Season kick off party

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TRUJDUB, Feb 26, 2019.

1. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    who is going tonight? I plan to attend with a friend and 2 of my children . I’ll see you there I’m easy to spot in the crowd so hope i bump into a few of you

stanger repped this.
  2. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll be there.

3. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I was going to go until I realized the Blue Jackets are playing. Maybe next year...

4. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what is this tonight exactly? Never been to one before, food/booze?

5. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I wasn't invited. Apparently I'm persona non grata. But a financial planner is treating me to dinner at the Refectory and I still won't buy his annuities.

hungariansteven repped this.
  6. Alneri

Alneri Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 3, 2018
    They previously have had the bar open and food trucks outside. Usually some speeches. Then get to chat and take pictures with players.

TRUJDUB and stanger repped this.
  7. Alneri

Alneri Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 3, 2018
    I requested the two tickets and then a dinner with the in-laws came up. If anyone needs two, they are all yours.

8. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I got on a gray hat , black jersey and a gold chain and my kids are cute

9. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I’m in the front row at the stage steps by the camera man to be specific

10. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    First time I've heard a parent say that.

Bill Archer and TRUJDUB repped this.
  11. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, I was going to go but got sick last minute, any tidbits that ate newsworthy?

We gonna get cards in time for the match?

TRUJDUB repped this.
  12. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Only cards coming are ones that you show for discounts and they won’t be ready for a few weeks.

After seeing some photos of how jam packed The Bluestone was, I’m glad I missed it.

13. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I have video of the entire thing on Facebook. Caleb just talked about winning . The owners came out and were glad to be there but Bez said their would be a huge announcement tomorrow. That’s likely the most news worthy

14. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we already have the team saved, stadium in development, season starts Saturday, the TV deal was announced earlier this week... Wonder what this huge announcement could be?

Sales figures for the home opener? Announce season ticket sales?

15. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last night my husband noticed I was trying to sneak a few looks at the live streaming of the event (instead of actively parent the kids through the bedtime routine). We were trying to get the kids to sleep (parents, you know my pain).

He mustered the most shit-eating grin he could and asked, "Hey. How come we are not there?"

16. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    Seeing Dr. Pete schmooze his way through the very packed crowd last night was just top notch. He took time to speak with anyone who wanted to, often bending down to go eye to eye with any children in the area and engaging them directly, signing whatever you put in front of him. He was very excited to sign my Save The Crew flag and when I was waiting for Hector and Josh, he came up from behind Josh and jumped into his arms. He was downright giddy.

Other notes:
    • Sika emceed the event and was visibly excited for the season to start.
    • Bez spent 10 minutes going over everything to get us up to date and mentioned building a club that wins cups multiple times.
    • Public speaking doesn't appear to be Porter's strength as his portion was set up in an interview style with Sika asking him questions while Bez just took the mic for his portion. But he referenced coming here because he felt this was a strong team ready to compete. And he called FCC the team down south so he's embracing that rivalry. Sika also referenced Hell is Real.
    • Neil introduced the team one by one, building excitement until he introduced Gyasi,Pipa, Zack, and Wil last. Then he really blew the roof off the place introducing Dr. Pete and Dee. It was loud in there.
    • Ricardo Clark has been playing in MLS for 18 years (half his life). He looks like he's carved from marble. That amazes me.
    • It was incredibly packed and I wouldn't be surprised if they move on to a larger venue next year.
    I don't have any knowledge that they're still doing it but I don't see why they wouldn't so expect to see an invite to the summer event, typically called Crew SC Fest, at some point in the late spring, early summer. Usually held in August, it's a similar event held at the stadium where you can hang with the players, mess around on the field, take tours of the locker rooms and listen to coaches/players talk. I'll make sure to let the Big Soccer masses know when those invites get sent so that you can make sure you get RSVP'd.

CybrSlydr, Ch(Elsey), TRUJDUB and 3 others repped this.
  17. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Maybe it’s a sell out for the opener or they know the date when they will officiallybreak ground / papers signed to start the new stadium

Besides those two things Maybe a transfer they kept quiet. Otherwise I’m not sure what else it could be but can’t wait

18. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my 15+ years as a season ticket holder, I think I have gone to maybe two or three things over the years. Maybe four. I have rationalize that perhaps when my kids have grown a bit, and if they see the events as a part of their own fandom, then I may go to more of these events. Even this year I would love to take advantage of a family-friendly one.

19. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    Crew SC Fest has been incredibly family friendly. There's a bunch of different games set up on the field and mini goals set up to get games going. Plus a video game trailer. I would say it's catered to kids while the kickoff party is more adult oriented. I would hope they do it again. Probably my third favorite event behind the matches themselves and last night's event (playing pickup games on the mapfre pitch might rank higher if they bring that back).

And even last night was family friendly in that kids were allowed and present. But it being a school night and incredibly packed, I could see why it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense bringing them. I had trouble finding a spot to be able to see the stage and my fiancee only got lucky when someone was kind enough to let her squeeze in at the railing.

Last year it was the Sunday after the TFC comeback down 3 goals and draw match. I think the year before it was on a weekend when the team was off. Since the schedule is compressed this year, I would guess they would have it on a Sunday after a home match. Having 3 home matches and no away matches in June, I might guess it will be sometime during that stretch. We'll see.

Kryptonite repped this.
  20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What BigStern said. Bring the kids to CrewSC Fest. If it's the day after a home game, find a place to stay and make it a true "Columbus Weekend."

Let Markus tear it up on the field and try to pry Timo away from the XBox. :ROFLMAO:

Ch(Elsey) and BigStern repped this.
  21. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Man, I was at the very front by the steps too. I was stage right of the steps in the very front row. Eddie Opoku was just about infront of me haha.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  22. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    I was looking for the Urso jersey and caught a glimpse of one right as the presentation started. But I was upstairs on the opposite side of you so I couldn't have been further from you. I don't think I saw you again while milling around the rest of the night. It was so packed, I'm not sure I would have been able to break the fourth wall with anyone.

TRUJDUB and hungariansteven repped this.
  23. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    One of these days BigStern, One of these days.

24. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How nice. So do I randomly type names into the FB search and hope I get lucky?

25. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. We did a couple of Columbus weekends last year. I think maybe ten or so years ago I went to a Crew Fest. Perhaps two of them over the years.

I think he is inviting you to be Facebook friends with him.

hungariansteven repped this.