Season 9

Discussion in 'Battrick' started by Craig P, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    well, bellissimo is playing 5 bowlers with a combined wage per week of like 2500 pounds. not sure why he is doing that

2. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    and he's going it again in the FC match this week, although he is playing his good batsmen, so this may head to a draw because I don't know if I can bowl him out twice on a flat pitch

3. bobby_diggy

bobby_diggy New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    looking like the 2nd win in a row, got a first innings lead of 9 & they are 7-105 35 overs into their 2nd innings - hopefully roll them quickly tomorrow, dont want to chase more than 130.

4. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just barely made the follow-on, taking Deacons' final wicket with a 156-run lead. I have no real worries about this match, but it could have been a hair touchy if I'd gone back in to bat, as I didn't set a second innings declaration and thus would have gone through the end of the day. It took 89 overs to bowl them out in their first innings.

5. bobby_diggy

bobby_diggy New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    talk about a close game, was cruising on the way to the 110 for victory (2-40 odd) so closed the browser window at work, came back to it about an hour later to see if i had wrapped the game up & was 8-98

luckily graham stuck in there & got me home by 1 wicket, i will take it.

6. bobby_diggy

bobby_diggy New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    now 2nd in my OD league after beating the decent bot from div IV yesterday, could advance to the 2nd round of BT-20 but was going to rest my better players for the FC dogfight coming up.

going to have my first remarkable in a few weeks so getting a little excited over that, bit sad really :)

7. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    lost to Doctors on friday and then Tythe Barn in the cup. The Doctors match was one that was winnable. my bowlers were too tired for the cup match. Thank for for this BT20 nonsense. now i can rest my good players for the 2nd half of the season.

8. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks as though Sarge will be one of the Windies' two inaugural inductees into the BT HOF, along with legendary fast bowler Adam Janes.

9. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    woohoo. glad Sarge got in!

I'm trying to figure out how far to train Olivier. I may keep him on a few nets until he gets to elite in primary, but I'm not sure I want to have his wage bill, or if I have the patience for that, or if I'll have the nets to spare.

10. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you get him into a national team and the secondaries aren't outrageous, the wage bill for one elite player is pretty manageable, and you could probably get by even if he doesn't make a national team.

11. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    hmmm, something to seriously consider them. By the time he turns 21 I hope he'll be exquisite/sensational with superb stamina. then it is just a matter of keeping two nets on him and hopefully he'll hit elite before he turns 25

12. bobby_diggy

bobby_diggy New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    on the way to my 3rd straight FC win - met my class level :D

lead by 160 runs & need 6 more wickets without having to bat again. graham scored 192*

ended up spending 4m on a ************ remarkable bowler in the hope of being able to sneak a couple of wins against the teams in 2nd-4th with him set to attacking, if it fails i can always sell him at the end of the season & just lose some interest.

13. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remarkable is a fine skill level for a bowler. I have two of them, and only one better (and him at wonderful).

14. bobby_diggy

bobby_diggy New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    agreed, what i meant by ************ is that his con is only mediocre. if he can snare me a couple of high level bats set to attacking & keep me in div IV it will be good.

15. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Been awhile since i could watch one of my games live -- I need to be off on Friday mornings more often :D

My spinner (who is superb/superb) has 8 wickets in four overs.

I have asked him to marry me ... ;)

16. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    on my way to losing to Peters Utd. won't be able to bowl him out so I needed a really high total and that isn't going to happen

End of Over 27: 104-3, runrate=3.85
    Douglas 7-1-16-1
    Mapie* 47 (62 balls)
    Black 0 (4 balls)

Last Wicket: Spearitt b. Douglas 34 (FOW: 104/3)

17. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    put up 251 thanks to Olivier and Mapie batting very well for the 5th wicket. my bowlers right now are playing out of their skin (especially T Wild!)

End of Over 14: 64-5, runrate=4.57, reqrunrate=5.22 (251-4)
    Wild 2-0-8-2
    Haughton* 2 (4 balls)
    Heelam 4 (4 balls)

Last Wicket: Childs c. Harris b. Wild 5 (FOW: 58/5)

18. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    HUGE win over Peters Utd! His first loss of the season.

19. bobby_diggy

bobby_diggy New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    3-399 @ stumps, the team in 5th is losing to the team in 6th, so if i can win i am still a chance to stay up.

graham popped to remarkable batting this week :)

oh yeah, play the team in 5th in 2 games at home, am going to play scrub bowlers in my next FC game (have little chance & just try to pick up some bonus points) & rest the 6 trainees to be ready for that game to go all in.

anyone got a better plan?

20. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're playing for bonus points, you may not want to use scrubs, depending on how overmatched you are.

21. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    agree with the above post.

I'll easily win my FC match this week and have a huge ODer against Carib Beer on friday. A win isn't a necessity but it would do wonders for my bid to stay up!

22. bobby_diggy

bobby_diggy New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    it may not matter now :(

won by an innings but the team in 4th came from behind to win as well, so i am 27 points behind him, would be relying on him losing to me & dropping games.

23. bobby_diggy

bobby_diggy New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    equal 1st in my OD league after beating the top team at home yesterday by 8 wickets, have a lot of NRR to make up though.

24. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it looks like the game that will decide promotion in III.7 between Norse and Peters Utd is definitely going to have a result. Norse was put in to bat first and managed only 158 runs before being bowled out; though out of form, Sarge was still the star of the innings posting an unbeaten 91 on 87 balls, with the next highest score 26. Fortunately, the bowlers made amends (led by seamer Greg Morrell's four wickets), leaving Peters with nine wickets down and a total of 219 runs at the end of the day. Danger man Silk was dismissed on only 15 runs, but Bryant and Childs rescued the innings for Peters, posting 67 and 71 runs, respectively.

With conditions likely to continue to favor bowlers, it will be interesting to see where the second innings go. I'd expect that Norse's second innings will begin very early tomorrow, and hopefully we'll be able to post a more respectable total, say toward 300. If the back end for Peters can survive for another 21 runs, then Norse will be cooked, as Peters will have doubled up our one bonus point edge and have control of the series even with a Norse win; otherwise, a Norse win would send things most likely to tiebreakers, which is wickets with level wins/losses. Where Peters had a 6-wicket edge in the first match, I would need to set a defendable total on four wickets or less in the second innings to recover the tiebreak in the second innings here, which seems pretty unlikely.

25. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, as it turns out, I was a little overmatched in this one:
    Norse Athletic Club Peters Utd
    Top Order: exceptional miraculous :eek:
    Middle Order: superb superb
    Lower Order: abysmal worthless
    Seam Bowling: superb remarkable
    Spin Bowling: remarkable quality
    Fielding: feeble woeful

Sarge was out for 50 run out. This time, I got a little bit of a stand from Ritchie posting a half century, but Willie was gone for a duck and Morrell only got 24. The bowlers were able to get Silk cheaply, but the target of under 90 runs was way too low to defend.

I'd like for Willie to be a good opener, as he's tied for being my second-best bat and defensive as well, but he doesn't seem to put up good totals there. I may have to go back to using him in the middle order.