.

Flags at DC games have become a point of contention as well, once again the standers vs the sitters. Who ever is waving the flag should not be the drunk that just thinks waving a flag is pretty and does it constantly.

See if you can get the front row reserved for the kids or at the very least those in the front row know that the kids are going to crowd down there.

I think you are already heading down the best path work with a larger supporters group and having a nearby section devoted to fans but a bit less intense of an experience. The Screaming Eagles have Nest Lite and Barra has a section that is more laid back.

I will now slink back to my own boards and my Legend Oktoberfest. One last thing DCU will always beat The Seattle ___________.:p

23. KnucklesBuchanan

Jul 12, 2007
    Section 149
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    That's really the plan, I think, Richard. When I say stand if you want to, I'm not fleshing that idea out very well. What I really mean is stand when the situation requires it (goal scored, PK, last few minutes of the match, etc.). I definitely want the kids in the front, that way they'll always be able to see the game. If we get down on the sidelines, that would also give them access to the players after the game. Also, it makes it sort of a kid-only zone and gives us adults a break. As to flags, in my opinion those should only be waved after a goal is scored (or a PK blocked or whatever). I figure if we can talk the FO into giving us a section for this, it will really be up to us to sort of police who sits where. People just need to know what's going on with that.

From what I'm seeing from the FO so far, they are VERY interested in supporters groups and getting them involved from the get-go. This will, it seems, extend to setting aside sections for them, etc. and maybe even some other perks.

You're a NW native (even if you are a freaking Geoduck), so you're always welcome on this board.

24. Dirk Muijskens

Dirk Muijskens New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    There needs to be a family section for supporters if you want to build a legacy fan base and youth set up. However, "Flying Monkeys" is not my cup of tee. A bit too over the top. Anyway, I'm all for signing up for one because I have a little speed demon at home that whould be a pain to hold the whole game. He does love music however so a bit of color (banners/flags) and music would be great but alot of drunken foul language and fistacuffs is not cool for kids. Thats why I will not take him to any Seahawks games.

Doing it regionally would also be acceptable, like for the North End. I'm in Mill Creek Lynnwood area and car pooling or better yet taking the train together would be great for everyone. When I was in St Etiene in '98 for the Holland/Mexico clash, All the Dutch rode the rail car to the stadium station singing, Campione! Campione! and Queens "We are the Champions" it was loads of fun.