Seattle Sounders v. Houston Dynamo, Sunday, June 4

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, May 31, 2017.

?

Result?

Poll closed Jun 3, 2017.
  1. Dynamo win

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Dynamo tie

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Dynamo lose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Didn't Seattle win something last year? I could have sworn they did.

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Based on what I've seen so far this season,I would play 433 on the road with every attacker on the roster. I don't think our midfield or center backs are up to a controlled road game.

2. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    All due respect (not much since you gratuitously were a twerp) but the few actual dangerous plays where we got behind the defense and created were 90% Elis. No, I think we should sign Torres and jettison Elis and maybe we can create nothing.

"I'm not an Opta guy," but did Torres do a dang thing all night? This reminds me of when people went after Oduro the game before the trade when Garey and others did even less. In my book a dangerous game horrifically executed is still better than anonymity, because with Torres in it was going to be 1-0 without even a chance.

If you recall how the game went last season with Seattle we eventually broke then too. So I don't mind us going for a goal because I don't buy it would have stayed 0-0. They had a bunch of crosses and chances all night and I didn't see us heading balls out forever.

3. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying it's his fault. We just started playing long balls which opened the game up more. It was a tactical gamble that didn't pay off.

Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  4. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Juve - Im just joshing.

Well the good news is Machado, Leonardo, de la Garza, Remick are looking better every week. I thought Machado had an excellent game tonight.

repin1836 and Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  5. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #55 juvechelsea, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    What stretched the defense was not Elis running around, he does that a lot in what I see as a 4 man offense, Lima plus forwards, it was that Clark and Cabezas started sucking upwards committing numbers. That's not what we usually do.

And to me if you're going to commit mids why not sub in Holland or Sanchez as a mid, people with the technique to execute something. Problem I have with committing our central mids forward is they don't really do anything offensively. Clark kind of sucks now and Cabezas if he has value it's breaking things up or passing negatively.

I actually liked the Elis sub because if you're trying to sneak a goal you need a mismatch or two. We could use more technique or speed or height off the bench.

6. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it could have paid off but didn't. At the time, I was thinking, this is a good option.

7. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    another road game, another non goal in the run of play experience. this is honestly coming up on some sort of record

the passes looked off all night from everyone at every position (some of the back line passes forward were on target but not many). we did well stopping the attack but the switch forward and the play in the final third was down right amateur.

now that every team knows to force or wingers to pinch in and not allow them a fast break, i will be watching to see what our adjustments are moving forward

PS

i hope stumbledore gets diarrhea

CeltTexan repped this.
  8. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How long is Quioto out? I think we missed him more than any thing. All I can find is:
    The biggest issue I see, is we have no back up for Alex. That dude is the glue of our team and so far the season MVP. Without him we have zero midfield. I get the sub, he was sitting on a yellow and had already played 90min at FCD and 66min vs RSL.

IMO Defense is looking better, but they weren't facing Dempsey and Morris.

We had enough offensive chances we win the game....our lack or touch and poor choices let us down.

7seven7 and Hydro repped this.
  9. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Agree, that the passes were off. It's impossible to have a good game when first touch is not there, and passes are off. This team did not show up mentally.

7seven7 repped this.
  10. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    If you watch a team like Northern Ireland Nil play, you really only need one man forward but they have to be physically capable of holding play. And then the rest of the team has to stay disciplined. And Northern Ireland Nil is called that because half the time they can't score.

The problem all game was we refuse to play just a flat 451 and literally clog things so bad nothing can be accomplished. The home forwards are still advanced on the road so there are the usual gaps behind them and the 3 mids have too much room to cover. Then late it did stretch but that's not the forward, that's numbers committing forward behind him.

To me unless they are willing to truly park the bus and play 5 dedicated mids a la Barrett, I don't think we're good enough to defend to points on the road. I would instead play 433 like we do at home and maybe even juice it up Eredivisie style. Given our strengths and weaknesses I'd rather risk a Portland than gun for a tie we don't seem capable of executing. I thought it was desperate defending under duress that eventually cracked, not the sudden coming out party of our defense.

11. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Speaking of the Seattle feed, they have Steve Zakuani as their sideline reporter providing some generally good input and insight. We have Cindy "Elis probably won't return to the game (after he's already been subbed off)" Burbano.

