Seattle Sounders v. Houston Dynamo, Saturday, May 11

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, May 5, 2019.

?

Result?

Poll closed May 10, 2019.
  1. Dynamo win

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Dynamo tie

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Dynamo lose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Field Turf? Oooooh, noooooo!

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Who: Seattle Sounders v. Houston Dynamo
    When: Saturday, May 11 @ 9:00 pm CDT
    Where: CenturyLink Field; Seattle, WA
    Records: Seattle Sounders (5-1-4), 4th place WEST
    Houston Dynamo (6-1-1), 3rd place WEST
    TV: KUBE-57
    Radio: HoustonDynamo.com/radio / 1010 AM Univision Radio (spanish)

This is the 9th league game for Houston and the 11th for Seattle in the 2019 MLS regular season.

Last year Houston lost both games against the Sounders in October: 4-1 in Seattle and 2-3 at home. The Dynamo have never won in Seattle in 12 tries overall. The teams will play again this year in Houston on July 27.

Seattle is 1-1-3 in their last five games scoring 8 goals and allowing 10. Their most recent game was a road draw, 1-1, against Minnesota on May 4. The Sounders are 4-0-2 in home games so far this year. After the Dynamo game they next host Orlando on Wednesday, May 15, and then travel to Philadelphia on Saturday, May 18.

The Dynamo are 4-1-0 in their last five MLS games scoring 11 goals and allowing 5. Houston is 1-1-0 in league road games this year.

The Dynamo next return home to host Portland on Wednesday, May 15, and DC United on Saturday, May 18.

2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Dynamo @ Seattle, all-time:

07/11/09 SEA 2-1 HOU
    07/21/09 SEA 2–1 (a.e.t.) HOU, U.S. Open Cup
    10/29/09 SEA 0-0 HOU, playoffs
    08/08/10 SEA 2-0 HOU
    03/25/11 SEA 1-1 HOU
    03/23/12 SEA 2-0 HOU
    08/10/14 SEA 2-0 HOU
    04/04/15 SEA 1-0 HOU
    10/12/16 SEA 0-0 HOU
    06/04/17 SEA 1-0 HOU
    11/30/17 SEA 3-0 HOU, playoffs
    10/08/18 SEA 4-1 HOU

That is 0-9-3 overall with 4 goals scored and 20 allowed.

3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The weather forecast for Seattle on Saturday night.

At 7 pm PDT:

76F
    37% humidity
    wind 6 mph NW
    Sunny
    0% chance of rain

Temps will fall to about 70F by the end of the game and the humidity will rise slightly. Local sunset is at 8:35 pm.

4. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    This feels like one of those games you should bet against yourself but know, due to form and just being MLS, that if you do the Dynamo will actually win and all that money is gone.

5. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  6. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Late April and early May is the one little window of Seattle climate culture where the Sun is actually out and shinning, terrific 60-70 degree daytime temps and late sun sets with cool nights. I was just up there last week on company business . Missed this fixture by a week would you believe it!
    Their squad is looking solid again here in 2019, but so are we! Should be a very entertaining match up. Still hate the rug surface though.

DALE DYNAMO n FOREVER ORANGE!

7. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Place the bet dude. It they lose now its your fault for not being committed to the cause.

ElNaranja repped this.
  8. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Match preview:

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/m...seattle-sounders-fc-vs-houston-dynamo/preview

SEATTLE

[​IMG]
    • Injury Report:
      • OUT: Gustav Svensson (M) - left hamstring strain
      • QUESTIONABLE: Nouhou (D) - left ankle sprain
    • Suspended: None
    • Suspended after next caution: Nicolas Lodeiro (M)
    • International duty: Danny Leyva (M), Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez (F)
    HOUSTON

[​IMG]
    • Injury Report:
      • OUT: Eric Bird (M) - left ankle injury
      • OUT: DaMarcus Beasley (D) - left knee surgery
      • OUT: Ronaldo Peña (F) - left knee injury
      • OUT: Marlon Hairston (M) - right hip injury
    • Suspended: None
    • Suspended after next caution:None
    • International duty: None
    OFFICIALS
    • Referee: Alex Chilowicz
    • Assistant Referees: Eduardo Mariscal, Chris Elliott
    • 4th Official: Elvis Osmanovic
    • VAR: Alejandro Mariscal

9. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Seattle 1 HOUSTON 0
    5 ‘ Roldan goal
    Pathetic defense by our #10 who could have contested the shot but chose to shy away
    Expensive pony to have so this is what happens

10. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    His new nickname
    ‘my little pony 10’
    Grow a pair boy!

11. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So where the hell is Struna? Boniek?

12. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having watched the replay -- I'm amazed you wrote this. Wow. SMH

13. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    The team put in a hell of an effort and really wanted to get something out of this game.

I think it was a good chance to do so tonight with Chad’s a Marshall out but the team really struggled with the surface. A lot of bad touches and errant passes and key missed chances within free looks on goaonly to hit a bad shot. I don’t know what the solution is to get a result in Seattle - maybe stay there for a week to practice on the surface? Cuz I know they can technically play better.

I really felt that we had as good a team as a Seattle and should have gotten a point. Hope all this effort doesn’t negatively affect the outcome against Portland on Wednesday. But I like the attitude that we are going to try and get some kind of result in the road.

CeltTexan, Westside Cosmo and Geauxlden repped this.
  14. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    The marking and keeping on the goal were shoddy.

But what cost them at least a point was crap finishing. Put the ball on cage.

15. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Covering that shot is hard, because you go in he is falling to give a foul on the edge of the box. Him latching on to that has a low probability of going in.... it did and was unstoppable. It's either goal of the year candidate or save of the year candidate...kuddos to him because it was a hell of a shot.

They braced for the flood on goal after the 75th minute and couldn't do anything with it. This is our second loss of the season... not going to harp on it to much.

Would like to know what happened to Struna.

on to the next game. Portland has a new striker that could really help them... we need to stand on their throats early.

16. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can expect to win when you don't score.
    This match was frustrating to watch!

It is our second loss of the year. Perspective.

Let's see what Wilmer runs out on Wednesday. Back to back matches with dem Pac NW boys, let's beat one of them!

17. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    But second road loss. I also see perspective. Playing better on the road is nice. Points are better.

18. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Just want to chime and say it was nice having Bobby Boswell as a commentator again. Always enjoy listening to him and wish he had a more regular role.

19. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    i'm glad someone enjoyed it. :ninja: :D

20. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Having a look at that goal again - it wasn’t just Martinez not being brave but Manotas as well.
    He was directly in front of Roldan and turned away quite badly.

Bottom line you have to score at least one goal with this defense. Other you lose all 3 points to your opponent.

21. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    All the struggling ‘Superclub’ teams are now splashing cash for DP’s like Portland and I am sure LAG will now because Ibrahimovic gotta be squawking with several losses in a row at home.

22. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    7W – T
    3E – W
    8W – W
    12W – W
    9W – W
    2W – L
    7E – W
    5W – W
    3W – L

Which is a pattern of winning against 5th and down in the West and losing to the top 3 West teams. Mind you, the losses are both away and for a change we are keeping road losses close, ie, are competitive every night.

I bring this up because I feel some complacency settling in from results so far when what I see is probably settling into the 4th western team and 7th overall. Whenever the strength of schedule bunch here kicks in they will probably tell you the same. Improved team but also a friendly schedule so far.

23. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    They braced for the late rush by us, is code for we started the wrong left wing. I barely remember Memo played. Not true of Quioto. But maybe the coach agrees with me and that was more of a B team with 3 games in a week.

I was impressed with their Australian who was giving Elis fits.

Re Martinez and others I was thinking back to the schooling of select of trying to commit opposing players with the timing and placement of passes. You don't just make passes, you try and use them to try and put defenders wrong side of the ball. We would have advantageous rushes downfield and make a short pass that was still in front of the next defender, ie, hadn't committed any of their defenders negatively. Or (at least early) when we didn't commit defenders we often just squirted it over a line. We don't take enough advantage of advantageous numbers situations to commit defenders.

I may be making no sense but the basic idea is that when I have a 2 on 1, make the defender commit to me and play the pass behind them. That defender is now chasing. If I play the ball in front of the defender early, he doesn't have to commit and can basically guard two people. If I kick the ball over the endline I overcooked it to the other end of the spectrum. We do some through balling but we don't 2-v-1 or wall ball enough.