Season Tickets and new "All-in-Fan" gotcha.....

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by dstorm, Jul 12, 2017.

1. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless the reps were told otherwise, the 20 games were guaranteed. I asked one year what would happen if we didn't get all 20, and they said we'd be either reimbursed for the missed game, or get a discount on the following years season tickets. That's what my rep told me at least.

goobx1 repped this.
  2. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just for fun I went back and looked - don't ask me why I have this data but I do - I give away and sell some of my tickets. But here are the extra games included for season ticket holders - memories......

2010 (16 MLS games)
    Aug-18: Arabe Unido (Concacaf)
    Sep-15: Toronto FC (Concacaf)
    Oct-19: Cruz Azul (Concacaf)
    Playoff Game: FC Dallas

2011 (17 MLS games)
    Mar-1: Columbus (Concacaf)
    Mar-15: Saprissa (Concacaf)
    Playoff Game: Seattle

2012 (17 MLS games)
    Aug-21: Tauro FC (Concacaf)
    Oct-23: CS Herediano (Concacaf)
    Playoff Game: Seattle

2013 (17 MLS games)
    May-28: Atlanta (Open Cup)
    June-12: Charleston (Open Cup)
    Playoff Game: LA Galaxy

2014 (17 MLS games)
    Aug-12: Club Tijuana (friendly)
    Sep-30: Sacramento (friendly)
    Playoff Game: LA Galaxy

2015 (17 MLS games)
    July-1: Portland (Open Cup)
    Sep-24: Santa Tecla (Concacaf)
    Oct-20: Club Municipal (Concacaf)

2016 (17 MLS games)
    Mar-2: Tigres (Concacaf)
    Jun-14: Wilmington (Open Cup)
    Jun-28: Seattle (Open Cup)

2017 (17 MLS games)
    no bonus games included

pcny, SpiffCoug, DrownedElf and 3 others repped this.
  3. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and just for fun, season ticket holders, next time you scan your flash seats app at the gate, look at the price printed on your flash seats ticket. Multiply that by 20 and compare it to what you paid for season tickets - it will match.

For many of us, the difference between 17 and 20 games is hundred of dollars. The fact that they changed to the 'all-in' method doesn't bother me as much as how they snuck it past the fans. I'd even guess most fans still don't realize it.

They sold it as 'flat pricing' this year for most seats. They emphasized all the MLS games, Concacaf Games and Open Cups games you get. (knowing full well we have zero Concacaf games and depend on a coin flip (or bid?) to get an Open Cup game). Price per game was quoted by reps as flat (not a 20% increase).

So certainly after years of 20 games season ticket packages fans wouldn't be suspecting this.

Then there is the question of what is the club doing with the extra deferred revenue collected from the season ticket holders? How are they accounting for it with the league offices? It's very clear from your detailed ticket invoice and ticket receipt upon entry into the stadium that you are receiving 1/20th of your price. There are accounting issues and possibly audit issues with how they've done this.

Who thinks if we make the playoffs this year that they'll throw in a game to season ticket holders? It's not included in the "all-in" plan so pretty sure the answer would be no - pay extra for that game.

pcny, RSLer and goobx1 repped this.
  4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be useful info to pass along to the Trib and D-News.

5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    those 2010 season tickets were ********ing awesome. I still remember how fun that run was for CCL. Hostin Cruz Azul was epic, as was the stories that came from Arabe Unido. I honestly don't remember the TFC game.

RoyalNonesuch, RSLer and dstorm repped this.
  6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets take a step back here. I paid $605 for my season ticket. This includes a $20 fee to spread it out over payments and a $25 Processing fee. At 17 games, that means I'm paying $35.50 a game. A number that is high, but isn't astronomical. Compared to ticket prices for say the Jazz or Utah football, this is a steal.

I'm not sure what my point is other than to say that, yes, the way they did this was weird. But we're also talking about a pretty cheap ticket here. If you actually asked instead of assumed, the bonus tickets were not guaranteed this season. Nothing in the agreement says they were.

The Franchise repped this.
  7. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember the Cruz Azul match in Mexico that year? We were on the brink of being the first MLS team to win in Mexico - and then if I remember we gave up like 3 goals right at the end. If memory serves I think we were playing in a lake on the field as well.

8. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

RSLer repped this.
  9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    insane game that we snatched defeats from the jaws of victory.

10. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    And the horn that bellowed every time RSL was in the attacking third...

That was an awesome game.

11. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think part of the issue is not that they changed things, they just didn't announce they were doing so. I think it's a fair assumption that when you're used to a 20 game package after it being the norm for years, you'd assume it'd stay that was unless told otherwise.

I can live with a 17 game package, since they can guarantee those every year without having to invent free games to fill the 20, like that Sacramento friendly. It'd be nice if they at least did things like really cheap Open Cup tickets, and maybe a discounted playoff ticket for the first game on years we make it.

That being said, I'm not renewing this year. It feels weird, but the overall cost and time savings will be nice.

dstorm repped this.
  12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the face value on a ticket is 1/20th the cost of the package, then it is pretty safe to assume it's designed as a 20 game package.

pcny repped this.
  13. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, especially for how they manage the finances and accounting end of it. They are vague enough in the language in the contract to try and explain differently but not sure how you get around a detailed invoice that lists all 20 games.

I'm curious, is anyone aware of any other sport or team where 'open season tickets' are sold. Basically where you're not paying for a set amount of games. Just a seat - and the amount of games can vary from year to year?

It will be interesting to see how they market and price the packages this year. Hopefully they are up front and honest with the fans - Even saying a minimum of 17 games...... or something similar would be an improvement. They certainly better not include Champions League in the selling pitch again.

pcny repped this.
  14. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I'm confused. So if they only provide 17 games you're paying above face value for tickets?

15. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, you're just paying a big price increase per game vs. prior year. It's still less than what you would pay at the gate.

For example, $410 renewal divided by 20 games averages 20.50 per ticket. Divided by 17 games is $24.11 per ticket. Game day in the same section would be $30 per ticket.

16. Speedybacon

Speedybacon Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Orem, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget about the Royalty Rewards! Thats totally worth the extra cost in tickets! Oh wait... has anyone actually logged onto that?

17. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember checking it out around the start of the season, and it didn't seem all that appealing. Nothing like having to show up to every event they do to earn points so you can gamble on a very slim chance to win a prize. So fun! :rolleyes:

18. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK - so renewals are now in the system - if you're a season ticket holder go out to your My RSL Account and look at your ticket invoice detail. How many games does it show you being charged for 2018 and what is your price per ticket?

19. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mine shows 20 games and $22 per ticket. Which also reminds me I need to talk to them about cancelling, because the 'email we'd receive on the 15th' didn't have that info like it said it would. Pretty convenient that they want it in writing, but don't make it easy to do.

20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    20 tickets for mine as well. I'm asking my rep about this - that's some bullshit if they don't have any guarantee to fill those extra 3 games

21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so we can text our reps now. A feature I like but also feel is a bit cheap. anyways, here is today's conversation

Rep: Hi Patrick! 30-day notice as renewals kick of September 15th. Exciting news, prices are staying flat for 2018 (unless you are coming off a 3yr price lock). Clink the following link for a 2018 price map (link)

Me: How many games are in the 2018 season ticket package? And am I setup to auto renew or do I need to go in and accept? I would prefer the latter

Rep: Hi Patrick. There are 17 regular season games in the 2018 package, like this year. You have already opted in, so you are set for this year.

- note: when the ******** I did this opting in? no clue -

Me: The site lists 20 games on my account

Rep: Unfortunately the site is set up incorrectly, and we have been trying to get it fixed for quite some time. What it breaks down to is a guaranteed 17 regular season home games, and then any concacaf or usoc games that we host, excluding the final, will be gifted to you at no additional cost.

HA HA HA HA - CONCACAF - HA HA H AHA

so... yeah. The ticket site is super ********ed up. It has pictures of Monarch players no longer with the team (released this last offseason) offering 2016 season tickets...

pcny, rslfanboy, Ismitje and 1 other person repped this.
  22. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like this year? They print a 20-game price ON THE TICKET!

That is a value assigned as a cost to the ticket which is in their accounting system and if it isn't reported the same way on their books they have a significant AUDIT issue. This is basic consumer law - what other business out there let's you put an INCORRECT price on the ticket from what they maintain on their books.

Imagine that you buy something online or via a call center and were told the price of what you purchased was different than your receipt????

rslfanboy, Boz and Ismitje repped this.
  23. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What chance at this point do we have of playing in the new 2018 Concacaf League? I think we have to win MLS Cup, right?

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    correct
    though I'm not sure if we're mathematically eliminated from winning the West just yet.

25. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the schedule changes to CCL, winning the conference this year doesn't provide a spot. Only USOC or MLS Cup.

15 to 32 repped this.