*rey* repped this.
  12. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That was by design. Wenger, in particular, was pretty clearly started and given defensive instructions to deal with Jones, who was arguably gave the Dynamo the most trouble of any of the Seattle players the last time we played them.

I've got no problem with how Cabrera lined the team up and prefer it to earlier in the season when the Dynamo were easy pickings on the road. It was a more defensive posture, Torres was on an island most of the game so yeah, he didn't play well. Not may strikers do when on an island - particularly against guys like Marshall and Torres.

This was gun for 0-0 with the hopes of picking a goal on a set piece or a counter. It almost worked.

*rey* repped this.
  13. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Torres can't play as a central striker, period. Essentially what I saw was reversion to last year, us playing too much defense and then a forward and lead few attackers lacking punch or possession. I would have started Elis or Manotas up top.

Most of what Torres does is finish kicks someone else earns. The formation was set up last night such it was hard to win kicks deep on their end. How was he going to hold the ball? score? I think he'd be more useful in games like this in the "Sanchez role." Off the bench and deployed wide, and available on the field for kicktaking.

How do you say forwards don't do well on an island the night Bruin scores on us? It's more like, based on last season's stats, Torres would be the last person from that team I'd deploy alone. We played that formation all last season and it was Manotas, then Bruin, then Torres, on production. He has done OK in the 433 but that wasn't what we were playing.

This is where I get into, Cabrera doesn't sit down and think enough about what he's doing.

14. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #64 juvechelsea, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    Also, I kind of think the zone defense is killing us in games like this. On the goal no one is on Bruin of all people. There were like 3 people to mark out of that game and it's problem solved, Lodeiro, Bruin, Jones. Which is why many were optimistic.

You look at TFC, same thing, get beat by the obvious people, and no one is responsible for the night.

The defense is a gimmick, we have mids fronting their men and then the flat back 4 sliding around with no permanent marks. This makes it too easy for 10s to do stuff when the ball gets to them behind our mids, and then on plays like the gamewinner everyone is sliding to new men and Clark is chasing Bruin from behind. When Bruin scores, I am like you had one job to do. Well, maybe two with Lodeiro.

It's one thing if they pull something from their a$$ but that was an open header around the 6 by a poacher you should know better than to leave alone. How?

I'd like to see us play some man-marking some nights like this. Or literally run out a mirrored formation and dare them to beat us. Or, like I said, maybe play a Dutch style 433 and see who scores more.

I am unable to get excited that we are creeping towards being able to tie on the road, or the increasingly stalemate driven tactics related to same. I didn't feel like that game was a template for anything. Can't create can't score depending on zonal defense. Good day your best scenario is Dallas 0-0 and meanwhile the rest of the league is WINNING road games sometimes. If our rosy scenario is tying a handful of road games we will still be the worst road team in the league if that is executed to a T. And to me most nights we are getting less than rosy, we're losing.

FWIW Dallas beat RSL 6-2 so I think you can discount that game. They may be on a third coach by the fall.

15. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No win on the road. Check.

Bruin scores the winner. Check.

16. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    When the team can't complete passes for half a game, and then an inexperienced MLS sub like Elis can't find his touch, maybe it matters that the photographed road practice sessions I see on social media leading up to Sunday look like they were training on grass.

Remick played in Seattle, Saprissa used to be turf, some of the MLS vets have turf experience. But Torres, Elis, the midfield.........looked awkward on the surface. They flew up to Seattle early for the time adjustment but then didn't look ready for turf. The starters took a half to figure it out and Elis, though dangerous, never did figure out how to ball handle and shoot on turf. Details.

17. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lack of of thru balls and any type of give n go passing in our final 3rd dented any chances of our team getting on the board.
    To then having to witness Will Bruin score from 1 yard out. Sigh.

Still, DALE DYNAMO!!![

Correct but her boobs n her pretty boca make up for such nuances.

18. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG] "Back to you Glenn and Eddie!"---Cindy Burbanos

[​IMG]

Heft and Hydro repped this.
  19. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Id rather get insight in the game. theres plenty of that in the stands, who can talk about the game to boot, for me to want to listen to idiocy from a pretty face.

20. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is that^?

photochop, nice makeup and a great photographer can make things better!

21. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Wyatt, you are an oak

7seven7, CeltTexan and El Naranja repped this.
  22. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love that Bruin scores to beat Houston on my birthday......

repin1836 and CeltTexan repped this.
  23. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repped for the quote. Well done, sir.

CeltTexan repped this.